200,000 angry customers

https://www.mylondon.news/news/uk-wo...emand-24526009

Re: Stop the Replacement of People By Machines -Tesco

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    Any of the good folk on here sign this petition ? Lets get to 300,000

https://www.change.org/p/tesco-stop-...33211416-en-GB

200,000 angry customers

https://www.mylondon.news/news/uk-wo...emand-24526009
    On the other hand, many employers are scratching around for workers in lower paid jobs and we moan when announcements are made regarding problems due to staff shortages and illness. As for the comment "I love chatting with the staff, albeit briefly, especially as l live on my own. Talking with human staff is important to me. Now that experience has been taken away": one can sympathise but supermarkets are not part of social services.
    I have just come back from Asda where there about 30 tills on the go. Had most of them (rather than few of them) been manned, it would represent a financial burden to the employer (which would affect prices, no doubt) and I doubt that they could man 30 tills with staff on a Tuesday morning even if they wanted to.

I visited a Tesco Extra last week and immediately noticed the self-service area had been massively expanded while tills with humanoids checking out had shrunk to six.

This is the type of 'progress' that'll see us eating grasshopper sandwiches served by robots.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I visited a Tesco Extra last week and immediately noticed the self-service area had been massively expanded while tills with humanoids checking out had shrunk to six.

This is the type of 'progress' that'll see us eating grasshopper sandwiches served by robots.
    You probably knit your own socks, Morg.

I signed it last week. I doubt it will have any affect on Tesco, but it may embarrass them a bit - which is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I signed it last week. I doubt it will have any affect on Tesco, but it may embarrass them a bit - which is better than nothing.
    Do most people really need another human being to scan each item of their shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    You probably knit your own socks, Morg.
    I was there as a good neighbour purchasing two packets of panadol for 29p apiece which were price matched with Aldi.

Stated previously am befuddled with that joint being rammed when anyone can locate price comparisons online with Tesco, Aldi, Morrisons and Asda. Tesco is always shown as the most expensive.

Do most people really need another human being to scan each item of their shopping?
    Most people - no

Some people - yes

Most people - no

Some people - yes
    Well the supermarkets I visit do have some humans to assist those who do. Ironically, the longest queues are in Lidl where they have no automated tills down here.

I was there as a good neighbour purchasing two packets of panadol for 29p apiece which were price matched with Aldi.

Stated previously am befuddled with that joint being rammed when anyone can locate price comparisons online with Tesco, Aldi, Morrisons and Asda. Tesco is always shown as the most expensive.
    Your neighbour suffers from severe headaches and you spent 58p thinking you were a help rather than logging out of Bitchute? Turn off the subterranean VPN in the bunker and ask about their mental health a couple of hours later. Could do wonders for the neighbourhood!

Most people - no

Some people - yes
    Incidentally, I recall quite recently you were a fan of 2cellos. I thought you might be interested in the work of the late Victor Borge, an excellent pianist and great wit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NtMbQGn31c or watch below.

The living dont leave the house wage is fast approaching .

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Your neighbour suffers from severe headaches and you spent 58p thinking you were a help rather than logging out of Bitchute? Turn off the subterranean VPN in the bunker and ask about their mental health a couple of hours later. Could do wonders for the neighbourhood!
    Cyril, you have no competition for the crown of CCMB's crustiest codger. One may emerge. Enjoy your reign.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The living dont leave the house wage is fast approaching .
    Driverless vehicles will see hundreds of thousands of Britons head for the Jobcentre. Train drivers and guards will join them. Elon Musk finds it difficult to think of anything a machine cannot do better than a human. Robots will build other robots better and faster too.

Briefly, we are fecked.

Soylent Green is People! - Classic Movie Scene. Predictive?

Driverless vehicles will see hundreds of thousands of Britons head for the Jobcentre. Train drivers and guards will join them. Elon Musk finds it difficult to think of anything a machine cannot do better than a human. Robots will build other robots better and faster too.

Briefly, we are fecked.
    Stop right there ,: much of the world Is a victim to perpetual war, omnipresent government surveillance, historical negationism, and propaganda.

Human nature is controlled and to love is to fear the torture and threats from the Party.

Love is betrayal and human nature is to fight against this betrayal.

War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength.

Cyril, you have no competition for the crown of CCMB's crustiest codger. One may emerge. Enjoy your reign.
    L'etat ce moi

Most people - no

Some people - yes
    I agree. I am also accutely aware that society is losing a hold of the value and number of human interactions, in the name of 'ease', but 'ease' rarely makes us happier.

There is a middle ground to be achieved but I think some human interaction is very important. We've had this discussion elsewhere, but it's like with the use of cash v card etc, it's good to use both, and sometimes I'll nip through the self serve machines, but if I have more than a half dozen items I will normally use the checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I agree. I am also accutely aware that society is losing a hold of the value and number of human interactions, in the name of 'ease', but 'ease' rarely makes us happier.

There is a middle ground to be achieved but I think some human interaction is very important. We've had this discussion elsewhere, but it's like with the use of cash v card etc, it's good to use both, and sometimes I'll nip through the self serve machines, but if I have more than a half dozen items I will normally use the checkout.
    But why should supermarkets fill the human void? Why not go down to your local tyrefitter for a natter? Or call up an electrician? Or pop around to the nearest accountant for a chinwag?

But why should supermarkets fill the human void? Why not go down to your local tyrefitter for a natter? Or call up an electrician? Or pop around to the nearest accountant for a chinwag?
    Well, you can do that too I guess, but people tend to go to the supermarket or shops significantly more often and for some it does fulfil more of a social role.

Supermarkets themselves recognise that, and things like the cafe's, kids rides, piped music etc rather point to it too.

This issue is automation in a nutshell really. Most people are better off, a minority are negatively affected. We are not currently a population who stands up for themselves so eventually automation will have a negative affect on everybody except the very tiny minority at the top, who win.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    This issue is automation in a nutshell really. Most people are better off, a minority are negatively affected. We are not currently a population who stands up for themselves so eventually automation will have a negative affect on everybody except the very tiny minority at the top, who win.
    That sums it up nicely. As a society we were born into the notion of believing it to be right that we are willing slaves functioning for the benefit of the wealthy. If automation benefits them then it will be used to their good effect. The hoi polloi shall be otherwise utilised or not according to their bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Well, you can do that too I guess, but people tend to go to the supermarket or shops significantly more often and for some it does fulfil more of a social role.

Supermarkets themselves recognise that, and things like the cafe's, kids rides, piped music etc rather point to it too.
    The cafés are there to pull in the punters. They aren't included for altrusitic reasons. If chatting staff pull in the punters, no doubt the supermarkets will do a cost-benefit analysis on that aspect and make their decisions accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    We put our own petrol in at the Esso garage. We collect our own shopping from the shelves, by and large. We put air in our tyres using machines at Sainsbury's. We use ATM's. Nobody seems to use cobblers any more. We use the internet for shopping, purchasing flights and a lot else. We hire film services rather than going to Blockbuster etc etc etc. - and we no doubt reap the benefits to some degree in the prices we pay.
    However, I don't intend having a major argument with anyone about supermarket shopping so I'll shut up now

The cafés are there to pull in the punters. They aren't included for altrusitic reasons. If chatting staff pull in the punters, no doubt the supermarkets will do a cost-benefit analysis on that aspect and make their decisions accordingly.
    No I know that, but I mean it points to something that is not entirely a practical pursuit - like a coffee shop in a town centre is there for people who are shopping as a leisure pursuit, so too does a cafe in a supermarket.

I just think we all benefit from human social interaction and we risk endlessly reducing these at our peril.