+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tempted - as a response to higher food prices and survival?

Anyone tempted - as a response to higher food prices and survival?

Re: Anyone tempted - as a response to higher food prices and survival?

I'm trying to grow potatoes, sweetcorn, sweet potato, aubergine, peppers and tomatoes this year.
    Potatoes and corn looking good, the rest seems a bit hit and miss so far.

They say that the demand for allotments in Cardiff means that there's a waiting list, but half the allotments around the corner from me are empty.
    I'd say high prices are more likely to lead to someone nicking your lovingly-grown lettuces....

already am, front and back gardens both dug up, growing all sorts. 2 poly tunnels as well.

I handed my allotment back during covid, the " allotment enforcement officer " went to our site and said the grass on my paths were more than 15mm high this was during the 1st lockdown and I Felt driving to the allotment wasn't a " essential journey " but his reply was it was fine under my " exercise outing " , after a discussion on it, I told him to stick it

the funny thing is, our site has 120 allotments and I bet under 1/2 are ever used and really overgrown, yet my grass paths were over 15mm

Allotments are very satisfying ,wonderful place to meet folk , grow yer own ,prune a bush or two ,forge a lasting relationship with the earth and yes eat merrily stuff like onions , spuds ,beets broad beans , peas , sprouts , carrots , tomatoes , fruit ,sweat corn , the majority of holders are women these days , and oh boy ,they know how to cultivate .

Picked the 1st lot of runner beans this morning. Otherwise what comes up each year - a couple of espalier apple trees, the ubiquitous rhubarb, quince [never made use of], and a cherry tree.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Allotments are very satisfying ,wonderful place to meet folk , grow yer own ,prune a bush or two ,forge a lasting relationship with the earth and yes eat merrily stuff like onions , spuds ,beets broad beans , peas , sprouts , carrots , tomatoes , fruit ,sweat corn , the majority of holders are women these days , and oh boy ,they know how to cultivate .
    mostly old guys at my old one, they would get up the allotment 8 ish, have a bacon sarnie and a cup of tea / coffee, then a few beers in the afternoon, then head home for tea, they have a " mess hut " with kitchen in it, all chip in a few quid a week for the tea and coffee, worked well as a social thing

Thought this was going to be a thread about "urban foraging" in supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    They say that the demand for allotments in Cardiff means that there's a waiting list, but half the allotments around the corner from me are empty.
    I'd say high prices are more likely to lead to someone nicking your lovingly-grown lettuces....
    The council tried to start an allotment site here in St Mellons many years ago but there were no takers...
    I wonder why?

Home brew is the way forward.

As Voltaire said in Candide: We must cultivate our garden

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I grow the full range at my allotment, and toms, cucumbers, chilli peppers and various lettuces at home. Tried aubergines and peppers last year, but I think we had too little sun.

Real range of people down my allotments - men and women of all ages.

I went to a gig a little while back for the first time in ages and it felt quite 'rock and roll' fighting my way to the bar like the old days. Got to the front of the queue and next to me was Bob from the allotments, so we exchanged news on our broad beans. How times have changed!

Allotment owning seems like a constant battle though. Only last week something had all of my lovingly cultivated parsnips!

I've been trying to get a plot at several of the allottments near me, but they've got massive waiting lists, or not responding to my emails at all.

It's an excellent idea - practical, fun, good for wellbeing, great for kids and can save a little money, even if you are just growing things in your garden.

Runner beans and tomatoes are my recommendation..

About seven years ago, I turned the garden over to growing veg, building three raised beds.
    It was exciting in the beginning and I grew a variety of veg but it became progressively harder - not least, because of the hard work and the cost.
    The last straw was a crop of potatoes which were growing well one minute, and the next were decimated by blight. All that work gone overnight!.
    It seemed that I was fighting a continuous battle against bugs and snails/slugs. Once again I have grown runners which have been badly affected by black fly again. Cabbages were grazing grounds for caterpillars.
    I'm not sure I want to go thru all that again after replacing the veg patch with a great flower bed (if I say so meself)

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I handed my allotment back during covid, the " allotment enforcement officer " went to our site and said the grass on my paths were more than 15mm high this was during the 1st lockdown and I Felt driving to the allotment wasn't a " essential journey " but his reply was it was fine under my " exercise outing " , after a discussion on it, I told him to stick it

the funny thing is, our site has 120 allotments and I bet under 1/2 are ever used and really overgrown, yet my grass paths were over 15mm
    People like him loved the power when it was only guidance “ allotment enforcement officer “ FfS

International

Not worth the effort, cheaper and easier to buy veg, how much do you make an hour growing your own 50p?

International

About seven years ago, I turned the garden over to growing veg, building three raised beds.
    It was exciting in the beginning and I grew a variety of veg but it became progressively harder - not least, because of the hard work and the cost.
    The last straw was a crop of potatoes which were growing well one minute, and the next were decimated by blight. All that work gone overnight!.
    It seemed that I was fighting a continuous battle against bugs and snails/slugs. Once again I have grown runners which have been badly affected by black fly again. Cabbages were grazing grounds for caterpillars.
    I'm not sure I want to go thru all that again after replacing the veg patch with a great flower bed (if I say so meself)
    Agreed I can't see the attraction and if it's in your garden it would like a right mess?

First Team

Growing Strawberries, raspberries,courgettes and potatoes in the garden.

Mixed results but as this is the first year of trying happy to bumble along.

Not sure I will expand the fruit and veg growing but a certain amount of satisfaction.

Can’t see Waitrose being too concerned despite me going all organic or at least my definition which may not be textbook.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Not worth the effort, cheaper and easier to buy veg, how much do you make an hour growing your own 50p?
    Oh, there is definitely no viable business plan for growing your own stuff. It's about more than that. Some people get that. Others don't.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Oh, there is definitely no viable business plan for growing your own stuff. It's about more than that. Some people get that. Others don't.
    I kind of get it, but it's not for me, each to their own

Ofcourse there is more to growing your own than the bottom line. As Voltaire said: we must cultivate our garden

I enjoy it, don't get down there too often but try and keep low maintenance stuff. Asparagus, Strawberries, raspberries and a few fruit trees, they pretty much look after themselves and give us decent crops. My old man grows beans and shallots down there. Potatoes are doing great again this year, always worth buying decent seed potatoes and making sure you're rotating from year to year.

Courgettes and cucumbers are great for gardens, crop like buggery

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Agreed I can't see the attraction and if it's in your garden it would like a right mess?
    Actually, the veg beds looked good.
    Regimentally straight beds; gradual gradation from low at front to back and colourful leaves of chard and lettuce etc.
    You'll think me very strange, but the worst thing for me was seeing caterpillar poo over the cauli heads.