+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When are we going to sign some new strikers?

When are we going to sign some new strikers?

Our first preseason friendly is today and the Championship season starts in three weeks. At the moment it looks like Mark Harris and Max Watters will play up front against Norwich.

Re: When are we going to sign some new strikers?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...riker-24437480

No strikers close to signing imminently according to WalesOnline. I wonder what Steve Morison's plan says about scoring goals this season.

I'd rather we take our time finding the right strikers, instead of taking any of those now-available 35 year old's WalesOnline mentioned a few weeks ago.

I cant see us starting 2 strikers. Still 3 weeks to go. Otherwise I think it will be Harris up front on his own with Sawyers or Colwill as 10.

I can believe the article when it says that it isn’t for the want of trying that we’ve not signed a striker, but, apart from Bale (who may or may not have come close to signing for us) I can’t think of a goal scorer we’ve been linked with. Striker was always going to the hardest position to fill and without a good size transfer budget it seems to me that we’re fast getting into a position where we’ll be limiting ourselves to loan signings that could well not become available until sides are are in a better position to know who they can let out on loan.

We don't need strikers.
    Just 5 or 6 centre backs, the other team won't score and we get at least a point a game - more if we fluke a pelanty.

Jack Dash was available until he popped his clogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I cant see us starting 2 strikers. Still 3 weeks to go. Otherwise I think it will be Harris up front on his own with Sawyers or Colwill as 10.
    Mark Harris can't play up front on his own - he's a second striker and so is Isaak Davies. Max Watters isn't a target man either.

No doubt he has plans, he brought in two in January so I’d be amazed if we didn’t see at least two strikers come in. Probably a waiting game as prem clubs sign and decide who to loan out. A striker is always going to be the hardest gap to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Our first preseason friendly is today and the Championship season starts in three weeks. At the moment it looks like Mark Harris and Max Watters will play up front against Norwich.
    I think both are half decent strikers , need to avoid signing another striker who is not both costly and just wants away as soon as he scored 10 goals .

For me the initial start of the season has to be cementing a solid performance in defence and midfield , once we know hat that looks like we can then consider our options as to what we want in a striker ,they come in all types of category from large lads we smack the ball up to , to smaller fox in the box types

A strong experienced striker on a free would be perfect, even if last year of their career. Much like when we got Heidar Helgusson in the Malky Promotion year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    A strong experienced striker on a free would be perfect, even if last year of their career. Much like when we got Heidar Helgusson in the Malky Promotion year.
    Exactly. Not sure what people expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Dries Mertens, 35, available on a free, 11 goals in Serie A last season

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Exactly. Not sure what people expect.
    I'm expecting us to follow the rest of our transfer activity. Getting younger, fitter and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Ooopoh alleged weekly wage of 150k might explain his release . 11 goals equates to 13.6k a goal

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Would be immense

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I'm expecting us to follow the rest of our transfer activity. Getting younger, fitter and faster.
    I think we need to be realistic and pragmatic too. There needs to be a few older experienced heads in this squad otherwise it’ll be lambs to the slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I think we need to be realistic and pragmatic too. There needs to be a few older experienced heads in this squad otherwise it’ll be lambs to the slaughter.
    100% agree with that. Just not sure striker is the place for it, given our lack of options there at the moment.

I think so - Watters, Davies and Harris are all relatively inexperienced. A veteran striker would help (who isn’t James Collins!)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    100% agree with that. Just not sure striker is the place for it, given our lack of options there at the moment.
    🤙

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think both are half decent strikers , need to avoid signing another striker who is not both costly and just wants away as soon as he scored 10 goals .

For me the initial start of the season has to be cementing a solid performance in defence and midfield , once we know hat that looks like we can then consider our options as to what we want in a striker ,they come in all types of category from large lads we smack the ball up to , to smaller fox in the box types
    Which is why I am disappointed that we haven’t signed a centre back.
    Nelson is clearly not championship standard yet I can see him gettin an automatic spot at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Which is why I am disappointed that we haven’t signed a centre back.
    Nelson is clearly not championship standard yet I can see him gettin an automatic spot at the moment
    We'll bring at least one CB in.

Striker is always the hardest position to fill and most expensive! Dont think there's been a huge amount of movement with strikers across the league. Anyone who we are interested in on loan doesn't seem to be being let out just yet. I appreciate most clubs probably have more equipped strikers than we do, but that doesn't change the market.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Ooopoh alleged weekly wage of 150k might explain his release . 11 goals equates to 13.6k a goal
    He’s been made redundant, on £zero per week. He’ll be down the job centre or the MLS

Maybe Morison is trying to be Pep and play with a false 9 (whatever that means). Instead of 532 352 or 4231, maybe he fancies's going 433 with anyone who fancies it going down the middle.
    We're doomed 🙂

I suspect that we've been trying our very best to get strikers, there was a list of 10-15 and we've been unable to get 1-10 and we're going to end up with some distinctly average journeyman but probably not because of bad scouting or any lack of effort