+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Save Democracy Petition

Save Democracy Petition

https://www.change.org/p/reinstate-boris-johnson-as-pm

The prime minster of the United Kingdom was democratically voted in by the people of the UK, with a huge majority, yet 50 politicians, with the help of the media have over ruled that decision. We the people demand he is reinstated until such times, we the people , decide to vote him out.

Re: Save Democracy Petition

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

The prime minster of the United Kingdom was democratically voted in by the people of the UK, with a huge majority, yet 50 politicians, with the help of the media have over ruled that decision. We the people demand he is reinstated until such times, we the people , decide to vote him out.
    I’ll pass on that one given the PM involved and ask why it is that the last three Prime Ministers has been decided by three hundred and fifty or so MPs and around 200,000 members of a political party? When Cameron stood down in 2016 , there was a feeling that it was in exceptional circumstances, but now, because this exclusive group have proved to be so poor in their judgement of what makes a good PM, it’s become the norm and we’re having one of these”beauty contests” every three years - what sort of democracy is that?

The Prime Minister of the UK was not democratically voted in by the people of the UK.

The Conservative Party was 'democratically voted' into power with a majority of 80 seats (since reduced a fair bit).

The Conservative Party (MPs for the short list, members for winner) selected its leader from amongst its MPs, and that person became Prime Minister.

The people choose the governing party. The governing party chooses its leader and therefore the Prime Minister.

We do not have a presidential system.

Crap petition.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ll pass on that one given the PM involved and ask why it is that the last three Prime Ministers has been decided by three hundred and fifty or so MPs and around 200,000 members of a political party? When Cameron stood down in 2016 , there was a feeling that it was in exceptional circumstances, but now, because this exclusive group have proved to be so poor in their judgement of what makes a good PM, it’s become the norm and we’re having one of these”beauty contests” every three years - what sort of democracy is that?
    It's called Parliamentary Democracy Bob.

Imperfect, but what we've got.

Can you suggest a better system?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The Prime Minister of the UK was not democratically voted in by the people of the UK.

The Conservative Party was 'democratically voted' into power with a majority of 80 seats (since reduced a fair bit).

The Conservative Party (MPs for the short list, members for winner) selected its leader from amongst its MPs, and that person became Prime Minister.

The people choose the governing party. The governing party chooses its leader and therefore the Prime Minister.

Crap petition.
    We don't often agree.

But we do on this occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    It's called Parliamentary Democracy Bob.

Imperfect, but what we've got.

Can you suggest a better system?
    Some form of proportional representation would improve things - I still struggle to understand why people voted against it about a decade ago.

As I mentioned, I’ve no problem with a Prime Minister being replaced once in a while in the manner Cameron was because it’s unavoidable sometimes, but the last twice it’s happened has been down to an electorate (consisting of a tiny percentage of UK voters) who have proved they are nowhere near as discerning and sophisticated as they like to think they are - appointing May and Johnson and leaving themselves with a choice of Sunak and Truss are dreadful decisions.

Explain how the people of the UK voted for Boris Johnson to be Prime Minister being that he got that role 2 years after the general election

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Crap petition.
    spot on

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Explain how the people of the UK voted for Boris Johnson to be Prime Minister being that he got that role 2 years after the general election
    umm..

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    umm..
    I think he was saying he mirrored the path of his predecessor.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think he was saying he mirrored the path of his predecessor.
    I feel like something is going right over my head..

Enlightenment?

Ok. I'll try this a bit slower. Theresa May became Prime Minister when Cameron stepped aside and the Johnson/Gove alliance collapsed within a week of the 2016 vote. She sought to legitimise her Premiership with a snap election and The Prime Minister of the UK was democratically voted in by the people of the UK.

Her attempts to deliver a Brexit outcome came to nought. Ultimately she was thwarted by about 50 politicians in the ERG and a few in her Cabinet, most notably, Boris Johnson who resigned and helped force her out.

This led to Boris Johnson becoming Prime Minister, democratically voted in by the people of the UK, with a huge majority. Apparently because of 50 politicians, most of whom gave him a standing ovation in the Commons yesterday, he was undemocratically ousted and needs to be reinstated.

Any help you need on 12 years of stability and strong government rather than the chaos that could have ensued, feel free to ask!

Ok. I'll try this a bit slower. Theresa May became Prime Minister when Cameron stepped aside and the Johnson/Gove alliance collapsed within a week of the 2016 vote. She sought to legitimise her Premiership with a snap election and The Prime Minister of the UK was democratically voted in by the people of the UK.

Her attempts to deliver a Brexit outcome came to nought. Ultimately she was thwarted by about 50 politicians in the ERG and a few in her Cabinet, most notably, Boris Johnson who resigned and helped force her out.

This led to Boris Johnson becoming Prime Minister, democratically voted in by the people of the UK, with a huge majority. Apparently because of 50 politicians, most of whom gave him a standing ovation in the Commons yesterday, he was undemocratically ousted and needs to be reinstated.

Any help you need on 12 years of stability and strong government rather than the chaos that could have ensued, feel free to ask!
    All correct of but I’d also throw in this https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/23/boris...6-us-10443584/ - none of us voted for Boris Johnson.

Has worked both ways historically of course, Labour and Tory, and there’s no denying The Tories were democratically elected, but if the OP says that Johnson was voted in by the British public it’s just plain wrong

Okay, yes, well all true..

But the reason he was prime minister in 2021 is because he was head of the party that won the General Election in 2019. It read as if Delmbox had forgotten about the 2019 election, which I know a man of his calibre and access to wikipedia would never do!

On the wider topic, we don't have a presidential election, we elect MP's to represent us, who form parties and the most MP's in any party form a government which has a leader. It's imperfect I guess and perhaps not how many people think in practice, but yeah, only the people of Uxbridge elected Boris Johnson.

In these circumstances, I'd probably rather MP's choose a new leader, rather than a party membership, but so be it.

Honestly...why on earth would you want to keep that lying psycho as PM.

One could argue he was elected on the manifesto of his party , at the time he was its leader and campaigned as so , unless I'm missing something someone voted for him and his party ,it doesn't matter if 50 ERG members got him or out to , folk still had to tick a box on election day and they endorsed him and his party, yep was elected by the people and the last line states of the petition is key , see below

"" We the people demand he is reinstated until such times, we the people , decide to vote him out ""

Labour were also calling for an election before after his party removed him and before and folk were happy about that .

You could argue that if an elected PM is removed it automatically becomes an election as its usually a major crisis that causes such changes .