+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: England womens team is too white

England womens team is too white

Thoughts? I can see the broader picture in reflecting society, but you pick the best team. Sometimes that will be disproportionately non-white (very often is actually) and sometimes not. Unhelpful race baiting for me. I grew up as a child wanting to be John Barnes. I'm not sure the authors message is the right one to send out.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ness-diversity

Re: England womens team is too white

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Thoughts? I can see the broader picture in reflecting society, but you pick the best team. Sometimes that will be disproportionately non-white (very often is actually) and sometimes not. Unhelpful race baiting for me. I grew up as a child wanting to be John Barnes. I'm not sure the authors message is the right one to send out.

Agreed. How is the John Barnes bit coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Agreed. How is the John Barnes bit coming along?
    After a relatively small number of beers I am very happy to perform the requisite parts of the Anfield Rap.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Isn't she just saying that with the women's game going from strength to strength, they need to make sure they diversify the areas they go looking for talent?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Isn't she just saying that with the women's game going from strength to strength, they need to make sure they diversify the areas they go looking for talent?
    Possibly. I'm sure that is part of her argument - but if that's the case, why have England managed to pick a disproportionately large number of black players in the past? The vast majority of WSL teams are in very diverse areas. The Champions Chelsea have a pretty diverse team. What does this mean when England teams in various sports have a lower than expected number of white players? Is that an issue?

It's a pretty shady area IMO. Important to try and reflect society, I agree, but I'm not sure trying to find a negative when it doesn't is entirely healthy or progressive. And as I allude to above, this idea that someone can only look up to someone of the same race is pretty dangerous territory for me.

I was just saying to a mate the other day there were no black or mixed race players in the England women's team

They could do with a few redheads too, what have they got against redheads?

I'd have to defer to those with a greater knowledge, longevity as CCMB members and memory than me, but has a topic ever been moved from the Politics Board to the Main Board?

The reason I ask, is that this one would qualify imo. #football

Simples , change the bloody shirt colour , dear lord how difficult is this stuff....

Liverpool Man U/C Chelsea Arsenal etc etc etc...are too foreign?

Transpose white for any other colour and there would be outrage. Whites are always fair game though and have been for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Transpose white for any other colour and there would be outrage. Whites are always fair game though and have been for some time.

Is there time for this Armageddon to beat the one arriving by the end of this week?

Can't say for sure. Something I am very confident of is when you're instructed to again you will obediently don what these people weren't fussy on wearing when they thought TV cameras had stopped filming them. Lemmings will be lemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    They could do with a few redheads too, what have they got against redheads?
    Or really fat girls