+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre comments by Drakeford

Bizarre comments by Drakeford

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/m...rmers-24559024

Do Bangladeshi taxi drivers have a particular objection to farm subsidies?

Re: Bizarre comments by Drakeford

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

That's a really bad report with a quote that appears bizarre but seems to referring to his Riverside constituents. The whole piece is a mess and badly written. The quote from Drakeford does detract from the really positive environmental story behind this but I really don't think that's his fault.

On principle I agree with Drakeford, every piece of expenditure should be justified to tax payers. To be honest, I wish he would say things like that more often. That said, it's a little tactless and that he chooses to say it now does lead him to accusations of his priorities lying away from farmers. Why not say it to Welsh language campaigners that their funding will need to be justifiable to tax payers in Flintshire, or why not say funding on free school meals will need to be justified to parentless families etc etc etc? It's a bit divisive.

He's an oddball that I can't take to, but the principle is right though, and I also think that it's good we can manage farming subsidies better now than under the CAP - remember when people said Brexit would remove powers from the senedd? And here we have our elected first minister determining how funding should be allocated - and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    That's a really bad report with a quote that appears bizarre but seems to referring to his Riverside constituents. The whole piece is a mess and badly written. The quote from Drakeford does detract from the really positive environmental story behind this but I really don't think that's his fault.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62258709

The report on the BBC News website has the full quote. It is a bizarre thing for him to have said, unless everyone who lives in Riverside is a Bangladeshi taxi driver.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62258709

The report on the BBC News website has the full quote. It is a bizarre thing for him to have said, unless everyone who lives in Riverside is a Bangladeshi taxi driver.
    Fair enough. Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    On principle I agree with Drakeford, every piece of expenditure should be justified to tax payers. To be honest, I wish he would say things like that more often. That said, it's a little tactless and that he chooses to say it now does lead him to accusations of his priorities lying away from farmers. Why not say it to Welsh language campaigners that their funding will need to be justifiable to tax payers in Flintshire, or why not say funding on free school meals will need to be justified to parentless families etc etc etc? It's a bit divisive.

He's an oddball that I can't take to, but the principle is right though, and I also think that it's good we can manage farming subsidies better now than under the CAP - remember when people said Brexit would remove powers from the senedd? And here we have our elected first minister determining how funding should be allocated - and rightly so.
    Not that I want to but I can't argue with that. Good post. Have a fab day Mr J!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Has he justified the £33m that the Senedd are to spend on reducing the general speed limit to 20mph next year?

He's clever how he makes out both he and Bangladeshi taxi drivers live in the same part of Cardiff. True, it's all 'Riverside', but I doubt many of those taxi drivers live in leafy Pontcanna with him and his Taffia chums..

Thought it was odd when I heard it yesterday.
    I eventually thought it was a thinly veiled reference to the effects of flooding in the taxi drivers' homeland, and how planting some trees will alleviate climate change and the devastating floods Bangladesh experiences every year. If he wants to justify to some taxi drivers they should be paying their taxes then that's not the way to do it. If Mr Drakeford knows that some of them don't pay then he only has to report them to HMRC.

Drakeford is a knackered old horse , he needs to be taken down the road

They don't know yet as they don't listen to him anyway.

However he hopes his Uber rating shoots up soon .

I think he realises he's pissed off taxi drivers with the 20mph and now wants to reach out to them by providing farm subsidies to enable small farms to be grow on the roofs of their cabs ...

The man needs to think out of his box

Senile old prick. Are all taxi drivers Bangladeshi then?

Not his fault? I’m assuming he used the words Bangladeshi taxi drivers other wise why they would quote him?

No offence but holding up a taxi driver as the bastion of tax paying and what taxes are spent on is a ridiculous own goal in itself.

Nevermind about farming in wales, arguably one of the country’s biggest assets, what about the taxes of those Bangladeshi taxi drivers in a small part of the capital.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Senile old prick. Are all taxi drivers Bangladeshi then?
    It's very offensive and I am surprised he hasn't been pulled up for it

Not his fault? I’m assuming he used the words Bangladeshi taxi drivers other wise why they would quote him?

No offence but holding up a taxi driver as the bastion of tax paying and what taxes are spent on is a ridiculous own goal in itself.

Nevermind about farming in wales, arguably one of the country’s biggest assets, what about the taxes of those Bangladeshi taxi drivers in a small part of the capital.
    Whoa! LeningradCowboy linked a BBC article with the whole quote and I replied
    Fair enough. Agree.
    as I'm not going to defend the indefensible. I even agreed with JamesWales so even I knew it was bad! I just couldn't follow the WOL article as all the adverts and bad grammar **** with my ageing, brain-damaged eyes so enough of your ableist, ageist discrimination you f*cking fly-fisher person!

Ref:
    Senile old prick

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    can you imagine if Boris has said the same thing, the internet would have melted

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    can you imagine if Boris has said the same thing, the internet would have melted
    He did, much worse in fact, and the internet probably did melt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He did, much worse in fact, and the internet probably did melt.
    you do realise one of the CCMB fact checkers will be tippy tapping away to check and bring back evidence right now

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    you do realise one of the CCMB fact checkers will be tippy tapping away to check and bring back evidence right now
    I think that Drakeford is trying to make the distinction between complete opposites, socially, economically and ethnically. I don't know why he decided to say what he said, it's clumsy, although the point (if i'm reading it correctly) is that decisions made for the benefit of one group have to be fair to everyone, including Bangladeshi cab drivers in his constituency.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    So you’ve called someone a senile old prick then have the nerve to say his remark was offensive? Words fail me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    So you’ve called someone a senile old prick then have the nerve to say his remark was offensive? Words fail me.
    Actually, it was that nice man from the Yellow Pages adverts back in the day (who I'm strongly suspecting is not the same person but a clever Multi) wot said it!

Edit: wrote it. The man in the Yellow Pages ads never said that kind of thing. That mean JR Hartley poster, he's ruthless I tell you.

Sludge said:
    Drakeford is a knackered old horse , he needs to be taken down the road
    which I think deserves people's wrath too. I'd do it myself but I've already got my work cut out with JR.

Whoa! LeningradCowboy linked a BBC article with the whole quote and I replied as I'm not going to defend the indefensible. I even agreed with JamesWales so even I knew it was bad! I just couldn't follow the WOL article as all the adverts and bad grammar **** with my ageing, brain-damaged eyes so enough of your ableist, ageist discrimination you f*cking fly-fisher person!

Ref:
    I was reffering to Drakeford

You’ve had a mare here Croesy

I was reffering to Drakeford
    🤣🤣I did know that really otherwise it says a lot about my self esteem if I think “the f*cker’s singling me out here!” 🦯🦼😎