+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commonwealth Games

Re: Commonwealth Games

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Going up for the India game tomorrow, looking forward to it. The England game was a great bit of sport, plenty of Welsh support in the sell-out crowd and the players didn't let anyone down.

India have already won 11-0 and 8-0 this week, it could well be something similar tomorrow but it's their fourth game in five days so hopefully there'll be some tired legs. Probably wishful thinking though. My lad's 100th cap tomorrow - it'll be nice to be there for that, whatever the result.
    Really enjoyed the game against Ghana. Wales started very slowly but pulled away easily in the final quarter. Hopefully for you and your son (what's his name by the way) Wales will give us a performance to remember against India 🤞

Going up for the India game tomorrow, looking forward to it. The England game was a great bit of sport, plenty of Welsh support in the sell-out crowd and the players didn't let anyone down.

India have already won 11-0 and 8-0 this week, it could well be something similar tomorrow but it's their fourth game in five days so hopefully there'll be some tired legs. Probably wishful thinking though. My lad's 100th cap tomorrow - it'll be nice to be there for that, whatever the result.
    Checked out the Wales Hockey Squad and only one player currently on 99 caps (Initials DK ?). Anyhow good luck to you both tomorrow.

I watched a bit of England vIndia and was surprised to learn the eventual outcome because India looked to be comfortably the better team - they were 3-0 and 4-1 up before being pulled back to 4-4 weren’t they?

That suggests some tiredness on India’s part and, with such a congested fixture list for them you never know, but I’m guessing Wales have already fulfilled most people’ s realistic expectations for the tournament? Best of luck and congratulations to your boy on a great achievement- 100 caps for Wales puts him in a very exclusive club.

100 caps , well done your lad , enjoy the day

Have a great day Loramski - proud parent days are to be treasured.

First Team

That is quite some achievement.
    I am guessing you are one very proud parent.

Congratulations to him, and good luck against India 👍

Cant watch drug induced sports

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Cant watch drug induced sports
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    ?
    Chasing the dragon is anti-Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Chasing the dragon is anti-Welsh.
    I thought he was giving his opinion on men's hockey?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Checked out the Wales Hockey Squad and only one player currently on 99 caps (Initials DK ?). Anyhow good luck to you both tomorrow.
    Thank you, and thanks all. Those stats were correct at the start of the tournament, my lad was on 96 so made the 100 today. They made an announcement as the teams were being presented at the start, a nice moment, especially as the Indian players joined in the applause too. I was at his first game for Wales in 2014, in the shadow of the Nou Camp. I don't want to sound like a Love Island contestant but it's been quite a journey.

India weren't at their best today but were still too good for us. We gave them a game though. A few key incidents and decisions went against us but the 4-1 defeat was probably about right. No faulting the effort and commitment though, the reception the players got off the crowd at the end of the game was pretty moving. An amateur team punching above their weight in an increasingly professional sport, they earned the respect they got.

Thank you, and thanks all. Those stats were correct at the start of the tournament, my lad was on 96 so made the 100 today. They made an announcement as the teams were being presented at the start, a nice moment, especially as the Indian players joined in the applause too. I was at his first game for Wales in 2014, in the shadow of the Nou Camp. I don't want to sound like a Love Island contestant but it's been quite a journey.

India weren't at their best today but were still too good for us. We gave them a game though. A few key incidents and decisions went against us but the 4-1 defeat was probably about right. No faulting the effort and commitment though, the reception the players got off the crowd at the end of the game was pretty moving. An amateur team punching above their weight in an increasingly professional sport, they earned the respect they got.
    Congratulations to you and your lad!

The result is irrelevant. You must feel very proud of your son and rightly so. Good luck to you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    The result is irrelevant. You must feel very proud of your son and rightly so. Good luck to you both.
    Thanks again.

Went to watch the mens time trial, yesterday. Just a short drive/walk away. Mens race was in two batches so we had time for a spot of lunch between the two. The English guy who went straight into the barrier did so exactly where we had been standing before. The accident looked horrendous from our angle as though motorcycle/TV crew and support 4x4 were involved. An inexperienced steward had decided to stand on the outside of the bend for part two and looked to have been run over. Luckily, just a barrier badly damaged. A real shame about G. News filtered through via a steward and her WhatsApp group about his mishap early on. When he did come passed us, blink and you miss it, even with slowing for a bend.Anyone with an eagle eye may have spotted a few ayatollahs live on TV! A good day out.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    With under a week to go till the start

anybody going to any of the events ? ? ?

We are going to see a fair few netball games, both England and Wales games this time and the opening ceremony

should have really booked a few hotel nights aswell I guess
    Kids were waving the Welsh flag proudly at the rhythmic gymnastics yesterday…despite there being no Welsh competitors.

Lots of bucket hats on display. English wife had a chuckle as a bucket-er walked passed, draped in a Welsh flag eating a tray of curry and chips.

Good buzz in Birmingham.

We’re off to the wrestling in Coventry tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Went to watch the mens time trial, yesterday. Just a short drive/walk away. Mens race was in two batches so we had time for a spot of lunch between the two. The English guy who went straight into the barrier did so exactly where we had been standing before. The accident looked horrendous from our angle as though motorcycle/TV crew and support 4x4 were involved. An inexperienced steward had decided to stand on the outside of the bend for part two and looked to have been run over. Luckily, just a barrier badly damaged. A real shame about G. News filtered through via a steward and her WhatsApp group about his mishap early on. When he did come passed us, blink and you miss it, even with slowing for a bend.Anyone with an eagle eye may have spotted a few ayatollahs live on TV! A good day out.
    Every time I watch the cycling (which for me is in the main the T de F) it always makes me wonder how the cyclists can have confidence in their surroundings.

Giving it their all without fear of someone stepping out in front of them, one of the support cars/tv crews knocking into them or stopping suddenly, a fellow competitor in a large bunch making a mistake bringing the whole pack down.... and all they have for protection is a polystyrene helmet!

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Kids were waving the Welsh flag proudly at the rhythmic gymnastics yesterday…despite there being no Welsh competitors.

Lots of bucket hats on display. English wife had a chuckle as a bucket-er walked passed, draped in a Welsh flag eating a tray of curry and chips.

Good buzz in Birmingham.

We have had a great time, the amount of bucket hats have been crazy, it seems when people leave the house in Wales its :

Keys, phone, Wallet, bucket hat

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    We have had a great time, the amount of bucket hats have been crazy, it seems when people leave the house in Wales its :

Keys, phone, Wallet, bucket hat
    I was at the basketball last week. No Welsh teams but a few bucket hats around. There was also someone in the crowd with a Hungary flag. Never knew the Empire extended in that direction 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Every time I watch the cycling (which for me is in the main the T de F) it always makes me wonder how the cyclists can have confidence in their surroundings.

Giving it their all without fear of someone stepping out in front of them, one of the support cars/tv crews knocking into them or stopping suddenly, a fellow competitor in a large bunch making a mistake bringing the whole pack down.... and all they have for protection is a polystyrene helmet!
    How close the guy was to serious injury. Someone I know well was watching just a few feet away from the crash. She said his helmet stayed on but his visor was ripped off. Also, he was lucky not to be impaled as a vertical part of the barrier snapped partly off and was left sticking up. A good recce of the course is needed but, as you imply, a dangerous sport given the speeds they go. Oh....Welsh dragon flags on display from at least three different people on that bend, too.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    How close the guy was to serious injury. Someone I know well was watching just a few feet away from the crash. She said his helmet stayed on but his visor was ripped off. Also, he was lucky not to be impaled as a vertical part of the barrier snapped partly off and was left sticking up. A good recce of the course is needed but, as you imply, a dangerous sport given the speeds they go. Oh....Welsh dragon flags on display from at least three different people on that bend, too.
    The visors are designed to detach. They are more dangerous if they stay attached and break. As for a course recce G rode the course the day before. Whether the barrier was in the same place the day before I don't know, but it did seem odd to me that the barrier was in the middle of the road when it could have been further over towards the other side.

Hope G manages to stay on his bike on Sunday now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The visors are designed to detach. They are more dangerous if they stay attached and break. As for a course recce G rode the course the day before. Whether the barrier was in the same place the day before I don't know, but it did seem odd to me that the barrier was in the middle of the road when it could have been further over towards the other side.

Hope G manages to stay on his bike on Sunday now.
    I saw his tweet re receeing the course. A case of "good luck with that"" (course). Some really challenging sections in Sedgley.....used to be my route to work. The roads were closed off from 5.15am on race day so any reccee would not have been able to follow the exact route. The A449 was closed off in both directions with the race heading north on the wrong side of the road. This was to allow pedestrian access and blue route, if needed. Oddly, armed police were parked just behind where the accident was.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post

Good buzz in Birmingham.

They were on in the evening, good support. 2 individuals in the final today.