+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Commonwealth Games

Re: Commonwealth Games

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    That article is 12 months old. The 2026 games are being held in Victoria I think.
    The expense of hosting will be an ongoing issue, and I can see more regions (like Victoria) or even countries being future hosts, with events spread across a wider area.
    You're right.
    The number of compulsory sports (that have to be included by the hosts) has been cut from 16 to 2 (athletics and swimming), but Victoria has said it will have at least 16 (20 in Birmingham I think), so it might not be very different.
    It's being hosted across 4 cities, which definitely seems to be the way forward.

First Team

Despite my earlier post I have really enjoyed the games.

The Squash competition get really feisty in a couple of games which was a surprise.

Callum O'Dowda's sister Jade just won bronze in the heptathlon.

Great support for all sports. Like Majorblue I am thoroughly enjoying the games.
    And congratulations to Jade O’Dowda for coming third in the Heptathlon.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Wales gave England a bit of a fright beforelosing 4-2 and they beat Canada in their other game - India, who we'll almost certainly lose to, are the other team besides Ghana in their group. We’re 2-1 up on Ghana currently - make that 3-1.
    Going up for the India game tomorrow, looking forward to it. The England game was a great bit of sport, plenty of Welsh support in the sell-out crowd and the players didn't let anyone down.

India have already won 11-0 and 8-0 this week, it could well be something similar tomorrow but it's their fourth game in five days so hopefully there'll be some tired legs. Probably wishful thinking though. My lad's 100th cap tomorrow - it'll be nice to be there for that, whatever the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Going up for the India game tomorrow, looking forward to it. The England game was a great bit of sport, plenty of Welsh support in the sell-out crowd and the players didn't let anyone down.

India have already won 11-0 and 8-0 this week, it could well be something similar tomorrow but it's their fourth game in five days so hopefully there'll be some tired legs. Probably wishful thinking though. My lad's 100th cap tomorrow - it'll be nice to be there for that, whatever the result.
    Really enjoyed the game against Ghana. Wales started very slowly but pulled away easily in the final quarter. Hopefully for you and your son (what's his name by the way) Wales will give us a performance to remember against India 🤞

Checked out the Wales Hockey Squad and only one player currently on 99 caps (Initials DK ?). Anyhow good luck to you both tomorrow.

I watched a bit of England vIndia and was surprised to learn the eventual outcome because India looked to be comfortably the better team - they were 3-0 and 4-1 up before being pulled back to 4-4 weren’t they?

That suggests some tiredness on India’s part and, with such a congested fixture list for them you never know, but I’m guessing Wales have already fulfilled most people’ s realistic expectations for the tournament? Best of luck and congratulations to your boy on a great achievement- 100 caps for Wales puts him in a very exclusive club.

100 caps , well done your lad , enjoy the day

Have a great day Loramski - proud parent days are to be treasured.

First Team

That is quite some achievement.
    I am guessing you are one very proud parent.

Congratulations to him, and good luck against India 👍

Cant watch drug induced sports

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Cant watch drug induced sports
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    ?
    Chasing the dragon is anti-Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Chasing the dragon is anti-Welsh.
    I thought he was giving his opinion on men's hockey?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Checked out the Wales Hockey Squad and only one player currently on 99 caps (Initials DK ?). Anyhow good luck to you both tomorrow.
    Thank you, and thanks all. Those stats were correct at the start of the tournament, my lad was on 96 so made the 100 today. They made an announcement as the teams were being presented at the start, a nice moment, especially as the Indian players joined in the applause too. I was at his first game for Wales in 2014, in the shadow of the Nou Camp. I don't want to sound like a Love Island contestant but it's been quite a journey.

India weren't at their best today but were still too good for us. We gave them a game though. A few key incidents and decisions went against us but the 4-1 defeat was probably about right. No faulting the effort and commitment though, the reception the players got off the crowd at the end of the game was pretty moving. An amateur team punching above their weight in an increasingly professional sport, they earned the respect they got.

Thank you, and thanks all. Those stats were correct at the start of the tournament, my lad was on 96 so made the 100 today. They made an announcement as the teams were being presented at the start, a nice moment, especially as the Indian players joined in the applause too. I was at his first game for Wales in 2014, in the shadow of the Nou Camp. I don't want to sound like a Love Island contestant but it's been quite a journey.

India weren't at their best today but were still too good for us. We gave them a game though. A few key incidents and decisions went against us but the 4-1 defeat was probably about right. No faulting the effort and commitment though, the reception the players got off the crowd at the end of the game was pretty moving. An amateur team punching above their weight in an increasingly professional sport, they earned the respect they got.
    Congratulations to you and your lad!

The result is irrelevant. You must feel very proud of your son and rightly so. Good luck to you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    The result is irrelevant. You must feel very proud of your son and rightly so. Good luck to you both.
    Thanks again.