+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commonwealth Games

Commonwealth Games

With under a week to go till the start

anybody going to any of the events ? ? ?

We are going to see a fair few netball games, both England and Wales games this time and the opening ceremony

should have really booked a few hotel nights aswell I guess

Re: Commonwealth Games

Seeing some cricket on Friday but we might go up on Thursday to see of we can get a cheap ticket for the opening ceremony. If it doesn't sell out beforehand I think there's a chance of cheap tickets as they won't want to see empty seats on TV.

First Team

Is there a huge amount of enthusiasm for these games anymore?

It all seems rather low key to me

Didn’t even realise it was happening

waste of time

oh ! i mean sport in general

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

It does seem low key for now, yes, but BBC will be giving it blanket coverage so I'd expect interest to pick up once it starts. My youngest leaves in the morning to compete in his second one. It's going to be hard to top the Gold Coast but he's buzzing all the same. At least the journey to Birmingham shouldn't take so long but let's not call that quite yet.

It's not the Olympics but, of course, Wales have their own team in the Commonwealth Games and I assume every competitor takes enormous pride and pleasure in being a part of it. For most of the minority sports this is as big as it gets in a Welsh shirt, I hope the Games are a success and continue to be so.

The 2026 opening ceremony will be at the MCG by the way, I've already told my lad he doesn't want to miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    It does seem low key for now, yes, but BBC will be giving it blanket coverage so I'd expect interest to pick up once it starts. My youngest leaves in the morning to compete in his second one. It's going to be hard to top the Gold Coast but he's buzzing all the same. At least the journey to Birmingham shouldn't take so long but let's not call that quite yet.

It's not the Olympics but, of course, Wales have their own team in the Commonwealth Games and I assume every competitor takes enormous pride and pleasure in being a part of it. For most of the minority sports this is as big as it gets in a Welsh shirt, I hope the Games are a success and continue to be so.

The 2026 opening ceremony will be at the MCG by the way, I've already told my lad he doesn't want to miss that.
    what's your lad do ? ? ? was it a fencer ? ? or was that someone else on here

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

pretty big in the netball world to be fair, the worlds best 4 teams are competing, Aus, Eng, NZ and SA ( though they do play every year anyway in the quad series in January )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    what's your lad do ? ? ? was it a fencer ? ? or was that someone else on here
    Hockey. Wales will be up against it but they were competitive in '18 and hopefully will be again. It's just a great event to be a part of.

Hockey. Wales will be up against it but they were competitive in '18 and hopefully will be again. It's just a great event to be a part of.
    good luck to him ( and the team )

Does anyone give a shit about the Commonwealth?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    yes we all love the queen and battenburg cake, we established that a while back

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Just because you missed out on selection for the rhythmic gymnastics team again there's no need to be bitter about it. I don't know anyone who 'gives a shit' about the Commonwealth myself but I'm not sure that matters in relation to the Games themselves. Do you have to give a shit about Europe to be interested in the Euros? Or about England to be interested in the Premier League and Championship?

I guess the Games struggle for relevance in the wider scheme of things and are incredibly expensive to run (Durban couldn't afford this one so it's ended up in Birmingham) but there will be 72 countries there and 5,000 athletes with sports that aren't football getting exposure and coverage they can only dream of at other times. Good luck to them.

Wales currently 1-1 against Ghana in the 3rd Quarter. Not sure how we're doing in the tournament overall.

Wales gave England a bit of a fright beforelosing 4-2 and they beat Canada in their other game - India, who we'll almost certainly lose to, are the other team besides Ghana in their group. We’re 2-1 up on Ghana currently - make that 3-1.

Wales ran away with it in the end and it finished 6-1.

I've been watching bits and pieces. Not a lot though.
    Looks like Birmingham is going to be the last Commonwealth Games on this scale https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...e-martin-host/

The Commonwealth of Nations, simply referred to as the Commonwealth, is a political association of 56 member states, the vast majority of which are former territories of the British Empire.

look at you...you tory boris loving brexit lot are loving it

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I've been watching bits and pieces. Not a lot though.
    Looks like Birmingham is going to be the last Commonwealth Games on this scale https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...e-martin-host/
    That article is 12 months old. The 2026 games are being held in Victoria I think.
    The expense of hosting will be an ongoing issue, and I can see more regions (like Victoria) or even countries being future hosts, with events spread across a wider area.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the coverage, if a little bit fed up of it all being about England.

A bit samey though, with the Aussies, England and New Zealand coming out on top most of the time but bearable because Wales and the other home nations occasionally have a sniff of glory.

It can never be compared to the Olympics but it's fills a gap while waiting for the football season to really start taking shape.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    That article is 12 months old. The 2026 games are being held in Victoria I think.
    The expense of hosting will be an ongoing issue, and I can see more regions (like Victoria) or even countries being future hosts, with events spread across a wider area.
    You're right.
    The number of compulsory sports (that have to be included by the hosts) has been cut from 16 to 2 (athletics and swimming), but Victoria has said it will have at least 16 (20 in Birmingham I think), so it might not be very different.
    It's being hosted across 4 cities, which definitely seems to be the way forward.

First Team

Despite my earlier post I have really enjoyed the games.

The Squash competition get really feisty in a couple of games which was a surprise.

Callum O'Dowda's sister Jade just won bronze in the heptathlon.

Great support for all sports. Like Majorblue I am thoroughly enjoying the games.
    And congratulations to Jade O’Dowda for coming third in the Heptathlon.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Wales gave England a bit of a fright beforelosing 4-2 and they beat Canada in their other game - India, who we'll almost certainly lose to, are the other team besides Ghana in their group. We’re 2-1 up on Ghana currently - make that 3-1.
    Going up for the India game tomorrow, looking forward to it. The England game was a great bit of sport, plenty of Welsh support in the sell-out crowd and the players didn't let anyone down.

India have already won 11-0 and 8-0 this week, it could well be something similar tomorrow but it's their fourth game in five days so hopefully there'll be some tired legs. Probably wishful thinking though. My lad's 100th cap tomorrow - it'll be nice to be there for that, whatever the result.