+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Great British Holiday Getaway Nightmare

International

Re: The Great British Holiday Getaway Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Taxi drivers love the 20mph limits. They were barely doing 20 in the city before - now it's more like 15mph, as their meters go 'tick tick tick...'
    Not so. When moving the meter works on distance not time, it only works on time when the vehicle is stationary.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Ah it's like centreparks ...but it's Welsh?

That's noted

I made a pledge about ten years ago to only spend my money in Wales
    You only get one life, seems a bit of a waste to spend it all in one tiny country if you can afford to see other places. Just my opinion obviously

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    You only get one life, seems a bit of a waste to spend it all in one tiny country if you can afford to see other places. Just my opinion obviously
    Why do you hate Wales so much Delmbox?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yeah had a couple of pints and kids had a bite to eat im the beer garden yesterday afternoon, it was decent. Not as expensive as I thought. £5.30 a pint of Moretti.

We staying right by the central village in a 12 berth lodge.

I’m just off out for stroll down one of the trails, I can’t sit in the lodge talking politics at 9am.
    My current favourite pint; £4.95 in my local.

Absolutely spot on. The World is your oyster.

Watching the scenes from Dover today explains why I can't be arsed to travel abroad and would rather go on holiday in West Wales

Staffing levels disaster
    Motorway closed due to a lorry crash
    Everyone decides to piss off as soon as the schools break up .....you daft idiots
    Delays expected anyway due to covid and brexit checks

7 hour delays

Why do people put themselves through so much stress ?

Kids get your bucket and spade your uncle is taking you to Tenby for fish and chips

Sorted
    Go to Rhoose and fly somewhere nice.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Why do you hate Wales so much Delmbox?
    I know you're teasing but I like Wales. I don't like everything about Wales but I love the rolling hills everywhere, and the beaches in West Wales and the mountains in the North. I like the football team and the cheap cinemas and the way people let each other out on the roads. There's lots of nice people too and I love the fact we've got our own language and that healthcare is free. And all my stuff is here.

It's an absolute sheer fluke where you're born (something a lot of people seem to forget) and I consider myself very lucky to be born somewhere that can give me a good quality of life, better than a hell of a lot of countries.

Would I rather have been born somewhere with nice weather though? Yeah probably.

Would I rather have been born somewhere with nice weather though? Yeah probably.
    Give it another couple of years...

Watching the scenes from Dover today explains why I can't be arsed to travel abroad and would rather go on holiday in West Wales

Staffing levels disaster
    Motorway closed due to a lorry crash
    Everyone decides to piss off as soon as the schools break up .....you daft idiots
    Delays expected anyway due to covid and brexit checks

7 hour delays

Why do people put themselves through so much stress ?

Kids get your bucket and spade your uncle is taking you to Tenby for fish and chips

Sorted
    Weather can be crap, if you go away for a fortnight, which I usually do it can rain for ten of the fourteen days you are away. I hate the rain, we get enough of the damn stuff over spring, autumn and especially winter

Accommodation is extortionate in this country. Have you booked a hotel or a decent B&B in Tenby during July or August? For what you pay here you can get a decent holiday in one of the Med countries, or the Canaries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Weather can be crap, if you go away for a fortnight, which I usually do it can rain for ten of the fourteen days you are away. I hate the rain, we get enough of the damn stuff over spring, autumn and especially winter

Accommodation is extortionate in this country. Have you booked a hotel or a decent B&B in Tenby during July or August? For what you pay here you can get a decent holiday in one of the Med countries, or the Canaries
    Exactly, guaranteed weather abroad, which is the main ingredient of a summer holiday. Even though prices are rocketing, you can still get a decent bargain if you look hard enough, the UK, no chance. Hotels, entertainment, food, drinks etc are way over the top here. Many overseas resorts you can find a cold beer for €1 a pint on the stroll back from a day on the beach, good luck finding the equivalent in the UK.

I know you're teasing but I like Wales. I don't like everything about Wales but I love the rolling hills everywhere, and the beaches in West Wales and the mountains in the North. I like the football team and the cheap cinemas and the way people let each other out on the roads. There's lots of nice people too and I love the fact we've got our own language and that healthcare is free. And all my stuff is here.

It's an absolute sheer fluke where you're born (something a lot of people seem to forget) and I consider myself very lucky to be born somewhere that can give me a good quality of life, better than a hell of a lot of countries.

I was, as you say, only messing.

Agree entirely, I am a big fan of Wales. I wish our summers were more reliable but in the grand scheme of things I wouldn't change much else.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yeah had a couple of pints and kids had a bite to eat im the beer garden yesterday afternoon, it was decent. Not as expensive as I thought. £5.30 a pint of Moretti.

We staying right by the central village in a 12 berth lodge.

I’m just off out for stroll down one of the trails, I can’t sit in the lodge talking politics at 9am.
    Down camp Smokey way was ok if I recall…..had some decent times there with the kids when they were very young.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    My current favourite pint; £4.95 in my local.
    Same hear about £4.50/£5.00 around Cardiff….in fact I’m having one in a few

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Go to Rhoose and fly somewhere nice.
    Do they fly anywhere from Rhoose bar Dublin , Paris and Amsterdam?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Do they fly anywhere from Rhoose bar Dublin , Paris and Amsterdam?
    Wizz Air have been flying from Cardiff from the start of April. Hey are budget airline with some cheap flights to a lot of places in Europe. Went to Lanzarote and back last two weeks of May for £65. Lanzarote and back last week of Jan/first week of Feb for £25 return

Well things being as they are I would rather spend 2 hours driving to somewhere in west Wales I have never seen before than put myself in an early grave pissing about with connecting flights or getting stuck in 6 hour delays at Dover to travel through Europe

If you go to Tenerife it's basically west Wales with sun , in October.

A lot of us Taff's don't know the beauty of our own back yard

We are happy to join psueds corner in a wine bar in Amsterdam but have been to pen y fan

Or Bluestone

Well things being as they are I would rather spend 2 hours driving to somewhere in west Wales I have never seen before than put myself in an early grave pissing about with connecting flights or getting stuck in 6 hour delays at Dover to travel through Europe

If you go to Tenerife it's basically west Wales with sun , in October.
    Tenerife is basically one big **** off volcano.West Wales it isn't.

A lot of us Taff's don't know the beauty of our own back yard

We are happy to join psueds corner in a wine bar in Amsterdam but have been to pen y fan

Or Bluestone
    Do wine bars exist anymore? They were a thing in the early 90's if i recall, full of dodgy 40 somethings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Do wine bars exist anymore? They were a thing in the early 90's if i recall, full of dodgy 40 somethings.
    They are called gin bars now

Tenerife is basically one big **** off volcano.West Wales it isn't.
    It's barren , like Scotland or West Wales but with sun

Yeah, what the **** is that all about?

You hope they do more than just gin

You hope they do more than just gin
    Whatever it is, it's wank.

I think this is one where Gordon Brown is to blame.

When he was Chancellor of the Exchequer (as I remember) he removed the centuries old government taxes or duties on local/craft gin production - the ones brought in when Hogarth was doing his cartoons of Gin Alley and pissed mothers pouring booze down their toddlers' throats. The result was an explosion of local and small-scale gin production all over the country. From a handful of national brands (Gordons, London, Hendricks etc) there were hundreds within just a few years. Local tonics followed. Close behind that came the gin bars. Now the UK is the biggest gin exporter in the world (all pre Brexit!).