+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gerwyn Price

Gerwyn Price

Another 9-darter for Gerwyn Price this evening in the World Matchplay semis. That’s four 9-darters from the Welshman in major televised tournaments this year. Phenomenal stuff.

Re: Gerwyn Price

The way he’s taken his game to the next level is really impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    The way he’s taken his game to the next level is really impressive.
    This may sound daft, but I think the lockdowns helped Price. He was building a career as a pantomime villain, the man they love to hate, but playing without crowds seemed to rein him in a little.

He seems so much more focused on the game itself these days, and he’s all the better for it. Incredible player when he’s on top form. I wasn’t a fan a couple of years ago, but I’m a big fan now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Another 9-darter for Gerwyn Price this evening in the World Matchplay semis. That’s four 9-darters from the Welshman in major televised tournaments this year. Phenomenal stuff.
    The commentators mentioned Price had joined a group of three with your above stat. Were the other two Taylor and MVG?

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    The commentators mentioned Price had joined a group of three with your above stat. Were the other two Taylor and MVG?
    I think the stat was that he became the third player to have hit 9-darters in the World Championships, the World Matchplay and the Premier League. The other two were Taylor and Van Barneveld.

Hopefully he hasn't peaked too soon and can get the job done tomorrow. Don't think either of MVG or Van Den Bergh are looking anywhere near as good as he has thus far.

This may sound daft, but I think the lockdowns helped Price. He was building a career as a pantomime villain, the man they love to hate, but playing without crowds seemed to rein him in a little.

He seems so much more focused on the game itself these days, and he’s all the better for it. Incredible player when he’s on top form. I wasn’t a fan a couple of years ago, but I’m a big fan now.
    Yeah good points mate, gave him time to focus on the darts rather than playing up.

I think the stat was that he became the third player to have hit 9-darters in the World Championships, the World Matchplay and the Premier League. The other two were Taylor and Van Barneveld.
    Thanks.
    I think the crowd are warming to him too.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    I think the crowd are warming to him too.
    Undoubtedly.
    I particularly like the way he turns the negativity of the crowd into positive energy and produces sublime darts.

All crowds in any sport have their favourites but will recognise special players.
    In the world of darts, Gezzy is one such player.

There may well be at least one or two darts fans on here who would probably disagree though, noticeable by their silence thus far

I find tennis a bit shit.

Always loved him - he’s one of our own.
    #Valley’s boy 🏆

Is he CCFC ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    I find tennis a bit shit.
    Tennis , Golf , Bowls , Ice Hockey , Rugby League , Swimming , Cricket

Any of those on tv and I stick mute on

Earlier on in his career he had that spat with Gary Anderson on stage and that seemed to cement his position as a bit of a villain. No doubt he played up to it a bit,but yes more recently crowds have grown to appreciate his talent and he gets much more acknowledgement from the crowd because of it.

Always been a big fan of him and fair play he’s done amazing.Although he’s curbed his bad boy image he’s only a fraction away from confrontation when things go against him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Earlier on in his career he had that spat with Gary Anderson on stage and that seemed to cement his position as a bit of a villain. No doubt he played up to it a bit,but yes more recently crowds have grown to appreciate his talent and he gets much more acknowledgement from the crowd because of it.
    Not the first "villain" in the sport.
    Bristow, Evans, Jackpot all fiery characters to name but three.

Anderson is no saint either, one of a number of passive aggressives out there.

The media have done their bit to stoke the fire too but characters is what I love about darts and Gezzy is one of our own

Not at the races tonight.

MVG superb 👏 👏 👏

Bottled it big time, if he'd have played like he did against Noppart he would have beaten MVG.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Bottled it big time, if he'd have played like he did against Noppart he would have beaten MVG.
    Yeah no doubt about it. That's the worst I've seen him play for a long time.
    I suppose it's the effect that playing one of the world's greatest ever players in Michael van Gerwen has on you.

Even van Gerwen was not at his best missing 34 darts at the double but he finished the match like we have become accustomed to and his quality showed in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Disagree. He said he couldn't find his best form, which can happen to any sportsman at any time. It also has to be said that Price has had an indifferent year.

Apart from his doubles, MVG was superb and few would have lived with him. When Price went 12-10 up, you could easily have said Van Gerwen could have lead 14-8, maybe more. During Price's best session of the match, MVG matched him and Price couldn't shake him off.

Cracking final and played in great spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yeah no doubt about it. That's the worst I've seen him play for a long time.
    I suppose it's the effect that playing one of the world's greatest ever players in Michael van Gerwen has on you.

Even van Gerwen was not at his best missing 34 darts at the double but he finished the match like we have become accustomed to and his quality showed in the end.
    Missing 34 darts over 32 legs isn’t exactly first round or BDO standard