+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with £195 mil?

What would you do with £195 mil?

A British couple won this amount a few weeks ago, and as always it sparked the usual conversation about what you’d do in that situation.

Would you remain anonymous?
    Who would you give money to?
    What would be the first thing you did?

For me, I’d be ploughing a lot of that money into a local charity Recovery Cymru, that do a lot of amazing work. I’d then look more widely at other local charities and causes.

I’d quit work on the spot, a lot of people say they’d go in and say whatever they wanted to people. That sounds fantastic but I’d be straight on a private plane to Barbados.

When it comes to sorting other people out, I’d do that from a distance and probably do things like pay off mortgages first and then closer friends and family would get a lump sum.

It’s nice to dream sometimes, what would you do?

Re: What would you do with £195 mil?

If I won that kind of money I’d definitely plough money into the local area, especially the Gurnos estate where I grew up. Sadly the old community centre where I spent most of my school holidays as a child / early teen is now a nursery / daycare centre.

I’d pay to fund to some local football clubs, especially junior teams from the deprived areas.

I’d invest some money into Merthyr Town. I’m now a part owner of the club after buying a season ticket and ownership card this season.

Pay off Duckford, invest in a relief road around Newport and remove the tax off booze in Wales

My reaction to being a situation often surprises me. Both in a good way and bad.

I don’t always act in the same way I perceive myself.

Id like to think I’d be virtuous but until you put that money in my hand I couldn’t say I wouldn’t piss it up the wall on luxury goods

With that kind of money I would
    change a lot of peoples lives for the better. Friends, family and the odd colleague who has helped me along the way.

I always play the various lotteries but as time has gone on I have come to accept that I will never achieve the above.

One thing I would do is pay for the club to remove the awful red seats and the ayatollah figures in the Upper Ninian Stand and replace them with blue.

Family, friends, the odd colleague will be sorted first. We know of plenty of disabled people who are waiting far too long for equipment and housing adaptations, so they would also get sorted. Then there's people we know who gave been waiting for operations so they'll get their treatments paid for aswell.
    If theres anything left id buy Sludge a caravan at Trecco Bay and another at Kiln Park to keep him happy too.

It’s nice to dream and I’m sure we’ve all thought through the scenario but it wouldn’t be without pitfalls as all of your family and friends will no longer be in the same bracket as you in terms of wealth. Okay, you give them some money but how much each, do you then put a value on each friendship. What about “acquaintances “ , people you know and like but are not close friends yet they ask you for money to help them out . I gather previous winners receive sackfuls of begging letters too

But yes nice to dream

I honestly think I'd keep about £2 million, give away £20 million to family and friends and spend the rest trying to make a difference to the lives of the poorest in Wales. Not sure what the most effective thing is, funding apprenticeships and training, foodbanks, buy a load of land and build a few centres for the homeless. Would probably build a centre of some kind of dogs without a home. Nobody needs more than £1-£2 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    It’s nice to dream and I’m sure we’ve all thought through the scenario but it wouldn’t be without pitfalls as all of your family and friends will no longer be in the same bracket as you in terms of wealth. Okay, you give them some money but how much each, do you then put a value on each friendship. What about “acquaintances “ , people you know and like but are not close friends yet they ask you for money to help them out . I gather previous winners receive sackfuls of begging letters too

But yes nice to dream
    I’d want at least £20 million you tight git

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    I’d want at least £20 million you tight git

You’d need it too if you keep going to The Gatto Lounge!

Not enough money. Would need another 0 on the end to be able to make real change.

spend 3-5 million on myself.
    Nice paid off house in Wales, holiday home in Spain. Get the top of the range Tesla S.

2-3 Million for family and Friends.

I would then put 10 Million in an investment fund. And draw out a 200k salary for the rest of my life from the interest.

The other 150mill or so, will go towards good causes and random acts of kindness.

I think HMRC have got the ‘I’ll give a few million to friends & family’ situation covered. An honest financial advisor would be Forest on the list.......if such a person exists.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I honestly think I'd keep about £2 million, give away £20 million to family and friends and spend the rest trying to make a difference to the lives of the poorest in Wales. Not sure what the most effective thing is, funding apprenticeships and training, foodbanks, buy a load of land and build a few centres for the homeless. Would probably build a centre of some kind of dogs without a home. Nobody needs more than £1-£2 million.
    You'd be driving round in a Liz Truss campaign bus, thats the last Labour loving vote we'd get from you

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think HMRC have got the ‘I’ll give a few million to friends & family’ situation covered. An honest financial advisor would be Forest on the list.......if such a person exists.
    Forest on the list???? What’s all that about?

Buy a football and a rugby club. Pump some money into a children's hospital , sort out my family and then take off, doing all the things I ever wanted to do. Life is for living, and that’s what I’d do.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Forest on the list???? What’s all that about?
    There's no way I'd supplement Jesse Lingard's salary, no matter how much I won!

Get a big bit of land and build a “grand design” house. Maybe a couple of holiday let’s keep me a little busy. Give a couple of million to family.

Then spend a bit on travelling, maybe a couple of holiday homes.

I'd keep sending the begging letters.
    The week before we signed Bellemy I had 4 numbers and the thunderball.The number I was missing was 39.
    When he ran out with 39 on his back I thought "That's taking the piss".
    £250 quid was great but that missing number would have meant £250k winning at the time.

I am staying anonymous.

I've always imagined how wonderful it would be to have that kind of money and spend my evenings on Go Fund Me anonymously donating the full amount to people trying to raise money for cancer treatment etc, so out of the blue they just get a notification saying it's sorted

It'd be a hell of a hobby

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I've always imagined how wonderful it would be to have that kind of money and spend my evenings on Go Fund Me anonymously donating the full amount to people trying to raise money for cancer treatment etc, so out of the blue they just get a notification saying it's sorted

It'd be a hell of a hobby
    Would be fantastic wouldn’t it

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I'd keep sending the begging letters.
    The week before we signed Bellemy I had 4 numbers and the thunderball.The number I was missing was 39.
    When he ran out with 39 on his back I thought "That's taking the piss".
    £250 quid was great but that missing number would have meant £250k winning at the time.
    I was fuming when I had all 6 numbers spread over 2 lines. The closest I'll ever come I'm sure.

First, i'd have a big piss-up to celebrate.
    Then a nice holiday.
    Probably just blow the rest.