+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Murphy gone to Oxford?

Re: Murphy gone to Oxford?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Under Warnock, murphy would end up incredibly isolated when one of his runs hit a dead end, he was offered no support from his team mates. The ball was knocked in to him and nobody would follow the pass and offer support. He also struggled with the defensive side of the game as Warnock wanted him in the fullback position if we were out of possession. Hoilett adjusted better to it, he had better feet and better vision, his game wasn't all about carrying the ball, Murphy's was. NML was just a souped up Ford Orion with no brakes, indicators, hazard lights etc and was probably run on bent jet fuel.
    Yeah, agree with that. Love this bit
    NML was just a souped up Ford Orion with no brakes, indicators, hazard lights etc and was probably run on bent jet fuel.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Oxford obviously think he is worth a punt....
    Well at least I got that!

Glad he's an academic as I think his days of big time football are over.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I thought he'd gone to Derby?
    Only got a 2.1 so Oxford it is .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Only got a 2.1 so Oxford it is .
    To some degree you're right

Maybe he’s just stopped enjoying playing.

It’s not the same player we bought from Norwich though but this can happen easily

I thought Murphy was just unhappy with us and would start playing like he used to once he left us, but, if anything, he was worse at Preston than he was in his last season at City - he's twenty seven now and should be at his peak, instead he's hoping he can prove himself at a League One club.

tHE GUY WAS AWFUL! why anyone rated him is beyond me . found his level;

Quote Originally Posted by Dave St View Post
    tHE GUY WAS AWFUL! why anyone rated him is beyond me . found his level;
    I wouldn't say he was awful, he showed flashes of talent and ability for sure.
    Think he probably has found his level though, not sure he fancied the championship much and may well be more comfortable in a league where he'll probably get more space and time on the ball.

Trouble is for Oxford is that initially Murphy would be an impressive signing for most teams, with his pace and lovely left foot but unfortunately most of the problem appears to be his attitude and what goes on in his head, which are things that only come to light further down the line when it is too late. If Oxford are expecting him to cover and tackle back when they are under pressure then they will be sorely disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I don't know, of course, but that's not how I've ever imagined him to be. Warnock was a master at buying the wrong players for his teams at hugely inflated prices and on big wages then being an unforgiving bast*rd when it didn't pay off. I think he destroyed him tbh. He was unlucky not to escape like Decordova-Reid managed to (for a tidy sum). Wrong club, wrong manager, wrong set up. What could possibly go wrong?
    On the other hand Warnock was also a master at picking up excellent players for nothing, turning them into club favourites and saving clubs a fortune in transfer fees, like Bamba, Hoilett, Etheridge and Nelson. We also sold Zohore for a large profit and got most of the money back for Decordova-Reid, so not all bad eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    On the other hand Warnock was also a master at picking up excellent players for nothing, turning them into club favourites and saving clubs a fortune in transfer fees, like Bamba, Hoilett, Etheridge and Nelson. We also sold Zohore for a large profit and got most of the money back for Decordova-Reid, so not all bad eh ?
    Eric (I think) posted a where are they now? thread of Warnock's signings and it wasn't pretty. I fully agree that the examples you've cited are good ones. In penance though, I shall do the hoovering and cleaning whilst muttering several 'Hail Colin's'.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Whatever's going on with him, I hope he sorts it out and wish him well. Players don't just plummet like this for no reason. Him and his twin brother were both flying high at one point. I hate seeing players end up like this.
    He had the ability but maybe not the mental strength to fight back when the going got tougher and his confidence dropped, so much of becoming a good footballer is in the head and being strong enough to bounce back when it gets tough.

Oxford have also signed Yanic Wildschut. Along with Ciaron Brown that makes a cluster of Cardiff flops. Good luck to all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Oxford have also signed Yanic Wildschut. Along with Ciaron Brown that makes a cluster of Cardiff flops. Good luck to all of them.
    A Cluster Of Cardiff Flops! Love that!