+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streakers

Streakers

Another casualty of modern football

Not sure why it’s gone out of fashion but nothing funnier during a bad game.

Re: Streakers

The adrenalin rush as they leapt the wall must have lasted about 2 seconds then the realisation that they'd made a right tw@t of themselves kicked in

Anybody remember the streaker who shimmied up the goalpost and was hanging (ahem) from the crossbar?

I’m starting to think I dreamt this but think it may have been in that promotion celebration game when the crowd was stood all along the touch line whilst the game carried on (Chesterfield?). Probably got that all wrong.

haven't the odd game this woman's euro's had climate protesters try and zip tie themselves to the goal posts, one of the 1/4's did for sure

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    She made a bit of money modelling double-breasted jackets. No-one remembers her less-voluptuous friend who streaked with her.

I remember that the Police decided to wade in versus Roe.

that weird England fan covering her up with a flag

Courtesy of Fry and Laurie

Erica Erica Roe, row, row your boat
    Gently down the stream
    Belt off, trousers down
    Isn't life a scream, hey 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that weird England fan covering her up with a flag
    Ken Baily, athlete and sports enthusiast: born Somerset 1911; died Bournemouth 10 December 1993.

'WHAT are you doing here?' asked the Queen on spotting Ken Baily among a crowd in a Sydney street. 'I'd go anywhere for you, Ma'am,' replied Baily.

Baily, England's self-appointed sporting cheerleader, did go almost anywhere for sport and at home in Bournemouth he was always present at a royal visit. When Prince Charles attended his first trade union conference Baily was at the door presenting him with a carnation buttonhole.

Ken Baily died of cancer in a nursing home at Bournemouth, where he had long been the town's most famous resident. He was a familiar figure on his bicycle returning the greetings of members of the public with a salute. His place in the community was established early in the Fifties when, as 'Genevieve' in the Bournemouth Times, his Tatler-style column featured not only social occasions but national sporting events.

He was already in The Guinness Book of Records for running the most recorded miles and famous as the man who had run all the way to America by going round and round on a ship's deck. He also carried the Olympic torch when the games were held at Wembley in 1948.

For the next 30 years he continued to be a torch-bearer - taking a flame along the Bournemouth promenade to start the annual regatta fireworks. As the years passed there was concern that he might not be able to keep up with the younger runners. But he did and his fitness was partly maintained by regular sea-bathing which included a dip on Christmas Day and at midnight on New Year's Eve with the Bournemouth Spartans.

Another annual custom for Baily was an appeal for nearly new sports equipment for young teenagers wanting to take up a sport. In a career which as well as journalism had embraced work as clerical assistant in the telephone exchange, he had faced financial uncertainty; and he had to overcome a speech difficulty whilst a public figure.

An inheritance later allowed Baily to spend the last quarter-century travelling to all the main international sporting occasions. It was Baily who came to the rescue at Twickenham in 1982 by covering the streaker Erica Roe with his Union Jack. More recently he was at the Barcelona Olympics in his familiar top hat, red tail-coat and Union Jack waistcoat just as he had been at the 1966 World Cup when he became known as World Cup Willie.

He often wore this John Bull outfit on the plane and train all the way back to Bournemouth. The town's summer illuminations are still candlelit by the public and on August Wednesday nights right up to this year holiday-makers would be amazed to find themselves collecting their taper from England's cheerleader in full costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Ken Baily, athlete and sports enthusiast: born Somerset 1911; died Bournemouth 10 December 1993.

'WHAT are you doing here?' asked the Queen on spotting Ken Baily among a crowd in a Sydney street. 'I'd go anywhere for you, Ma'am,' replied Baily.

Baily, England's self-appointed sporting cheerleader, did go almost anywhere for sport and at home in Bournemouth he was always present at a royal visit. When Prince Charles attended his first trade union conference Baily was at the door presenting him with a carnation buttonhole.

Ken Baily died of cancer in a nursing home at Bournemouth, where he had long been the town's most famous resident. He was a familiar figure on his bicycle returning the greetings of members of the public with a salute. His place in the community was established early in the Fifties when, as 'Genevieve' in the Bournemouth Times, his Tatler-style column featured not only social occasions but national sporting events.

He was already in The Guinness Book of Records for running the most recorded miles and famous as the man who had run all the way to America by going round and round on a ship's deck. He also carried the Olympic torch when the games were held at Wembley in 1948.

For the next 30 years he continued to be a torch-bearer - taking a flame along the Bournemouth promenade to start the annual regatta fireworks. As the years passed there was concern that he might not be able to keep up with the younger runners. But he did and his fitness was partly maintained by regular sea-bathing which included a dip on Christmas Day and at midnight on New Year's Eve with the Bournemouth Spartans.

Another annual custom for Baily was an appeal for nearly new sports equipment for young teenagers wanting to take up a sport. In a career which as well as journalism had embraced work as clerical assistant in the telephone exchange, he had faced financial uncertainty; and he had to overcome a speech difficulty whilst a public figure.

An inheritance later allowed Baily to spend the last quarter-century travelling to all the main international sporting occasions. It was Baily who came to the rescue at Twickenham in 1982 by covering the streaker Erica Roe with his Union Jack. More recently he was at the Barcelona Olympics in his familiar top hat, red tail-coat and Union Jack waistcoat just as he had been at the 1966 World Cup when he became known as World Cup Willie.

He often wore this John Bull outfit on the plane and train all the way back to Bournemouth. The town's summer illuminations are still candlelit by the public and on August Wednesday nights right up to this year holiday-makers would be amazed to find themselves collecting their taper from England's cheerleader in full costume.
    He was also the half time entertainment at various Wales v England games in Cardiff in the 60s and 70s.

Remember him well.
    Always used to look out for him at the England sporting events on TV.
    Reminded me of the little bald guy off the Benny Hill show.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Wasn't he caught up in some scandal due to his alleged fondness for young boys?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Remember him well.
    Always used to look out for him at the England sporting events on TV.
    Reminded me of the little bald guy off the Benny Hill show.
    Always a whiff of dodgy behaviour concerning young boys with him. Just read a bit about him, many on the south coast had him down a freeloader, turning up at Southampton matches against the likes of Man U or Liverpool in full regalia expecting to be let in free. I had him down as a bit iffy.

Wasn't it the case that in his days the Union Jack rather than St George's cross was more associated with English sporting events?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Anybody remember the streaker who shimmied up the goalpost and was hanging (ahem) from the crossbar?

I’m starting to think I dreamt this but think it may have been in that promotion celebration game when the crowd was stood all along the touch line whilst the game carried on (Chesterfield?). Probably got that all wrong.
    I posted something previously about this to be met with a radio silence. It's not the kind of thing easily forgotten - does nobody else remember this happening? Thinking it might have been 2000/01 season.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Wasn't he caught up in some scandal due to his alleged fondness for young boys?
    I remember those stories as well although I don't think he was ever charged

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Courtesy of Fry and Laurie

Erica Erica Roe, row, row your boat
    Gently down the stream
    Belt off, trousers down
    Isn't life a scream, hey ��
    After that event she ended up living in Penarth. What made me laugh was the Policeman who put his helmet over her protrusions but they were so large the helmet didn't fit.

I posted something previously about this to be met with a radio silence. It's not the kind of thing easily forgotten - does nobody else remember this happening? Thinking it might have been 2000/01 season.
    Shrewsbury..last game of the season

When we were 2.1 up in THE Leeds game, a streaker jumped over the fence in the bob bank and ran up to their goaiie..did a little dance then sprinted back over the same bit of fence

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    After that event she ended up living in Penarth. What made me laugh was the Policeman who put his helmet over her protrusions but they were so large the helmet didn't fit.
    They were saggy

Like a pair of udders

Something one would associate with an older lady

This definitely happened- it's one of my earliest memories of going down the City. Can't honestly say I have any idea who we were playing but believe there was a pitch invasion afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    They were saggy

Like a pair of udders

Something one would associate with an older lady
    Here she is as an older lady. Admit it Sludge, you would… https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/1909...getting-naked/

Quote Originally Posted by Colin'sReversibleHat View Post
    This definitely happened- it's one of my earliest memories of going down the City. Can't honestly say I have any idea who we were playing but believe there was a pitch invasion afterwards.
    Thank gawd for that. All sorts went on at NP but this stood out in my memory.

If I remember he appeared from the Lower Grandstand completely starkers before parading across the pitch and then shimmying-up the goalpost. He seemed to be hanging from the crossbar for ages, then performed the traditional side-steps around the flailing and tumbling stewards back to a hero's welcome on the terrace and morphed straight back into the crowd again.