+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Seven decades of Cardiff City v Norwich City matches.

Seven decades of Cardiff City v Norwich City matches.

Re: Seven decades of Cardiff City v Norwich City matches.

Good to get the brain-cells creaking along again.

60's Terry Allcock

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    Good to get the brain-cells creaking along again.

60's Terry Allcock
    Correct.

20s - Daniel Sinani

Butch White - now that's a blast from the past.
    I saw him several times playing for Hampshire. He was terrific - like a steam train racking itself to peices as he stormed in. And boy, was he quick! The perfect foil for Derek Shackleton, a medium pacer who bowled a nagging length.
    Hampshire had some great West indian players: Andy Roberts, Malcolm Marshall and Gordon Greenidge.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    20s - Daniel Sinani
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Butch White - now that's a blast from the past.
    I saw him several times playing for Hampshire. He was terrific - like a steam train racking itself to peices as he stormed in. And boy, was he quick! The perfect foil for Derek Shackleton, a medium pacer who bowled a nagging length.
    Hampshire had some great West indian players: Andy Roberts, Malcolm Marshall and Gordon Greenidge.
    Barry Richards as well, one of my favourite batsmen. I thought Butch White had won an England cap, but I looked him up this morning and was mistaken. I can remember a discussion on television from more than fifty years ago now where they were talking about genuinely quick English bowlers of that time - Snow and Willis were mentioned, as was Alan Ward, but then, right at the end, someone said and Butch White of course. He was well past his sell by date as far as pace went when he came to Glamorgan mind.

80s Shaun Elliott

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    80s Shaun Elliott
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Barry Richards as well, one of my favourite batsmen. I thought Butch White had won an England cap, but I looked him up this morning and was mistaken. I can remember a discussion on television from more than fifty years ago now where they were talking about genuinely quick English bowlers of that time - Snow and Willis were mentioned, as was Alan Ward, but then, right at the end, someone said and Butch White of course. He was well past his sell by date as far as pace went when he came to Glamorgan mind.
    Have another look - Butch White has two England caps. Glamorgan would never have seen him at his best or fastest - and he was crock too at 43 secs.
    I used to love those Wisden Cricket Annuals - especially when RF followed the name -'Butch' White RF Not many of those around then.
    You're right - Barry Richards. The thing was whether Hants were opening the batting or bowling, there were two world class exciting batmen or bowlers on show.
    I actually played against Snow. I was captain of our 1st X1 and we played Chichester Grammar on their patch. He was quick in those days! That game was the only one we lost all season. I declared a little too early.
    And you may recall Bryan Richards the Wales fly half. He also played for Glamorgan Seconds. I bowled him in the School vs Staff match. We had a pitch which was coconut matting on concrete slabs. The slabs at one end on a length were not exactly level and I always bowled towards that end and knew exactly where to pitch the ball so that it flew. Richards played some nets, but never on the pitch. I found the sweet spot with my fourth ball to him. It flew!!!!

Have another look - Butch White has two England caps. Glamorgan would never have seen him at his best or fastest - and he was crock too at 43 secs.
    I used to love those Wisden Cricket Annuals - especially when RF followed the name -'Butch' White RF Not many of those around then.
    You're right - Barry Richards. The thing was whether Hants were opening the batting or bowling, there were two world class exciting batmen or bowlers on show.
    I actually played against Snow. I was captain of our 1st X1 and we played Chichester Grammar on their patch. He was quick in those days! That game was the only one we lost all season. I declared a little too early.
    And you may recall Bryan Richards the Wales fly half. He also played for Glamorgan Seconds. I bowled him in the School vs Staff match. We had a pitch which was coconut matting on concrete slabs. The slabs at one end on a length were not exactly level and I always bowled towards that end and knew exactly where to pitch the ball so that it flew. Richards played some nets, but never on the pitch. I found the sweet spot with my fourth ball to him. It flew!!!!
    I’ve had a nightmare there, I looked at his Wikipedia entry and convinced myself there was nothing there about him playing for England, I look again and his test career is everywhere

Snow was a favourite of mine after his exploits in Australia in 70/71, but I can remember seeing him play for Sussex at Sophia Gardens and he didn’t want to know - I suppose the domestic programme has never been sympathetic to genuine quickies.

I had to look Bryan Richards up, he was a bit before my time (born in 56), but I see ESPN have him
    down as playing for Oxford and Cambridge, is that right? It sounds like you played a standard I could only dream of and you made the most of the local knowledge you had!

I’ve had a nightmare there, I looked at his Wikipedia entry and convinced myself there was nothing there about him playing for England, I look again and his test career is everywhere

Snow was a favourite of mine after his exploits in Australia in 70/71, but I can remember seeing him play for Sussex at Sophia Gardens and he didn’t want to know - I suppose the domestic programme has never been sympathetic to genuine quickies.

I had to look Bryan Richards up, he was a bit before my time (born in 56), but I see ESPN have him
    down as playing for Oxford and Cambridge, is that right? It sounds like you played a standard I could only dream of and you made the most of the local knowledge you had!
    That's the man. Played for Wales once, but that jink!!!!! When I knew him, he played for London Welsh. He was an amazing player and cut thru teams like a knife thru butter. But I was always at centre and never played against him. I always thought the way to nullify his jink was to ignore it and just go straight thru at speed. He used to say, if youre fit you won't get injured. Two of the School front row broke his nose. The really strange thing was when he played football, he did the same jink, off either foot, but with the ball at his feet not in his hands. Never seen that before or since. But again, I always had in mind that I'd tackle him by going straight thru him.

70s is Colin Suggett

00s is Michael (Mickey) Spillane

Henry Blofeld played for Norfolk in that Gillette Cup tie by the way. Bill Edrich too.

That's the man. Played for Wales once, but that jink!!!!! When I knew him, he played for London Welsh. He was an amazing player and cut thru teams like a knife thru butter. But I was always at centre and never played against him. I always thought the way to nullify his jink was to ignore it and just go straight thru at speed. He used to say, if youre fit you won't get injured. Two of the School front row broke his nose. The really strange thing was when he played football, he did the same jink, off either foot, but with the ball at his feet not in his hands. Never seen that before or since. But again, I always had in mind that I'd tackle him by going straight thru him.
    He sounds like the sort of player who is all but lost to rugby these days - I'm not sure how players like him would fare these days, but I'm pretty sure there'd be plenty who'd test out your theory if he was,

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    70s is Colin Suggett

00s is Michael (Mickey) Spillane

Henry Blofeld played for Norfolk in that Gillette Cup tie by the way. Bill Edrich too.
    Both correct, but, thinking about it again, the 90s question is very hard and should have had a bit more info to it - the player in question is a goalkeeper who barely played for Norwich (he started off with them as a youngster).

Blofeld played for Norfolk for years I believe and I may be wrong, but I think there were a few of them Edrich clan who played for them. Bloers was a wicketkeeper as well wasn't he, I wouldn't be surprised if it was him who was behind the stumps in the game against Hampshire.

Both correct, but, thinking about it again, the 90s question is very hard and should have had a bit more info to it - the player in question is a goalkeeper who barely played for Norwich (he started off with them as a youngster).
    Jon Sheffield.

Harry Toffolo for the 10s

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Jon Sheffield.

Harry Toffolo for the 10s
    Blimey that was quick .

Both correct.

Blofeld played for Norfolk for years I believe and I may be wrong, but I think there were a few of them Edrich clan who played for them. Bloers was a wicketkeeper as well wasn't he, I wouldn't be surprised if it was him who was behind the stumps in the game against Hampshire.
    Scorecard for the game here, it says Allcock was the keeper that day. Blofeld's only List A game apparently.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...full-scorecard