+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DNA testing - results

Re: DNA testing - results

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Wow, a bit further back than I would have expected to be honest.
    Is this dependent on how many family members further afield have actually had DNA profiles done at some point?
    It is obviously down to who has sent in samples. I know for example that my uncles grandson has sent a sample because I recognised his name from the matches. Also, knowing the calibre of my true grt grandfather's family (council house workers and tenants) I was very doubtful that any one would have bothered sending their DNA. How wrong I was!

It's down to the pool of samples Ancestry have - which is getting bigger all the time. And when new samples match, they ping you - so it's on-going. Check out what I said earlier about using the Ancestry sample on other databases.

I should add some more provisos here.

If you are thinking of taking the test, think long and hard about the implications of making your DNA available to others. You may want to research the implications.

Also, if you've seen the ITV series 'DNA Family Secrets', you'll know the power of DNA matching. But you'll also know they work very closely with genealogists to process the results. I don't want to give a false impression that this process is easy. It'll take several days if not weeks to process what I've received. Some genealogists offer a paid service to explain the matches.

I watch Long lost family.It's very sad.One guy found his real father at the age of 88.
    I'm an only child.Parents long gone.I don't some bugger knocking at the door and saying they want half of what's left.I've long spent it anyway.
    Joking aside I'm thinking of doing a DNA test..I find it sad when people don't know their ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I watch Long lost family.It's very sad.One guy found his real father at the age of 88.
    I'm an only child.Parents long gone.I don't some bugger knocking at the door and saying they want half of what's left.I've long spent it anyway.
    Joking aside I'm thinking of doing a DNA test..I find it sad when people don't know their ancestry.
    I strongly suggest you research your FH first. How will you know who your matches are without a family tree?

As a result of my DNA test submitted to ancestry.co.uk I am now in contact with a distant relative, an amoeba living in Popocatépetl.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As a result of my DNA test submitted to ancestry.co.uk I am now in contact with a distant relative, an amoeba living in Popocatépetl.
    One-celled low life.
    (not the amoeba )

PS By colouring the ancestry link, you really fooled me into thinking you had taken a fast-track test. And then I thought, why didn't he use the correct http link. And then I thought, 'Nah'.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I strongly suggest you research your FH first. How will you know who your matches are without a family tree?
    I have done some research via ancestry.com.I have always known I'm related to a famous 1950s cricketer.
    My cousins cousin found out he was adopted when his mother died.He was in his 60s.He was so shocked he moved to Spain, literally never to be heard of again.

I’m interested in this.
    My father died in 2013 and at his funeral I was inadvertently told I had a half brother, after an affair he had in the 70’s. He’s apparently living in Australia now. I’ve asked my cousin to ask my Aunt, his sister, but she wouldn’t press her for any information.

It’s something that just occasionally bugs me, my wife contacted people who were at his funeral, but they don’t seem to know anything else.

Curiosity is getting the better of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    I’m interested in this.
    My father died in 2013 and at his funeral I was inadvertently told I had a half brother, after an affair he had in the 70’s. He’s apparently living in Australia now. I’ve asked my cousin to ask my Aunt, his sister, but she wouldn’t press her for any information.

It’s something that just occasionally bugs me, my wife contacted people who were at his funeral, but they don’t seem to know anything else.

That would bug me to/perhaps if you approached your Aunt.It is your right to know,and your brother's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I find it sad when people don't know their ancestry.
    Why do you think that? What's sad about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    I’m interested in this.
    Unless your half brother (if it is so) or any children he has take a DNA test, there is no way a match is going to be made with your DNA.
    I hear stories like this all the time from clients about their families and the upset and heartache that's caused by either not confiding or by confiding is cruel and thoughtless. It leaves a mark and creates a rift in the family.

Incidentally, I've just heard that my match from the opening post had a long conversation with his newly-found first cousin and is visiting her in September. She had nothing but good to say about her (and his) grandfather when we spoke. It's like an episode from 'DNA Family Secrets' with a happy ending.

I bought the Ancestry kit for my wife & myself at Christmas. My was fine and as expected. Hers was a total shock & proved that her father was not her biological father. It took me 4 months to pluck up the courage to tell her. She doesn’t want to know and says it’s wrong. She has 4 half siblings & 550 close relationship but is not interested. It has caused lots of tension!

The morale be careful & be prepared

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Why do you think that? What's sad about it?
    I don't think anyone can be critical of how others feel about their ancestry.
    It is personal to us all.
    When I spoke to both parties I've mentioned in this thread, I asked both if they were happy with continuing the journey of discovery. If I had any negative vibes, I would have stopped there and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I bought the Ancestry kit for my wife & myself at Christmas. My was fine and as expected. Hers was a total shock & proved that her father was not her biological father. It took me 4 months to pluck up the courage to tell her. She doesn’t want to know and says it’s wrong. She has 4 half siblings & 550 close relationship but is not interested. It has caused lots of tension!

That's good advice. You weren't to know the results. But I'm going to remember your experience when dealing with clients.
    Did you feel you had to tell her?

Did you feel you had to tell her?
    Yes, it was a huge burden, she received the initial response but didn’t understand it, it took me a few days to realise and fortunately it was via my managed tree & email so I was able to control the mass of incoming contacts.

My wife was estranged from her fathers family in Belfast, I worked for a couple of years and finally got a breakthrough, opened up her family and reconnected it. She now has an ongoing relationship with them. As you know many records were lost in Ireland so I thought a DNA test would open up more connections. Big mistake. Zero Irish blood, 50% Welsh blood.

All of the family in Ireland are not related.

It took 4 months to make the decision and tell her. because I was incapable of keeping it secret, because she might want to know, because she had brothers & sisters she doesn’t know, because she’s Welsh, because our kids have a right to know.

Her response was, I’ve heard, he’s not my father, never mention it again.

Yes, it was a huge burden, she received the initial response but didn’t understand it, it took me a few days to realise and fortunately it was via my managed tree & email so I was able to control the mass of incoming contacts.

My wife was estranged from her fathers family in Belfast, I worked for a couple of years and finally got a breakthrough, opened up her family and reconnected it. She now has an ongoing relationship with them. As you know many records were lost in Ireland so I thought a DNA test would open up more connections. Big mistake. Zero Irish blood, 50% Welsh blood.

All of the family in Ireland are not related.

It took 4 months to make the decision and tell her. because I was incapable of keeping it secret, because she might want to know, because she had brothers & sisters she doesn’t know, because she’s Welsh, because our kids have a right to know.

Her response was, I’ve heard, he’s not my father, never mention it again.
    Thanks for sharing what is very personal information.
    On reflection my enquiry was intrusive - and I apologise.
    I fully understand your dilemma.
    What an unfortunate result from what was an innocent action in ordering the tests!
    It's hard to imagine the stress the result has created and I meant no implied criticism of your action in telling your wife.
    It must have been a terrible shock for her.
    Perhaps sometime later, when she has absorbed what has been discovered, her reaction may soften.
    I do hope so.
    Your experience is valuable to me because I have to pass on all manner of sometimes terrible events I discover when investigating other people's ancestry. These have included rape, suicide even killings. Often I have to ask whether they really want to know - and even when my report is finished, I've asked the person's partner whether they can cope with harrowing events in their ancestor's lives. Just recently I looked into the family of one of my close relatives and opened a can of worms. Fortunately, I was in contact with a responsible daughter and we decided on an appropriate course of action. Once information is out there, it can't be redacted.
    So I'm grateful to you for you describing what is for me a salutary experience.

I find them really interesting.
    I did mine with ancestry, it showed the expected links to Wales (37%) and England (46%) but also DNA links with Scotland, Ireland, Norway, and Sweden/Denmark. When looking at my family tree it is all South Wales, Gloucestershire, Devon, so surprised to see the other areas come in, though I suppose it only takes one ancestor who has moved into an area.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    I find them really interesting.
    I did mine with ancestry, it showed the expected links to Wales (37%) and England (46%) but also DNA links with Scotland, Ireland, Norway, and Sweden/Denmark. When looking at my family tree it is all South Wales, Gloucestershire, Devon, so surprised to see the other areas come in, though I suppose it only takes one ancestor who has moved into an area.
    Apparently, I'm a mongrel consisiting of a mixture of DNA from Wales (just 3%!), England, Scotland, Spain, Sweden/Denmark, NE France/W Belgium and The Baltics.
    I don't think they will let me compete at Cruft's!

Apparently, I'm a mongrel consisiting of a mixture of DNA from Wales (just 3%!), England, Scotland, Spain, Sweden/Denmark, NE France/W Belgium and The Baltics.
    https://www.crufts.org.uk/whats-on/scruffts

This explains all those places you've name-dropped this year.......

Let us know the results!
    I've recently finished a course on researching Welsh ancestors which was absorbing and instructive.
    To my chagrin, the DNA test revealed that I am only 1% Welsh.
    This is why I don't and won't do it. I know half my family is English. And the Welsh half are from "out west".

This explains all those places you've name-dropped this year.......
    I'm keeping schtum about my movements in the coming months....

I'm keeping schtum about my movements in the coming months....
    And I thought Tan was employing you as his Chief Scout to roam the continent of Europe.
    I was convinced you were responsible for all those transfers. They had your mark.....

Thanks for sharing what is very personal information.
    On reflection my enquiry was intrusive - and I apologise.
    I fully understand your dilemma.
    What an unfortunate result from what was an innocent action in ordering the tests!
    It's hard to imagine the stress the result has created and I meant no implied criticism of your action in telling your wife.
    It must have been a terrible shock for her.
    Perhaps sometime later, when she has absorbed what has been discovered, her reaction may soften.
    I do hope so.
    Your experience is valuable to me because I have to pass on all manner of sometimes terrible events I discover when investigating other people's ancestry. These have included rape, suicide even killings. Often I have to ask whether they really want to know - and even when my report is finished, I've asked the person's partner whether they can cope with harrowing events in their ancestor's lives. Just recently I looked into the family of one of my close relatives and opened a can of worms. Fortunately, I was in contact with a responsible daughter and we decided on an appropriate course of action. Once information is out there, it can't be redacted.
    So I'm grateful to you for you describing what is for me a salutary experience.
    It was actually therapeutic to respond, so it’s not an issue, sort of unburdening myself anonymously.

I’ve got around 3,700 in my tree plus two offshoot trees. The WW1 stories are interesting but normally turn out sad. Finding the many rogues & gaolbirds is always amusing.

Americans pee me off, they grab at any hint, stick it in their tree, no research and it then becomes factual family history.

How amazing is the timing of this thread for me!

My wife has just had her DNA profile back this week. Her biological mother was unmarried and had several (seven so far, we have discovered) children. Hence she has a number of half brothers and sisters, all of whom are now known to her and vice-versa. We don't know if there was a common father. Her DNA has a 100% probability match with a lady who was born the same year as her and in the same town. The issue is that we have discovered that this lady's father was married at the time to someone else! Therein lies one of the dangers of DNA testing - the moral of the story is.... be very wise what you do with the information. Imagine the scenario if my wife were to share this information with the lady....... "your father is my father too" !