+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player boycott in Australia

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Player boycott in Australia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-62301091

Nothing against the L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.2.S+ community at all, but all this 'pride' stuff is O.T.T.I.M.H.O

Re: Player boycott in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post

Nothing against the L.G.B.T.Q.I.A.2.S+ community at all, but all this 'pride' stuff is O.T.T.I.M.H.O
    Did you work at Bletchley Park?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

If 7 players won't play because of their issues against that community, it probably isn't OTT.

Incredibly daft boycotting a game over a rainbow stripe on the jersey though isn't it, that's far more over the top than the jersey itself.

Debate on message boards usually and predictably end up being polarised with those 'for' arguing against those 'against' - but sometimes I appreciate both sides of the fence. On the one hand, is it that big a problem to simply wear the colours on the shirt for one match and indicate inclusivity for all..... but, on the other hand, should players simply have to go along with any campaign thrust upon them, whether it be BLM (which arguably mixed a message with an official entity), LGBT, wearing poppies woven into their shirts etc?
    For my part, I don't like to see the military marching in and around grounds at events. The military of any country are there to do the bidding of the politicians and may become involved in illegal invasions and other nefarious activities if commanded to do so. Not a popular view perhaps, I grant you.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin'sReversibleHat View Post
    Incredibly daft boycotting a game over a rainbow stripe on the jersey though isn't it, that's far more over the top than the jersey itself.
    Not if their religion or sexuality makes them feel uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If 7 players won't play because of their issues against that community, it probably isn't OTT.
    I think you agree with my sentiment then.

Manly players at fault then?

As far as I'm concerned there are never enough opportunities to demonstrate that discrimination is unacceptable.

What else do you suggest then?

Its a token gesture that probably will help and miles better than what we do in other sectors like positive discrimination

Couple of colours on a shirt hurts nobody and can only help.

These people who use the religious clause I wish would be more up front

Basically they don't like puffs because their priest or vicar or leader said God didn't like them either

I don't think there is anything more to it than that

A bloke I know is always going on about this pride stuff and how it gets on his nerves

The worst thing , for him , is the annual gay pride march in Cardiff

I told him to avoid Cardiff on that day

I think it's about being told what to do rather than choose yourself. If I came in to work tomorrow and the company made us wear a Hi-Viz with a rainbow on, I wouldn't be happy but if they made it optional, I would wear one, probably just me being pedantic.

F*ck their religion and why would their sexuality make them feel uncomfortable? If you're comfortable with your sexuality why would wearing a f*cking rainbow freak anyone out? If you're comfortable in your forgiving gods, why would any of this stuff be challenging? If you're confident in your gods and where you prefer to shove your d*cks, why is any of this an issue? People kill themselves or get killed because of these prejudices. How anyone has a problem supporting basic human rights is beyond me.

I think you agree with my sentiment then.
    No, I think they're a bunch of *****.

In the bible it says eating shrimp is an "abomination". Not my words, the bible. I wonder how uncomfortable they feel about that.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I doubt it, but ironically enough, Alan Turing did.

Turing was prosecuted in 1952 for homosexual acts. He accepted hormone treatment with DES, a procedure commonly referred to as chemical castration, as an alternative to prison. Turing died on 7 June 1954, 16 days before his 42nd birthday, from cyanide poisoning.

Edit: I know you were only making a joke about the letters and code Mr P! I just thought I couldn't miss out on making a timely connection.

In the bible it says eating shrimp is an "abomination". Not my words, the bible. I wonder how uncomfortable they feel about that.
    Well we do respect Muslims and Jews who do not eat pork due to what is written in their holy books.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Well we do respect Muslims and Jews who do not eat pork due to what is written in their holy books.
    Eat what you want, I don't care . That's the point though, I bet some of the players boycotting have eaten shrimp, have had sex outside of marriage, been divorced, have tattoos etc.

Think the club management are a bit daft. This isn't exactly unexpected considering several high profile cases that have occurred previously. A certain Mr Folau springs to mind. Surely they could have had a word with the players beforehand to see how it would go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirds over Galway View Post
    I think it's about being told what to do rather than choose yourself. If I came in to work tomorrow and the company made us wear a Hi-Viz with a rainbow on, I wouldn't be happy but if they made it optional, I would wear one, probably just me being pedantic.
    Spot on.

FACT - LGBT people exist and are lovely, normal people.

UNPROVEN - There is a sky fairy that no one can prove exists and NO ONE ALIVE HAS EVER SEEN, that said it is an abomination…………but he loves everyone.

You choose to live your life, and judge people based on the latter then we have no common ground to even start a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    FACT - LGBT people exist and are lovely, normal people.

UNPROVEN - There is a sky fairy that no one can prove exists and NO ONE ALIVE HAS EVER SEEN, that said it is an abomination…………but he loves everyone.

You choose to live your life, and judge people based on the latter then we have no common ground to even start a conversation.
    Great post.

A quote from the article:

"Others accused the seven of hypocrisy, pointing out the team is sponsored by a brewery and betting agency."

'Christians' seem to be silent, passive and even have a permissible attitude to some of the more life threatening and dangerous things in society.

Saying that, open and transparent conversations are good and they should have consulted the players and brought them onboard if possible.