+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Some interesting changes being discussed

Some interesting changes being discussed

A minimum number of U23s in championship teams, changes to parachute payments, greater distribution of money to lower leagues
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...w-finance-deal

Re: Some interesting changes being discussed

Last thing we need is the championship to turn into some kind of sandbox u23 league that exists to serve the premier League teams. If the FA had a pair and cared about player development they would come up with a framework of rules that serves to make it either financially prohibitive or just very very difficult to hoard young players who are never likely to make a competitive first team appearance.

I don't see anything wrong with a small quota of U-23 needed for a squad. Aslong as It's not ridiculous, or required for match days.

The English leagues churn out so many young promising players like nothing and don't give them a chance, whilst overpaying on foreign players.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Last thing we need is the championship to turn into some kind of sandbox u23 league that exists to serve the premier League teams. If the FA had a pair and cared about player development they would come up with a framework of rules that serves to make it either financially prohibitive or just very very difficult to hoard young players who are never likely to make a competitive first team appearance.
    Totally agree with you. I'm so against this proposal. A quota of players is a terrible idea. They want supporters to buy season tickets to watch PL U23 development? As it stands clubs can decide who they loan and how many. It's no secret I don't like all the loanees at our club as it's a just a season-to-season merry-go-round and I'd prefer we scouted our own players and signed and developed those over 2 to 3 year contracts, even if it meant more from L1.

Stop the PL clubs stockpiling talent. That's where the problem arises. Young meh players are paid a fortune to sit on their arses. Make them work for a living in The Championship and L1 & L2 on realistic wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Totally agree with you. I'm so against this proposal. A quota of players is a terrible idea. They want supporters to buy season tickets to watch PL U23 development? As it stands clubs can decide who they loan and how many. It's no secret I don't like all the loanees at our club as it's a just a season-to-season merry-go-round and I'd prefer we scouted our own players and signed and developed those over 2 to 3 year contracts, even if it meant more from L1.

Stop the PL clubs stockpiling talent. That's where the problem arises. Young meh players are paid a fortune to sit on their arses. Make them work for a living in The Championship and L1 & L2 on realistic wages.
    We only have two players on loan this season so far don't we ? The rest we have all signed on contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    We only have two players on loan this season so far don't we ? The rest we have all signed on contracts.
    Yes, and that's good. The discussion is about the PL proposals. Not everything you read from me is an attack on our sacred club.