+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: NHS dentist check-ups in Wales cut to once a year

NHS dentist check-ups in Wales cut to once a year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62306931

Most adults in Wales will only visit the dentist only once a year, instead of every six months.

Re: NHS dentist check-ups in Wales cut to once a year

My NHS dentist is already doing annual check-ups for some patients. I had a reminder to book an appointment at the end of June and the next one available was in the middle of September. The system is completely broken.

I've been yearly since well before covid.

Dentist just suggested it one time I was in, as I'm usually in and out and can always go in if any problems I didn't mind it too much but can understand for some this wouldn't be ideal. Although I understand this isn't a strict rule for all.

Those figures seem quite far fetched in terms of new patients as a result of this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62306931

Most adults in Wales will only visit the dentist only once a year, instead of every six months.
    Friend of mine, a consultant at a dental hospital, has always said to me that one a year examination was enough, so nice to have it confirmed.

I wonder if my dentist will have to downsize his Porche?

International

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Friend of mine, a consultant at a dental hospital, has always said to me that one a year examination was enough, so nice to have it confirmed.

I wonder if my dentist will have to downsize his Porche?

They are making more, they all have much more patients.

International

It's terrible Welsh Labour I suppose we're lucky we get once a year!

Worst roads, lowest speeds, worst dentist service, worst NHS waiting lists, slowest ambulance times, longest grass, worst train and bus services vote for Drakeford

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post

Worst roads, lowest speeds, worst dentist service, worst NHS waiting lists, slowest ambulance times, longest grass, worst train and bus services vote for Drakeford
    It’s getting ridiculous now, getting hit left right and centre and no sign of it stopping.

+ most expensive supermarket alcohol.

Drakeford's learnt the worse he can make his citizens' lives then the greater the number of Labour AMs will be elected.

I used to get a text reminder. I haven't seen the dentist for 2 years, I had some work done then, the dentist was dressed as if he about to walkon the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    I used to get a text reminder. I haven't seen the dentist for 2 years, I had some work done then, the dentist was dressed as if he about to walkon the moon.
    Dentistry was one of the most high risk jobs during the pandemic due to the aerosols generated during treatment- hence the need for the space suits and decontamination between patients. They only did emergency treatment which caused the backlogs of regular treatment. Moving to annual check ups is one way of helping the backlogs.

Yes let's vote those conservative cnuts in

They will save us all , especially the toffs in North Cardiff

That's what us taffies need !

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Dentistry was one of the most high risk jobs during the pandemic due to the aerosols generated during treatment- hence the need for the space suits and decontamination between patients. They only did emergency treatment which caused the backlogs of regular treatment. Moving to annual check ups is one way of helping the backlogs.
    Once a year it is then

It's nothing to worry about

I didn't realise adults still had 6 monthly checkups. Mine have been yearly for as long as I can remember.
    The UK government has suggested once every 2 years https://www.theguardian.com/society/...land-wales-nhs

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Once a year it is then

If people listened to their dentist and hygienist and looked after their teeth better themselves, then there shouldn't be any need for a 6 monthly check up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    If people listened to their dentist and hygienist and looked after their teeth better themselves, then there shouldn't be any need for a 6 monthly check up.
    Mine are all false anyway

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Once a year it is then

I think a dental check-up is vitally important to detect oral cancers etc so this is a bad move. A good friend of mine had mouth cancer which was detected during a routine 6 monthly check-up - annual would have made his cancer more advanced.

He’s on the mend however he has lost half his jaw and is struggling to adjust.

Myself and family have gone private due to this policy.