+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squad numbers confirmed. #7 retired.

Re: Squad numbers confirmed. #7 retired.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I think the joke has completely passed you by there...
    Most things seem to bypass him

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I think the joke has completely passed you by there...
    I don't think humour is his first language.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I don't think humour is his first language.
    Not sure what is to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not sure what is to be honest.
    Miserabelish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Miserabelish.
    More Miserabellend

I don’t agree with retiring numbers, surely the best way of honouring Whitt’s and the number would be a worthy talent wearing it and being inspired by him? Granted, I don’t see that player in this squad, but we all know that some player in the next season or two is going to want the number and get it, so what’s the point?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    I don’t agree with retiring numbers, surely the best way of honouring Whitt’s and the number would be a worthy talent wearing it and being inspired by him? Granted, I don’t see that player in this squad, but we all know that some player in the next season or two is going to want the number and get it, so what’s the point?

I think Ronaldo will be arriving the same time as Bale, so you could be on to something.

Bellingham's being retired was embarrassing, I can see why the club did this, although I'd prefer a stand named after him

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think Ronaldo will be arriving the same time as Bale, so you could be on to something.
    Fat Ronaldo?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Bellingham's being retired was embarrassing, I can see why the club did this, although I'd prefer a stand named after him
    Stand and a statue

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    Fat Ronaldo?
    Oi show some respect to a legend

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ghams-24612515

A 'Whittingham 7' shirt to be hung up in the changing room for every home and away match this season.

Morison's suggestion it seems (part of the proposal to retire the No 7) and supported by the Board.

They hope it will inspire the squad. Hopefully it will, even if hardly any of them will have played alongside Whitts.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ghams-24612515

A 'Whittingham 7' shirt to be hung up in the changing room for every home and away match this season.

Morison's suggestion it seems (part of the proposal to retire the No 7) and supported by the Board.

They hope it will inspire the squad. Hopefully it will, even if hardly any of them will have played alongside Whitts.
    That's superb fair play

Aren't we in danger of going a little over the top here? Yes, he was a great servant to the club, and his death was a tragic accident, but retiring a shirt number? Hanging his kit in the changing room? Really? Most of the players in the squad this season will have no idea who he was.

But isn't that exactly the point? There's 13 new faces in the dressing room and SM needs to embed a Cardiff culture. No better way than constantly reminding them about someone we see as a legend for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Aren't we in danger of going a little over the top here? Yes, he was a great servant to the club, and his death was a tragic accident, but retiring a shirt number? Hanging his kit in the changing room? Really? Most of the players in the squad this season will have no idea who he was.
    You’re entitled to your opinion, but shame on you for writing those few sentences

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You’re entitled to your opinion, but shame on you for writing those few sentences
    Agreed.
    My all time favourite City player, a wand of a left foot, brilliant service to the club, and clearly a top fella. Whitts was loved and respected by all, he's an inspiration for younger players.

Personally I think it's the least we can do - for me having followed the club since 1978 he is one of the few that warrants this kind of recognition purely based on length of service and contribution to one of our most successful periods in the last couple of decades

Not your finest post.

Two Cardiff teams with no.7 retired City with Whitts. and Devils with Duggie.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Right decision from the club.
    Scandalous that Warnock gave it to Bacuna to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Madlock View Post
    Good points about keeping favourite numbers. However, as a show of support/confidence in Colwill especially, I’d have liked to see him handed a ‘main man’ squad number.
    I've no idea if Colwill has chosen the 27 shirt but it's possible, especially as Isaak Davies picked his. I'm surprised it doesn't have more significance, I remember David Tutonda (twice) and Kadeem Harris taking the 27 shirt when they went out on loan a few years ago but it never seems to be have been exactly fought over here. I'd be moderately interested to find out if Colwill chose it himself.

Can't believe there's City fans that think this way.

💙 💙 💙