+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - Leaving Wales for work

OT - Leaving Wales for work

Sorry for the random post, but always get good insights from you guys.

I have the opportunity to move for a new job, and I am conflicted.

Current situation:
    Single / No kids / 27 years old / Porthcawl

Work for the council, it is an okay job, low stress, sociable hours, but I find it boring.
    salary 23k a year opportunity to increase to 28k in 2-5 years.

I have a good social life, play footy twice a week, golf with friends every weekend and Cardiff season ticket / Wales games. And live near my parents / sister + neice's

-------------

Opportunity.
    Become an off-shore wind turbine engineer, free accommodation in Cumbria. 24k for 2 years then 45k salary

It is a career / industry that I am genuinely passionate and excited about. Very competitive recruitment process which I am grateful to get

But worried I would be isolated / regret leaving family and friends.

Re: OT - Leaving Wales for work

go for it - you can always come back if it doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

Current situation:

Work for the council, it is an okay job, low stress, sociable hours, but I find it boring.

I have a good social life, play footy twice a week, golf with friends every weekend and Cardiff season ticket / Wales games. And live near my parents / sister + neice's

-------------

Opportunity.
    Become an off-shore wind turbine engineer, free accommodation in Cumbria. 24k for 2 years then 45k salary

It is a career / industry that I am genuinely passionate and excited about. Very competitive recruitment process which I am grateful to get

It's fecking miserable up there

You may as well life in Iceland

Stay put

Current situation:

-------------

Opportunity.

For me if I were in your shoes, now is the time, its a decent job with a decent wage, you are single and carefree, go for it
    you can always travel home on your weekend / time off and if you really hate it, just move back home and start again

but for me, you have nothing to lose, go for it

Is the 45k written into a contract with your name on it, or is it a maybe? If you haven’t got it in writing it’s worthless.

I left aged 24, similar conditions. Best decision I made. I’ve travelled the world, lived in 7 different countries, worked in another 20 or so, followed City from afar, played golf wherever I’ve been, have a family born in 3 different countries and increased my salary & benefits 8x. Life is what you make & how you grasp the opportunities.

I wouldn’t move for £1k but if the potential to double you salary is real then it’s a massive springboard for your future

The potential difficulty, I forsee with this particular opportunity, will be whether you can sacrifice your family/friends and social life for just an extra £1k during the initial two year period?

You're probably going to be part of a small team, what happens if you find you've got nothing in common or simply don't get along with the others?
    All well and fine in a normal situation, whereby you can finish work at the end of the day and go home and unwind. However, for sure, you and your small team will be sharing accommodation - which leads to another question... in a rural costal area, what will that accommodation be exactly.... a portacabin?

I found myself in a similar situation to you in 2003. I left my job in South Wales to move to London on a two year contract.
    Friends said I was crazy to pack in my job that I'd held for 23 years, for a relatively short-term employment opportunity.
    My salary 3x in London doing exactly the same work, but it wasn't mainly about the money, I knew I had to make a change or otherwise I'd never get out of the rut I was in.
    I can honestly say it was the best decision I have ever made.

I think you have to have a go .
    The job enthuses you , work should be enjoyable .(To a degree)
    At 27 life is for living , grasping opportunities not mundanely watching it passing you by.

Lots of brilliant walking up in Cumbria , Northerners are genuinely friendly and welcoming . They might even have football....
    Your family and friends will still be here if it doesn't work out.
    I came here at 25 with next to nothing , I have never looked back . I wouldn't have achieved what I have without moving.
    My friends from those days remain my friends and family are always on the end of a call. Travelling home is easy enough but you will find it will get less and less as you find new interests.
    Go for it Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Stay put
    What a beautiful place.

First Team

I have made many mistakes in my life but the one thing I regret most is looking back and thinking “what if”.

Give it a go and see what happens. Home will always be there and you can return if it doesn’t work out.

Best of luck.

How much time off would you get? If it’s pretty decent then you can get back a fair bit anyway. It might be a bit lonely for a while but there’s always a sacrifice somewhere, now is the time to go for these things….27….must be the youngest poster on here too

Go for it. You don’t want to regret not taking this great opportunity in years to come. It will be too late then. You are young enough to bounce back if it doesn’t work out. Plus it could do wonders for your career prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    What a beautiful place.
    Only one of the most beautiful in the world…..…sludge should write for lonely planet

I left school on a Thursday, caught the 7.30am train Friday morning and have never looked back....Porthcawl seen better day's. Go for it you might like it.

I’d do it. Just on the first two years alone you’ll be doing a job you love over one you don’t - and not losing out financially. You also get the opportunity to see somewhere new and meet new people, with not being so far away from home that you can’t come back to visit.

Then at the end of the two years you either come home having lost nothing or enjoy it and earn £45k.

It’s a risk free move for me

Don't regret not giving it a go. What's the worst that could happen? You don't like it and come back home.

Go for it.

You are in the best position you will ever be in, as soon as you have kids the more difficult it will be to take such a "risk".

To accept a job you are passionate about could well lead to further opportunities.

As soon as you have been in the job a few months then returned home you will realise that you haven't missed a thing.

You will more than likely find that other doors open and the transition will be much easier.

Do it!

I'm 10 years older than you. Through various things happening around me I had an opportunity last year to go self employed (I've only ever been salaried) and run my own business. I had a lot of pressure put on me by colleagues who told me my clients would be picked off by competitors and I wouldn't have a business etc etc

In the end I took all bar one client with me and will this year near triple my previous salary. It's been a huge learning curve and really hard work but I didn't want to look back in years to come and think "what if ?". If I get fed up with it and am still able to keep all my clients, I'm confident I could walk back into salaried employment at another company if I wanted to.

Go for it. If it doesn't work out or you don't like it you can always come back; nothing is ever permanent.

Im only 32 in a very well paid job and im bored off my tits.

Go do something you enjoy before it’s too late

It's always better to do something and decide it's not for you, than to not do it and regret it.

The two most important things in your post are "single" and "no kids". For me, that makes it a bit of a no brainer. You're at an age where, in 5 or so years, you'll probably want to settle down, so nows your opportunity to get outside your comfort zone. As others have said, the worst case scenario is you just come back. But if you stick it out I guarantee you'll learn a few things about yourself.

I left Wales when I was 22 and as much as I love it, I come back and I see the same people in the same places doing the same things as when I left.

It sounds like a sensible career move, too. I think you'd be mad not to do it.

Do you own a house? If not I'd 100% take that job and work until you've got a good deposit and then come back.

One thing to be aware of, being 27 years old is probably peak for your social life, once you get to around 30 your mates start having families and can come out less.

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Stay put
    Might have expected that kind of response from you.

International

Take the opportunity while it is there. Travel meet different people have new experiences and broaden your outlook on life.
    your family will always be with you where ever you go and in these times its easy to chat and even see them with whatsapp, and you will always make your own social life where ever.

Go for it, You have nothing to lose (but your chains) and if you move on it will look good on your CV.

Current situation:

-------------

Opportunity.

When you suddenly find yourself unexpectedly dumped into your 60s (!), you look back upon your 20s and realise just how much time you have to change things if you take risks and it doesn't work out.

Check that contract - and if it is good, I would go for it!

I took a clerical job in Switzerland straight after Uni in something totally unrelated to my degree. Then got called up for the Swiss army just as a career job came up in the UK. Went for the safer option and came back....but I often wonder.....

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Do you own a house? If not I'd 100% take that job and work until you've got a good deposit and then come back.

One thing to be aware of, being 27 years old is probably peak for your social life, once you get to around 30 your mates start having families and can come out less.
    Yes, that's a good point too.