+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - Leaving Wales for work

Re: OT - Leaving Wales for work

Council/public sector jobs tend to be uninspiring, given the very limited authority & responsibility the individual has compared with the private sector. Cumbria is beautiful - even the towns, there are golf clubs, you can play football. Re. family you're not the other side of the world. My kids are 100's miles away. Go for it.

Definitely do it, you can visit your friends/family, they can come stay etc. If you hate it then come home. There's chance you'll regret it if you go but that's fixable, you'll definitely regret it if you don't go and that isn't

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    It's always better to do something and decide it's not for you, than to not do it and regret it.

The two most important things in your post are "single" and "no kids". For me, that makes it a bit of a no brainer. You're at an age where, in 5 or so years, you'll probably want to settle down, so nows your opportunity to get outside your comfort zone. As others have said, the worst case scenario is you just come back. But if you stick it out I guarantee you'll learn a few things about yourself.

I left Wales when I was 22 and as much as I love it, I come back and I see the same people in the same places doing the same things as when I left.

It sounds like a sensible career move, too. I think you'd be mad not to do it.
    This is excellent advice.

(I moved from Cardiff to London for work after my degree - something that I always wanted to try, and it worked out for me personally. That said, some of my friends tried it too and moved back. But at least they tried it and now know. There is nothing wrong with that)

You must be blown away to have such an opportunity.

Do it.

You may not be able to make such a move in future due to a relationship, children etc. - and as others have opined, you can always move back after giving it a whirl. It's great experience to move away from one's home environment. I moved abroad at 20 and I think I can say that it changed my life and broadened my mind.

International

Some good replies from people who have been in your position, I have done the same and am greatful I took the risk and opportunity's when I did.

Life and work are a ladder, you start at the bottom where it’s pretty safe and steady, but it gets boring, and your lifestyle will stay pretty poor unless you try and work your way up. You're ready for the next step and you'll need to keep moving up and stepping out of your comfort zone in the future, if you want a nice house and to provide for your future family.

What I like about your situation is that you’re moving from a boring job that anyone can do, to a skilled future proof job and the need for your role and experience is likely to grow significantly, whereas computers and robots will take over the majority of your existing work at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Once qualified the World is your Lobster and you can either come back to Wales or travel the World as your skills will be in demand, just do it and don't look back, you'll soon make new friends!

International

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Some good replies from people who have been in your position, I have done the same and am greatful I took the risk and opportunity's when I did.

Life and work are a ladder, you start at the bottom where it’s pretty safe and steady, but it gets boring, and your lifestyle will stay pretty poor unless you try and work your way up. You're ready for the next step and you'll need to keep moving up and stepping out of your comfort zone in the future, if you want a nice house and to provide for your future family.

What I like about your situation is that you’re moving from a boring job that anyone can do, to a skilled future proof job and the need for your role and experience is likely to grow significantly, whereas computers and robots will take over the majority of your existing work at some point in the not-too-distant future.

Once qualified the World is your Lobster and you can either come back to Wales or travel the World as your skills will be in demand, just do it and don't look back, you'll soon make new friends!
    Grateful lol

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Sorry for the random post, but always get good insights from you guys.

I have the opportunity to move for a new job, and I am conflicted.

Current situation:
    Single / No kids / 27 years old / Porthcawl

Work for the council, it is an okay job, low stress, sociable hours, but I find it boring.
    salary 23k a year opportunity to increase to 28k in 2-5 years.

I have a good social life, play footy twice a week, golf with friends every weekend and Cardiff season ticket / Wales games. And live near my parents / sister + neice's

-------------

Opportunity.
    Become an off-shore wind turbine engineer, free accommodation in Cumbria. 24k for 2 years then 45k salary

It is a career / industry that I am genuinely passionate and excited about. Very competitive recruitment process which I am grateful to get

But worried I would be isolated / regret leaving family and friends.
    Do it!!

Plusses:
    £24k with free accommodation is a big payrise
    £45k after 2 years is a very big payrise
    It's a growing industry that should be here for a long time
    It's something different, somewhere different.
    Carlisle may not be Las Vegas, but it has a nightlife and people - Glasgow is also close enough and thats an amazing place.

Minuses:
    You'll probably miss home, but you can always come back anyway

Whenever I have a 50/50 decision I use the “regret the things you did and not the things you failed to do” approach. I lived in Canada 20 years ago and have just moved back to the UK from the USA. Have made friends for life and had a blast too.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's fecking miserable up there

You may as well live in Iceland

Stay put
    He is still single, and the sheep in Cumbria are beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBlue View Post
    Whenever I have a 50/50 decision I use the “regret the things you did and not the things you failed to do” approach. I lived in Canada 20 years ago and have just moved back to the UK from the USA. Have made friends for life and had a blast too.
    Admin, please ensure this gentleman changes his user name within the next 21 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    The potential difficulty, I forsee with this particular opportunity, will be whether you can sacrifice your family/friends and social life for just an extra £1k during the initial two year period?

You're probably going to be part of a small team, what happens if you find you've got nothing in common or simply don't get along with the others?
    All well and fine in a normal situation, whereby you can finish work at the end of the day and go home and unwind. However, for sure, you and your small team will be sharing accommodation - which leads to another question... in a rural costal area, what will that accommodation be exactly.... a portacabin?

I found myself in a similar situation to you in 2003. I left my job in South Wales to move to London on a two year contract.
    Friends said I was crazy to pack in my job that I'd held for 23 years, for a relatively short-term employment opportunity.
    My salary 3x in London doing exactly the same work, but it wasn't mainly about the money, I knew I had to make a change or otherwise I'd never get out of the rut I was in.
    I can honestly say it was the best decision I have ever made.
    Alan I live a few doors from my friends and feeling more and more isolated as peoples lives change

Every situation is what you make of it and I would relish the chance to have my time over

Moved from Cardiff 1979 to London, got a job within two weeks. After nine years in London moved to Sweden.Got a job after 4 weeks.
    Six weeks on the dole compared to you lot that spend a life time on it..Kidding

Go for it.
    You only regret things you don’t do.
    Gaining new experiences, and travelling is the best thing you can do.

Many yrs ago, when i was 20, i had the opportunity to move to Sth Africa, and work for my college lecturers brother, who had a successful building company there.
    I had no ties at the time, and the prospect excited me. When it came to decision time though, i bottled it a bit, and didn’t go.
    I’ve had a good life living and working in Cardiff, and have never regretted the decision. I’ve refused to think too much about it over the yrs, as i’ll never know now how it would have worked out, and it would be negative thinking.
    What ever you decide, stick with it and don’t have any regrets. Good luck either way 👍

as people are giving life examples, here is mine

I was working as a carpenter for a builder in Barry, a top bloke, we got on well, he had a son a few years younger than me who was " training " to take over the day to day running of the company one day, the lad was also ok, I had always planned to work a little after I had done my HNC in building and go backpacking around the world, I worked for a few years and was ready to go ( it was no secret my plans, I was always honest with the boss ) when it was time for me to go, he was disappointed and said he " had hopes I would stay and forget the travelling plans " , I hadn't, so he then offered me a partnership in the building company, 33% of it if I stayed, of course this was very tempting, it really was, nice money, a decent job with decent blokes and a future in life, but the lure was huge to go backing packing, get out of the rave scene I was heavily into, drink loads of beer, meet girls and end up surfing the best breaks in Australia,

I bottled it, I went backpacking and did the irresponsible thing and didnt think about my future, honestly it was a blast, the best time of my life

I'd give it a go mate, I went to Canada to work for only 6 months and had plans to come back to Wales and go to uni afterwards. 6 months turned into 12 months, I came back for 2 years but had a huge urge to go back as I had another visa that was available to me.

So all in all I ended up in Canada for 3 years, met an awesome Australian girl, we've lived in Wales, NZ and now living in Melbourne. Bit of a crazy route to get here but it's an amazing place. We would like to move back to Wales for a few years at some point so the option is there.

Seems like you're worried about the distance but it's all subjective, to me Cumbria to Wales is like living down the road, distance is a huge problem for us but the world is growing smaller by the year and we are lucky we are able to visit (will be my third trip to Wales in less than 12 months in a few months time), Qantas are introducing direct flights from London to Melbourne/Sydney in a couple years so will shave another 10-20% of the travel time off.

As mentioned by others you can always just move back home, really no shame in that.

Lots of good advice throughout the thread, summarised as don’t regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    I'd give it a go mate, I went to Canada to work for only 6 months and had plans to come back to Wales and go to uni afterwards. 6 months turned into 12 months, I came back for 2 years but had a huge urge to go back as I had another visa that was available to me.

So all in all I ended up in Canada for 3 years, met an awesome Australian girl, we've lived in Wales, NZ and now living in Melbourne. Bit of a crazy route to get here but it's an amazing place. We would like to move back to Wales for a few years at some point so the option is there.

Seems like you're worried about the distance but it's all subjective, to me Cumbria to Wales is like living down the road, distance is a huge problem for us but the world is growing smaller by the year and we are lucky we are able to visit (will be my third trip to Wales in less than 12 months in a few months time), Qantas are introducing direct flights from London to Melbourne/Sydney in a couple years so will shave another 10-20% of the travel time off.

As mentioned by others you can always just move back home, really no shame in that.
    As someone that wanted to move to Aus but never could convince my wife, why would you want to come back

Just remembered I had previous to leaving home for work.
    When I was 20 I travelled to Kuwait with my trade , did 2 weeks hated it and returned home.
    Couple of months later an opportunity came up to work in Iraq , which I took . Loved it and earned massive money.
    The point is , if you don't like it you can come home.

There are some great stories on here Chris , wondering what your thoughts are?

I would find out more about the free accommodation and where it is etc. My guess is that your Co. will operate out of Workington and its not the best of places IMV. Neither are Whitehaven or Barrow. Cockermouth is OK. Some great golf around there though especially Silloth. In your shoes I'd go for it but maybe negotiate on the accommodation location if poss.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I wish I had the opportunity to move when I was 27. I worked in a couple of different locations then moved abroad later and when I did haven’t regretted it for one minute. You’ll be surprised how many like minded people are making the same kind of decisions.

It will change your outlook on life completely even if you eventually decide it wasn’t for you.

Do.it. The only regret will be not doing it when you had the opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Alan I live a few doors from my friends and feeling more and more isolated as peoples lives change

Every situation is what you make of it and I would relish the chance to have my time over
    Yeah, I know what you mean about finding yourself more and more isolated as time goes by.
    I think someone already touched on it in this thread, that when you get into your thirties, people's lives change; they get married, kids, move away for work etc.
    I used to worry about staying in touch with my friends. Then there grew a realisation that they were putting themselves and family first (naturally).
    It was this that made my decision to up sticks and move away much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Just remembered I had previous to leaving home for work.
    When I was 20 I travelled to Kuwait with my trade , did 2 weeks hated it and returned home.
    Couple of months later an opportunity came up to work in Iraq , which I took . Loved it and earned massive money.
    The point is , if you don't like it you can come home.

There are some great stories on here Chris , wondering what your thoughts are?
    The advice has been amazing, it was basically exactly what I needed to hear, and the same stuff I would tell someone if they had asked me the same question.

After reading all the replies I had fully committed to the role, which deep down I new I wanted.

What I did not mention in my post, was I posted it the day of my interview, while I was still up in Cumbria. The interview went really well, and I was confident. I posted the question on here, because everything was really fresh and I was overthinking a lot.

Unfortunately, I had an e-mail this morning, said all the rights things but that they regret to tell me I was unsuccessful.

To be honest, I am surprised and gutted, I genuinely believed it was nailed on due the feedback after my interview.
    I believed the fact they were asking me about my living preferences and what allowances they would offer me, was a conversation you would only have after they are successful.

I think ultimately it came down to the fact the other candidates were living local, and did not require relocation.

Either way I am happy I went for it, and more determined to find other exciting opportunities for the future now.