+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Energy Price Cap latest

Energy Price Cap latest

Re: Energy Price Cap latest

Our gas contract expired in April 2022.
    This guy was advising not getting a fixed rate deal, but to go with the flow. Just before we had to get a new contract, he said, 'Whoa the next cap is going to be massive - get the best fixed rate deal you can find' - which is what we did. Boy am I pleased with his advice.
    We get his updates and he's been predicting this stonking increase for months.
    So, it's time to top up the loft insulation, get into the habit of using the washing line not the tumble dryer (20% saving) and even considering opening up the front room fireplace (which I blocked off ten years ago). There's loads of wood lying around near us.

Wash yer smalls as you shower.
    Dry clothes naturally .
    Buy thermals.
    Listen to radio Instead of TV that will save 120 a month
    Lose 50 mobile contracts go pay as you go .
    Don't eat or drink out .
    Don't speed.
    Grow you own vegetables
    Free wheel down hills
    Walk Don't drive
    Shop at Aldi/ Lidl save a fortune.
    Microwave food instead of oven.
    Barbecue through warm winters
    Don't cool yer beer drink it warm
    Get 3 dogs. ..to keep warm at night..

Hang on the world is warming why do we need to insulate ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Hang on the world is warming why do we need to insulate ??

Seriously? After 40 degree temperatures last week? You want to know why we should insulate?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Seriously? After 40 degree temperatures last week? You want to know why we should insulate?
    He's a massive Pleb. He doesn't realise that good insulation keeps energy in the property, and that it also keeps the house cool during hot days.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He's a massive Pleb. He doesn't realise that good insulation keeps energy in the property, and that it also keeps the house cool during hot days.

Yes a lot of the summer heat comes in through the attic, if it's really hot upstairs in the summer, you can see how much heat is escaping the other way in the winter.

I did a 2.5 year fix up until March 2024 the longest deal I could get, i'm so glad I did, hopefully by then the worst will have past.

Is there any reason at all electricity has gone up too? We get barely any gas from Russia, 5% was it? They are taking us all for mugs I reckon.

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Is there any reason at all electricity has gone up too? We get barely any gas from Russia, 5% was it? They are taking us all for mugs I reckon.
    They use gas to generate electricity

British Gas owner Centrica and Shell see profits soar as bills rise https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62330190

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    If prices rise as is being suggested here, then millions simply will not pay. Which isn't a solution in itself at all, but I suspect it's what would happen, effectively a bill-strike. And if some got away with it then everyone would do it.

The oil and gas industries need to see the writing on the wall here - if they want to return to the normality they (and we) previously enjoyed, they will need to turn that profit made in other parts of their business into reduced energy costs, or else many countries will simply nationalise them, and bill payers either will not, or will be unable to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    British Gas owner Centrica and Shell see profits soar as bills rise https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62330190
    Government should hit them with a windfall tax and use that to fund a cost of living support scheme

A 77% increase in October will be great news for debt collecting agencies as well as shareholders in energy companies. Klaus Schwab will be chuffed too as financial circumstances will compel people to slash their usage of nasty fossil fuels whether they care to or not. Save the planet wallahs will stoically grin from ear to ear when paying their rocketing gas and leccy bills.

I foresee several million pensioners and others who are skint hibernating in their beds clinging to a hot water bottle for much of late autumn and most of winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    A 77% increase in October will be great news for debt collecting agencies as well as shareholders in energy companies. Klaus Schwab will be chuffed too as financial circumstances will compel people to slash their usage of nasty fossil fuels whether they care to or not. Save the planet wallahs will stoically grin from ear to ear when paying their rocketing gas and leccy bills.

I foresee several million pensioners and others who are skint hibernating in their beds clinging to a hot water bottle for much of late autumn and most of winter.
    Cheaper to go away on holiday for Jan and Feb probably!

Re nationalise gas and electricity

And the phones and water

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    One day, in 1976 it baked for weeks and a Welsh reservoir ran dry .. weeks of house pipe bans folk told to share bath water ...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    If prices rise as is being suggested here, then millions simply will not pay. Which isn't a solution in itself at all, but I suspect it's what would happen, effectively a bill-strike. And if some got away with it then everyone would do it.

The oil and gas industries need to see the writing on the wall here - if they want to return to the normality they (and we) previously enjoyed, they will need to turn that profit made in other parts of their business into reduced energy costs, or else many countries will simply nationalise them, and bill payers either will not, or will be unable to pay.
    The energy bill rebate package is worth £15bn. Centrica's profits after tax are about £600mn. There are no easy solutions to this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Really , you haven't commented on my list of cost saving ideas ...

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    The energy bill rebate package is worth £15bn. Centrica's profits after tax are about £600mn. There are no easy solutions to this problem.
    I completely agree.

But the energy production and distribution industry, in the broadest sense is making money. And if it wants to in the future, it may need to recognise that it needs to keep it's model affordable and economically viable or else something gives, and if it does, they suffer.

We should never have sold off the family silver

Would we be in this situation if Thatcher hadn't privatised the gas , elec etc ?

Competition they say .......all I can see is people running around in fear scrambling to get energy as cheaply as they can

Was it all worth it ?

I am with them on this deal

Oh are you ? My Bert changed us to the other lot

Doris is on the same lot who provide her mobile phone

Which is more expensive than our mobile phone

Ff sake !

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Changing topic slightly, globally we're heading for a perfect storm. Western economies already racking up huge debts before covid, demand on public services stretching to breaking point even though spending increasing exponentially, taxation across western economies the highest for decades, and the one thing all countries dread - inflation - set to rise to 12%, which in turn will put pressure on wages, which will see inflation continue, which will see countries debt repayments soar. Oh, and a European war, and China getting ready to do 'a Russia'. Batten down the hatches !!

There is currently in the UK a private company energy cartel in operation.They all charge the same price the energy cap.Scrap the energy cap and let the fat cat companies fight for business.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Would we be in this situation if Thatcher hadn't privatised the gas , elec etc ?

Competition they say .......all I can see is people running around in fear scrambling to get energy as cheaply as they can

Was it all worth it ?
    In short, yes, we would be.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Was it all worth it ?
    It's not 'competition' though - if it were then maybe things might be better. What you have are literally 1000's of tariffs, the folk that don't shop around end up subsidizing those who do. Energy, Rail, Water, ideally should be state-owned and run.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    In short, yes, we would be.
    I beg to differ