+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking The Knee

Re: Taking The Knee

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I'm probably going to get pilloried for saying this but I don't think you should be giving out free tickets because they're a different race?
    You're correct. I would have been giving them free tickets because they are locals and representative of the demographic within a 2-3 mile radius of the stadium. I don't want anyone to be pilloried for asking a question.

The justification for giving out tickets to people of a different race could be argued though on the grounds of a lack of representation. Or, to turn the question on its head, why is our fan base predominantly white male in a local area that isn't?

Just to add, when we walk back from a match, we get loads of people asking 'how did we do?' from different ethnicities and genders. It's strange that they identify the club as 'their's' but don't go. I'd like to have that dialogue with local people more but it has to be done right and really needs the club to do this with well-trained engagement officers. I'd like to see the club appoint local community ambassadors who can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Swansea have decided they will stop this season.

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/swa...nt-taking-knee

My impression from a statement on the Cardiff website last week was that we will continue (I may be wrong).

It feels like the number of clubs continuing to make the gesture is dropping, and it will be the minority that carry on.

Most of the statements from clubs that have decided against Taking The Knee talk about finding other ways of making a stand and fighting discrimination. Do any of them actually do anything to back that up? Or is it just a move from a gesture that highlights a cause and maintains a conversation to nothing at all?

Personally I hope we carry on. It is not enough, but it is something. All the shouting from a section of the support and public about BLM and 'Marxists' (to my mind usually displaying their own ignorance and prejudice) makes me want to see it continue even more. My guess is that players like Mahlon Romeo who faced abuse from his former club's fans for taking a stance will be strongly in favour of carrying on.
    100% agree it should become engrained in our psyche

Genuine, serious question. What is Swansea's local demographic these days considering they play at The Liberty?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Kick it out has done feck all compared to BLM

It's not perfect but it's the best we have at the moment

If it pisses off the meatheads and singles them out then I am all for it
    I don't think that is true at all. And it comes with much less political baggage.

Kick it Out was established in 1993, it’s not really worked has it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Kick it Out was established in 1993, it’s not really worked has it.
    You don't think the issue of racism in society or football is not better now than in 30 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Hope mine arrives in time for tomorrow's match.

Attachment 5037
    Isn't it a myth that Vikings never really wore such helmets?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    You don't think the issue of racism in society or football is not better now than in 30 years ago?
    Not to an extent that the founders of Kick it Out would be satisfied with. Far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I don't think that is true at all. And it comes with much less political baggage.
    Kick it out is box ticking on a huge scale

Taking the knee is direct

And it pisses off and shuts up a lot of racists

They are not comparable

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not to an extent that the founders of Kick it Out would be satisfied with. Far from it.
    The goals are always moved though aren't they - I think the change in opinions in the country in 30 years is extraordinary. My personal opinion is that organisations like BLM actually risk reversing a generally more colour blind, racially harmonious society.

Certainly seems to be happening in the US - not all BLM related of course, but they contribute.

These guys are worth a follow on twitter IMO - A much more progressive way forward
    https://twitter.com/DontDivideUsNow

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Absolutely my point exactly its all pretence and meaningless..

It's like the false adverts and roles on TV which portrays black people in false positions in life ...

Great idea your ticket hand out e mail the club ...
    Which false positions in life are adverts and roles in TV portraying black people in?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    So you're saying they did wear them...?

I don't like being told what to do and I don't like telling other people what to do. If players want to do it they are welcome to do so and no-one should discourage them from doing so. On the other hand, those who don't wish to partake shouldn't be pilloried or pressured. Simples.

Hope mine arrives in time for tomorrow's match.

Attachment 5037
    19th century trope! The Danes did not have horns on their helmets.

Genuine, serious question. What is Swansea's local demographic these days considering they play at The Liberty?
    Travellers

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    That's disappointing.

I don't like being told what to do and I don't like telling other people what to do. If players want to do it they are welcome to do so and no-one should discourage them from doing so. On the other hand, those who don't wish to partake shouldn't be pilloried or pressured. Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    Henry VIII did though!

Henry VIII horned helmet.jpg

A bit more content to the Swansea decision - although it still looks like abandoning what they call a 'token gesture' for.... nothing!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...ist-abuse.html

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A bit more content to the Swansea decision - although it still looks like abandoning what they call a 'token gesture' for.... nothing!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...ist-abuse.html
    So much of this is related to social media isn't it. I think we all know that the veil of anonymity allows people to behave in ways they never normally would.

Unsure what the answer is on that. I don't think people should have to show ID etc, but I'm unsure what could eradicate it entirely. Twitter is the real cesspit.

I do sometimes wonder whether it's better to not give it the fuel it craves and to treat it as we would graffiti on a toilet door?

From the Mail link the above poster has kindly sourced I do like Sir Les's view :

""QPR made the decision to do so in September 2020, with director of football Les Ferdinand saying at the time that the gesture was 'little more than good PR'.""

As the article states and as my views football authorities to feck all and the gesture gets them off the hook... pathetic..

God bless the Mail

You're correct. I would have been giving them free tickets because they are locals and representative of the demographic within a 2-3 mile radius of the stadium. I don't want anyone to be pilloried for asking a question.

The justification for giving out tickets to people of a different race could be argued though on the grounds of a lack of representation. Or, to turn the question on its head, why is our fan base predominantly white male in a local area that isn't?
    I completely agree with you on the club's need to engage more with the myriad communities in Cardiff and South Wales (weren't we toward the bottom of some kind of fan engagement survey?). The mural fiasco and the whole "reverse racism" argument put forward by the club was absolutely shameful

That being said I'm not entirely sure on that point in bold, I'm not entirely sure that's the case. The stadium's in Canton and whilst Grangetown is incredibly diverse (at a guess I'd say its the most diverse area in Cardiff?) you turn the other way and go into Fairwater, Ely, Caerau etc it's a very different story. Not that this should let the club off the hook in terms of general engagement and I agree that the fanbase isn't fully representative of Cardiff, but Grangetown isn't really representative of the rest of Cardiff either

Apparently, Scandinavian artists used poetic license in the 1800s. Coincidentally, I've been reading quite a bit about Vikings in Britain over the last year or so and that's completely changed my view from the mythical versions. Not sure how any of this helps eradicate racism in football but Odin works in mysterious ways.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I completely agree with you on the club's need to engage more with the myriad communities in Cardiff and South Wales (weren't we toward the bottom of some kind of fan engagement survey?). The mural fiasco and the whole "reverse racism" argument put forward by the club was absolutely shameful

That being said I'm not entirely sure on that point in bold, I'm not entirely sure that's the case. The stadium's in Canton and whilst Grangetown is incredibly diverse (at a guess I'd say its the most diverse area in Cardiff?) you turn the other way and go into Fairwater, Ely, Caerau etc it's a very different story. Not that this should let the club off the hook in terms of general engagement and I agree that the fanbase isn't fully representative of Cardiff, but Grangetown isn't really representative of the rest of Cardiff either
    You're right about Grangetown. I guess it just feels so close because it's only about a 30-40 minute walk to the stadium for me. I mentioned to someone yesterday that Grangetown reminds me of living in London in many respects. Maybe that last question was badly phrased, but for me, it's quite a culture shock to suddenly be surrounded by a lack of diversity when I get there (except on the pitch of course).

The other weird part for me is I never think of the stadium as being in Canton even though it is. I technically lived in The Bay for almost a decade when I came back from London but so close to Bute Street that it, too, felt diverse and we walked to the stadium via Clare Road and then through Grangetown. Even in Grangetown, we're close to Riverside and Taff Embankment so it all feels lumped together.

I'd always seen Canton as being fairly diverse but maybe I'm wrong about that?