+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 EFL attendances this weekend

Top 10 EFL attendances this weekend

Huge crowd at Sunderland today for their lunchtime game against Coventry. Three of the top four EFL attendances this weekend were in League One, while the eighth biggest crowd was in League Two at Bradford, where more than 19,000 got to see Lee Tomlin's comedy red card. City's attendance for the Norwich game ranks seventh in the list:

40,851 - Sunderland v Coventry
    31,053 - Derby v Oxford (League One)
    26,901 - Sheffield Weds v Portsmouth (League One)
    26,688 - Ipswich v Bolton (League One)
    26,567 - Middlesbrough v West Brom
    20,206 - Huddersfield v Burnley
    19,969 - Cardiff v Norwich
    19,468 - Bradford v Doncaster (League Two)
    16,667 - Hull v Bristol City
    15,429 - Wigan v Preston

The rest of the Championship attendances were:

15,341 - Millwall v Stoke
    14,315 - Blackburn v QPR
    10,831 - Blackpool v Reading
    10,454 - Rotherham v Swansea
    9,921 - Luton v Birmingham

Re: Top 10 EFL attendances this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Huge crowd at Sunderland today for their lunchtime game against Coventry. Three of the top four EFL attendances this weekend were in League One, while the eighth biggest crowd was in League Two at Bradford, where more than 19,000 got to see Lee Tomlin's comedy red card. City's attendance for the Norwich game ranks seventh in the list:

40,851 - Sunderland v Coventry
    31,053 - Derby v Oxford (League One)
    26,901 - Sheffield Weds v Portsmouth (League One)
    26,688 - Ipswich v Bolton (League One)
    26,567 - Middlesbrough v West Brom
    20,206 - Huddersfield v Burnley
    19,969 - Cardiff v Norwich
    19,468 - Bradford v Doncaster (League Two)
    16,667 - Hull v Bristol City
    15,429 - Wigan v Preston

The rest of the Championship attendances were:

15,341 - Millwall v Stoke
    14,315 - Blackburn v QPR
    10,831 - Blackpool v Reading
    10,454 - Rotherham v Swansea
    9,921 - Luton v Birmingham
    Pretty disappointed with our crowd considering a healthy away following of 1,800 ish

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Pretty disappointed with our crowd considering a healthy away following of 1,800 ish
    And very well behaved & quiet they were.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    And very well behaved & quiet they were.
    They are a family club and usually are quiet and well behaved from the games I’ve seen over the years

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Why? Bigger than 20 of last seasons attendances and 2.5k bigger than last seasons opener.

And off the back of our worst season in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Why? Bigger than 20 of last seasons attendances and 2.5k bigger than last seasons opener.

And off the back of our worst season in 20 years.
    It was a poor crowd

Oh rather it was what in reality is our level

More people interested in supporting Liverpool from their armchair in South Wales than watching ccfc

If we were pushing for promotion we would get better gates but we simply can't compete with big clubs at this level

It's really sad 😔

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It was a poor crowd

More people interested in supporting Liverpool from their armchair in South Wales than watching ccfc

If we were pushing for promotion we would get better gates but we simply can't compete with big clubs at this level

It's really sad ��
    Last season we finished 38th of all 92 league teams. Our average attendance was ranked 31st of all 92 teams.

It was a poor crowd

It's really sad 😔
    Why was it a poor crowd? What would you consider an ok crowd?

In Warnock’s promotion season we averaged 20k. This crowd was bigger than 15 of the 23 crowds when we got promotion that season.

It was a poor crowd

It's really sad ��
    We had the 9th highest average attendance in the division last season despite finishing 18th in our worst season in 20 years which saw us play several games with 5 centre backs on the pitch and regular thrashings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Last season we finished 38th of all 92 league teams. Our average attendance was ranked 31st of all 92 teams.
    Apologist

In Warnock’s promotion season we averaged 20k. This crowd was bigger than 15 of the 23 crowds when we got promotion that season.
    22 k or so

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We had the 9th highest average attendance in the division last season despite finishing 18th in our worst season in 20 years which saw us play several games with 5 centre backs on the pitch and regular thrashings
    Our crowds are not much better than Swansea City's

We should be doing a lot better than that

It's been like this as long as I have supported Cardiff City . We can pull big gates for the big games but we don't have a big fanbase on a regular basis

Our crowds are not much better than Swansea City's

We should be doing a lot better than that

It's been like this as long as I have supported Cardiff City . We can pull big gates for the big games but we don't have a big fanbase on a regular basis
    Be honest, unless we have sustained success in the top flight, we'll not build a big fanbase.

Look at all the teams that enjoy the biggest crowds. How many of them have had 2 seasons in the top division in 60 years?

Be honest, unless we have sustained success in the top flight, we'll not build a big fanbase.

Look at all the teams that enjoy the biggest crowds. How many of them have had 2 seasons in the top division in 60 years?
    Ipswich had 26000 yesterday

Ipswich is tiny

Ipswich had 26000 yesterday

Ipswich is tiny
    Ipswich has had FA cup success and been close to league success in the 80s. They were regulars in the early years of the Premier League. We were bouncing about the lower divisions.

Not much else goes on there. Same with Norwich.

Ipswich has had FA cup success and been close to league success in the 80s. They were regulars in the early years of the Premier League. We were bouncing about the lower divisions.

Not much else goes on there. Same with Norwich.
    Tractor racing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Tractor racing?
    Just behind inbreeding family of the year.

I've never understood why we don't have much bigger crowds with a catchment area like ours.

I think crowds in general are poor.

After the clamour for a real experience post Covid I though joe public would realise what they missed

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I've never understood why we don't have much bigger crowds with a catchment area like ours.
    We're a club whose crowds have fluctuated with the divisions. Since WWII our crowds in the top flight have been good. They've generally been good when we've been challenging for promotion to the top division. In the past when the club has been struggling in the second tier, crowds have often plummeted. This hasn't happened after last season and I'm confident we'd have 12k+ crowds if we ever dropped to league 1.

Southampton's crowd dropped by nearly a half from their PL norm when they were relegated to League 1. Leicester lost over 10k from their crowds when they were in League 1. Leeds crowd from their PL norm almost halved when being relegated to League 1.

I don't pay much attention to crowds from the late 70s to early 90s as the game suffered from poor crowds. Wolves lost 20k in a few seasons when they ended up in Division 4. That wouldn't happen now. Portsmouth had crowds in League 2 that were nearly double their 2nd division attendances in the 80s.

There aren't many examples of clubs who have consistently high attendances despite a relative lack of top tier football.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I think crowds in general are poor.

After the clamour for a real experience post Covid I though joe public would realise what they missed
    Was there? I know lots of people who were very cautious about going places post Covid. There is also the "stopped doing something and have found something else during lockdown" factor.

Was there? I know lots of people who were very cautious about going places post Covid. There is also the "stopped doing something and have found something else during lockdown" factor.
    You only had to look at the pubs post Covid to know the cautious we’re the minority in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    You only had to look at the pubs post Covid to know the cautious we’re the minority in my opinion
    I don't doubt that, but one look at our grandstand suggested some of our older supporters weren't keen to return.

Hope all were there ,great day ..

I'm sure if Bale had signed more folk would have got there .

Fickle

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Hope all were there ,great day ..

I'm sure if Bale had signed more folk would have got there .

Fickle
    Surely that's their prerogative?