+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best city game at CCS for a decade or so

Re: Best city game at CCS for a decade or so

Top marks to Wintle and Collins. Best performance I have seen from Harris. Allsop immense. Cedric was awesome.

Also enjoyed watching Cantwell, Pukki and Hanley for the visitors.

All in all a great game, despite the relative of goalmouth action.

Great atmosphere from both sets of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    Top marks to Wintle and Collins. Best performance I have seen from Harris. Allsop immense. Cedric was awesome.

Also enjoyed watching Cantwell, Pukki and Hanley for the visitors.

All in all a great game, despite the relative of goalmouth action.

Great atmosphere from both sets of fans.
    Couldn't hear much from the mustard munchers in the Canton....it was a bit noisy! Great day out. A few of Norwich's players in line for an oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That's a bit of a shit thing to say.
    Looked a shot to me, but the Norwich keeper was unsighted. Can’t see why he would pass to the corner of the net !

Quote Originally Posted by Parti Mellow View Post
    Dean Smith, Sale of the Century, Nicholas Parsons, Delia Smith, Coleman's Mustard..............
    .... and Liz Truss.

'Your boys took one hell of a beating!'

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    .... and Liz Truss.

'Your boys took one hell of a beating!'

Im not bothered but I really dont think that was a shot by Sawyers.

as far as im concerned all his passes can be goals

The title of this tread is ludicrously OTT. Yes it was a great day but let’s be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    The title of this tread is ludicrously OTT. Yes it was a great day but let’s be realistic.
    Let's be realistic Dave, on that performance we're Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    yes, clearly it was nowhere near the best performance by us in the last decade.
    However when you build in the excitement of not knowing how this new team would perform, the fear we could get tonked and then to witness a good performance and come away with a win it was certainly a good day

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    However when you build in the excitement of not knowing how this new team would perform, the fear we could get tonked and then to witness a good performance and come away with a win it was certainly a good day
    100% this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Exactly. Hence i didnt say it was best performance but for me for the reasons you mention it was the best game.

It was a really good day, especially under the circumstances, and there was a lot to like about City's performance. There are definitely grounds for optimism going forward, particularly if Morison can bring in a striker worthy of the description. But yesterday's game was better than the 3-2 victory over Manchester City in August 2013? Better than beating the Jacks 1-0 in the Premier League? Better than the 3-0 victory over Villa at the start of the 2017/18 campaign? Better than the 4-2 victory over Fulham in the top flight, to name but a few?

Behave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It was a really good day, especially under the circumstances, and there was a lot to like about City's performance. There are definitely grounds for optimism going forward, particularly if Morison can bring in a striker worthy of the description. But yesterday's game was better than the 3-2 victory over Manchester City in August 2013? Better than beating the Jacks 1-0 in the Premier League? Better than the 3-0 victory over Villa at the start of the 2017/18 campaign? Better than the 4-2 victory over Fulham in the top flight, to name but a few?

Behave.
    Add in the Aston Villa game, early season, under Warnock when we destroyed them, and the Leeds game a couple of months after the villa game.

I was just about to reply with the Villa game, also the opening game of the season and Mendez-Laing, Zohore and Hoilett ripped them apart with a superb attacking display which was thrilling to witness.

Much as yesterday was enjoyable we were totally toothless in attack, Watters looked completely out of his depth and not on the same wavelength as his teammates

Add in the Aston Villa game, early season, under Warnock when we destroyed them, and the Leeds game a couple of months after the villa game.
    That's the one I meant when I said: "Better than the 3-0 victory over Villa at the start of the 2017/18 campaign?"

As for Leeds, beating them at the CCS is standard.

That's the one I meant when I said: "Better than the 3-0 victory over Villa at the start of the 2017/18 campaign?"

As for Leeds, beating them at the CCS is standard.

Oh yeah, i was speed reading I think that the OP is getting a little carried away, but i get his way of thinking. Yesterday was like being served up a morrisons ready meal curry after years of eating dry stale bread, and it was the 1st game of the season. It goes to show how poor the standard of play had become, more than anything else.

Oh yeah, i was speed reading I think that the OP is getting a little carried away, but i get his way of thinking. Yesterday was like being served up a morrisons ready meal curry after years of eating dry stale bread, and it was the 1st game of the season. It goes to show how poor the standard of play had become, more than anything else.
    That Villa game is my all time favourite. Loved that game. John Terry ripping his shirt off in anger as he left the park. Sun shining. Unicorns. Free pots of gold under every rainbow flag. The orchestra. Choir. Even Bartley Bluebird celebrating with the players. I kid you not.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    That Villa game is my all time favourite. Loved that game. John Terry ripping his shirt off in anger as he left the park. Sun shining. Unicorns. Free pots of gold under every rainbow flag. The orchestra. Choir. Even Bartley Bluebird celebrating with the players. I kid you not.
    It was a perfect day.

It goes to show how poor the standard of play had become, more than anything else.
    Although City look really weak in the final third, the defending was pretty decent and the ball retention was much better throughout the side. Also, the pace of the play was much improved, nowhere near as ponderous as recent seasons. And there was a good deal of commitment on display. All of the new signings looked eager to impress.

I'm not sure about Norwich this season, though. Earlier in this thread, Monkfish described them as having a Premier League squad of players. I don't think they have anything of the sort. They finished rock bottom of the top flight last season, sixteen points behind the team who finished fourth bottom. Pukki is another year older and they don't have Buendia, who was superb for them when they were last at this level. They'll probably be in and around the play-offs, but I'll be surprised if they are automatic promotion candidates this time around.

Although City look really weak in the final third, the defending was pretty decent and the ball retention was much better throughout the side. Also, the pace of the play was much improved, nowhere near as ponderous as recent seasons. And there was a good deal of commitment on display. All of the new signings looked eager to impress.

I'm not sure about Norwich this season, though. Earlier in this thread, Monkfish described them as having a Premier League squad of players. I don't think they have anything of the sort. They finished rock bottom of the top flight last season, sixteen points behind the team who finished fourth bottom. Pukki is another year older and they don't have Buendia, who was superb for them when they were last at this level. They'll probably be in and around the play-offs, but I'll be surprised if they are automatic promotion candidates this time around.
    I didn't think that Norwich were that good the year they won the championship, and the way that we lost to them at carrow rd pissed me off.

Yes that was my point. In isolation it wasn't that great and of course there have been better games (although even those trying to pick holes cant think of many considering they have a decade including 2 premier league seasons and 2 promotions to pick from!!)

But considering the new signings and new style of play etc etc etc it was right up there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Yes that was my point. In isolation it wasn't that great and of course there have been better games (although even those trying to pick holes cant think of many considering they have a decade including 2 premier league seasons and 2 promotions to pick from!!)

But considering the new signings and new style of play etc etc etc it was right up there for me.
    Fair enough

For me it was the going into the unknown and being completely surprised, surprised in a very good way. So glad that it was Norwich, a newly relegated side, that we played. Of course it’s early days and we have to be cautious but if it had been against the likes of Rotherham, Reading, Birmingham etc it may have led to some fans coming out with ‘Ok, good display but wait until we play the likes of Norwich’. All in all a great afternoon’s work

It was a perfect day.
    It was indeed.