+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best city game at CCS for a decade or so

Re: Best city game at CCS for a decade or so

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    That Villa game is my all time favourite. Loved that game. John Terry ripping his shirt off in anger as he left the park. Sun shining. Unicorns. Free pots of gold under every rainbow flag. The orchestra. Choir. Even Bartley Bluebird celebrating with the players. I kid you not.
    I think it's unfair to tag all our football over the past decade as lacking flair and excitement - this game is a case in point. Our promotion season under Warnock wasn't bad - the problem really set in after relegation. For two and a half seasons we really did get dull football and mostly players who could best be described as 'workmanlike'. I suppose it's bit like folk after the war tasting their 1st banana for 6 years !!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I didn't think that Norwich were that good the year they won the championship, and the way that we lost to them at carrow rd pissed me off.
    Norwich’s record in the last two seasons they’ve been in the Premier League has been pathetic - far worse than ours in the two seasons we were there - I don’t think Farke got the credit he deserved in 20/21 for getting a squad which had a very good goal scorer, probably the best player in the division that season and an excellent right back, but not too much else that was of title winning standard to win the title by quite a large margin.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think it's unfair to tag all our football over the past decade as lacking flair and excitement - this game is a case in point. Our promotion season under Warnock wasn't bad - the problem really set in after relegation. For two and a half seasons we really did get dull football and mostly players who could best be described as 'workmanlike'. I suppose it's bit like folk after the war tasting their 1st banana for 6 years !!
    The second half of the promotion season was a lot about grinding results out and I think it was character more than anything else which kept us above Fulham, but we played a lot of good stuff before that - Sheffield United, Villa, Wolves, Leeds, Brentford and Norwich were all very good performances in the first half of 17/18.

Oh and more robust challenges and fights, will keep the crowd begging for more, loved the fact once someone lost the ball the Norwich player had 3 City players quickly on him , that what fitness and strength brings , and our new fitness man will bring that to the fore

Result-wise the best game at CCS for me has to be the 3-2 against Citeh.

Performance-wise stroke excitement-wise the 3 nil against Villa.

Quite excited by what I saw yesterday mind though we really could do with a striker, goalscorer cum poacher type.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    As Tuerto said, the Leeds game shortly after was a corker too. Big crowd, big Leeds support. It was rocking. I like the 1st banana in 6 years analogy. Better than the powdered egg and chicory coffee of last season.

Before the match started I didn't speak to a single person who thought we had a chance. New players hardly anyone had heard of, a completely new team against a side that played in the Premier League last season. How could our bunch of supposed misfits put in any kind of performance? The game was so good because everyone's expectations were so low. Instead we had a few unexpectedly good performances. A ball playing centre half - when did we last have one of these? A goalkeeper who dominated his area - a rarity indeed and a player in Collins who had the audacity to beat his man. Who'd of thunk it. All in all an enjoyable and surprisingly good day out that will live in the memory - more for the surprise element than anything else. But the crowd went home happy and that's a first given the garbage experienced in recent seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Before the match started I didn't speak to a single person who thought we had a chance. New players hardly anyone had heard of, a completely new team against a side that played in the Premier League last season. How could our bunch of supposed misfits put in any kind of performance? The game was so good because everyone's expectations were so low. Instead we had a few unexpectedly good performances. A ball playing centre half - when did we last have one of these? A goalkeeper who dominated his area - a rarity indeed and a player in Collins who had the audacity to beat his man. Who'd of thunk it. All in all an enjoyable and surprisingly good day out that will live in the memory - more for the surprise element than anything else. But the crowd went home happy and that's a first given the garbage experienced in recent seasons.
    Top post!

Quite entertaining read now!

If only I had known our season peaked on day 1!

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Quite entertaining read now!
    21st v 12th as things stand.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    21st v 12th as things stand.
    You called Norwich out, fair play to you

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You called Norwich out, fair play to you
    He did. However even in 12th they are the 2nd best team we beat at home all season (mighty Blackburn in 9th being our big scalp)

Oh look…it’s the last time I was happy.

Looking back the challenges in the final third and lack of cutting edge were obvious even then, but after this game I thought we’d be easily mid table with a chance of sniffing the playoffs. We played some really nice stuff against a team who were supposed to be one of the favorites. The false optimism of being a football fan.