+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Andy Carroll?

Re: Andy Carroll?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That would depend on a lot of factors including wages, length and terms of contract and, perhaps most importantly, whether or not there are other signings that are genuinely in the pipeline.

Personally, I'll be amazed if either Watters or Harris ever prove to be good enough for this division. Their Championship stats are:

Harris - 24 (+29) appearances, 6 goals

Watters - 7 (+5) appearances, 1 goal

Carroll's Championship stats last season were:

17 (+6) appearances, 5 goals

And we know he's far more of a handful for defenders than either Watters or Harris. The former looked like a fish out of water on Saturday. Frankly, he was effectively useless. Is he likely to improve significantly on what we've seen from him so far? It would be good if he could, but I doubt it.
    The unfortunate truth that a lot of City fans seem loathed to admit; well put TLG.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin'sReversibleHat View Post
    The unfortunate truth that a lot of City fans seem loathed to admit; well put TLG.
    I've read this thread and not sure anyone sensible is advocating Harris and Watters as the answer or saying they are better than Carroll.

How anyone can write off and insult a young player after only 7 (+5) Championship appearances is beyond me. Plus the whole team deserve praise for the performance last Saturday, including Watters. They all put in a shift and neutralised a midfield and attack that is supposed to be the best in the Championship. Watters had little or no service up front anyway but thats hardly surprising bearing in mind the amount of work the whole team had to do to control what Norwich did. But what do we get - the usual suspects nit picking, moaning, insulting and making out they know better than the manager and other staff. We won the game when most people said we would lose heavily.

I note that Watters was hooked after just 52 minutes yesterday. It was 60 minutes last week. Don’t anyone dare suggest he’s not good enough, though.

I note that Watters was hooked after just 52 minutes yesterday. It was 60 minutes last week. Don’t anyone dare suggest he’s not good enough, though.
    It appears to be be he is now the latest scapegoat. In all fairness to the guy Harry Houdini could be up front and not do any better, service and support to whoever is supposed to be leading the line is pretty abysmal.
    Watters up front,Nelson in defence, they are the targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    It appears to be be he is now the latest scapegoat. In all fairness to the guy Harry Houdini could be up front and not do any better, service and support to whoever is supposed to be leading the line is pretty abysmal.
    Watters up front,Nelson in defence, they are the targets.
    No they are not good enough.

Stats from last season:

Percentage of shots on target:

Uche Ikpeazu 72.7%
    Max Watters 66.7%
    Isaak Davies 55.0%
    Kieffer Moore 42.6%
    Mark Harris 34.8%
    Rubin Colwill 32.3%
    Jordan Hugill 29.7%
    Andy Carroll 26.7%

Minutes per attempt on goal:

Uche Ikpeazu 22
    Kieffer Moore 32
    Max Watters 37
    Jordan Hugill 38
    Andy Carroll 39
    Rubin Colwill 54
    Isaak Davies 60
    Mark Harris 67

Minutes per attempt on target:

Uche Ikpeazu 30
    Max Watters 55
    Kieffer Moore 75
    Isaak Davies 109
    Jordan Hugill 129
    Andy Carroll 148
    Rubin Colwill 166
    Mark Harris 193

So far this season we've had 9 attempts on goal. O'Dowda and Ojo lead the way with 3 attempts each (O'Dowda 2 on target, Ojo 1 on target). Sawyers has managed the other attempt on target, while Harris and Kipre have both managed 1 off target attempt each. 5 attempts have been from open play (Ojo 3, Harris and Sawyers 1), 3 from set pieces (O'Dowda 2, Kipre 1). O'Dowda's other attempt came from a counter attack.

Uche Uche Uche

Uche's coming home!

Three I forgot to add....

Minutes per goal:

Uche Ikpeazu 80
    Andy Carroll 296
    Kieffer Moore 300
    Max Watters 329
    Rubin Colwill 332
    Jordan Hugill 355
    Isaak Davies 399
    Mark Harris 514

Attempts per goal:

Uche Ikpeazu 3.67
    Rubin Colwill 6.2
    Isaak Davies 6.67
    Andy Carroll 7.5
    Mark Harris 7.67
    Max Watters 9
    Jordan Hugill 9.25
    Kieffer Moore 9.4

Attempts on target per goal:

Andy Carroll 2
    Rubin Colwill 2
    Uche Ikpeazu 2.67
    Mark Harris 2.67
    Jordan Hugill 2.75
    Isaak Davies 3.67
    Kieffer Moore 4
    Max Watters 6

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    It appears to be he is now the latest scapegoat.
    In two games this season, Watters has done next to nothing before being taken off relatively early by his manager. Nobody is making him a scapegoat. Based on his competitive appearances for the club so far, he simply doesn't look up to Championship football. It's no more complicated than that.

Watters has started eight games for Cardiff City. He's been taken off in every one of them and the latest he's been subbed is 66 minutes. He's been taken off on 55 mins, 57 mins, 56 mins, 37 mins, 66 mins, 63 mins, 60 mins and 52 mins. He hasn't scored in any of the eight games he's started.

In two games this season, Watters has done next to nothing before being taken off relatively early by his manager. Nobody is making him a scapegoat. Based on his competitive appearances for the club so far, he simply doesn't look up to Championship football. It's no more complicated than that.

Watters has started eight games for Cardiff City. He's been taken off in every one of them and the latest he's been subbed is 66 minutes. He's been taken off on 55 mins, 57 mins, 56 mins, 37 mins, 66 mins, 63 mins, 60 mins and 52 mins. He hasn't scored in any of the eight games he's started.
    I haven't got the stats to hand, but I think Davies, Colwill and Harris are also more prolific as subs than they are when they start.

This speaks volumes.

probably because he's been taken off

I was rooting for Watters but he's not even getting himself into good positions. I was watching him closely.

He should have been licking his chops against a makeshift Reading defence. But then that would have involved moving.

Etete got more involved in his 15 mins than Watters did in his 60. And that's not a one off. It was Harris the game before that.

The need for another striker is crystal clear, Watters and Harris are not up to the job in the Championship, along with Whyte and Nelson we still have players that need to he moved on

International

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    I was rooting for Watters but he's not even getting himself into good positions. I was watching him closely.

He should have been licking his chops against a makeshift Reading defence. But then that would have involved moving.

Etete got more involved in his 15 mins than Watters did in his 60. And that's not a one off. It was Harris the game before that.
    I thought this would be it, Etete breathing down his neck, this week he will havre trained hard, listened to Morison and be playing on the shoulder of the last defender, just waiting for his chance. He wasn't he just ran around in the wrong positions again, sell him or give him away now he's a 1st or 2nd division striker, put him out of his misery!

We need another Striker and can have Harris as back up.

This says it all- basically he is completely unable to impose himself on games at this level. To those still defending him- what has he done to earn more patience from us? Absolutely naff all. Again, looked like he couldn't even be arsed on the weekend. His attitude, coupled with the atmosphere towards it if he keeps it up, will soon turn toxic.