Mark Harris (Watters 60) 7
    Curtis Nelson (Ojo 74) 7
    Gavin Whyte (O'Dowda 81) NA
    Tom Sang (Rinomhota 81) NA

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...tings-24629588

Personally I think some are 1 too high and Whyte should have had a 4

Great win

Re: Player ratings according to WOL

I thought Allsop played very well, made a great save, safe hands but when we stopped playing from the back his kicking was pretty poor.

No way was O'Dowda worth an 8.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I thought Allsop played very well, made a great save, safe hands but when we stopped playing from the back his kicking was pretty poor.

I thought O'Dowda was excellent. My MOM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post

These 2 things are connected.

Allsop’s kicks were finding O’ Dowda out on the touch line.

When O’Dowda went off, Allsop’s kicks we’re going straight into touch

Kipre was very impressive as was Collins, but for me, Wintle was MOM

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    I thought he played really well and his cut inside set up Sawyers shot didn’t it? His off the ball work was good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

O'Dowda was impressive as far as I'm concerned but Allsopp, who was excellent defensively, was poor with his kicking. Plenty of time to improve.

O’Dowda and Romeo were two signings I wasn’t fussed on and didn’t see much in preseason to change my mind.

Thought both were great yesterday.

(also completely agree that a few of those ratings need to come down a point)

Don't like singling one player out, but, for me, Ojo was the same frustrating mix he was two seasons ago - some good stuff, but a lot of cheap concessions of possession in a team which appears to value that commodity so much higher than previous ones did.

I'll give Ojo come company by saying that Whyte almost cost us twice in a few seconds late on with the sort of skill levels associated with our teams from recent seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Don't like singling one player out, but, for me, Ojo was the same frustrating mix he was two seasons ago - some good stuff, but a lot of cheap concessions of possession in a team which appears to value that commodity so much higher than previous ones did.

I'll give Ojo come company by saying that Whyte almost cost us twice in a few seconds late on with the sort of skill levels associated with our teams from recent seasons.
    I know what you're saying ToBW but I liked that Ojo was trying stuff at the top end of the pitch. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. It felt more like creative risks worth taking than now-they-have-the-ball-and-are-gonna-score. That's probably because I like this midfield a lot more. I never felt in danger when Ojo lost the ball.

Whyte on the other hand...

I was happy to see him given a chance in a big spot after a decent-ish preseason. Five minutes later I was wondering why it wasn't Tanner instead.

Surprised to see Whyte on the bench let alone the pitch. He’s still the player of two seasons ago with limited end product and limited passing. He panics and just hoofs

One thing I think I noticed about a couple of our players….

I thought a few of times our players got caught out waiting for the ball to come to them and it getting intercepted - a typical left over from a low quality pre season so hopefully there is more ability to keep the ball as they progress, in which case whyte will stand out more

Watters was as frustrating as ever. No matter what style we play - it doesn’t seem to suit him. Yes he was isolated but he made runs to the wrong side of defenders, runs into dead ends and seemed to hate playing with his back to goal. Roll on a striker or two

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Surprised to see Whyte on the bench let alone the pitch. He’s still the player of two seasons ago with limited end product and limited passing. He panics and just hoofs
    He didn't do this AT ALL in preseason

Very poetic, TOBW

There were 3 or 4 players that would have a shout for MOTM, I was impressed by Collins making his debut let's hope it's a sign of things to come.
    Ojo was frustrating but when he lost the ball it didn't put us under pressure.
    Watters playing the lone striker role is a difficult one, it's a tough ask but theres lots for him to work on if he's going to be successful in this formation.
    Harris at least looked lively when he came on, but I don't either of them are the real answer.
    The Mark's might be a little high, but overall it was a very good game to watch in comparison to some of the real dross we endured over the last couple of years

The most telling marks WOL for any game are the extremes. Otherwise it's pretty predictable.
    If we win then everyone seems to start with an 8, with a couple given a 9 and a couple a mark or 2 lower.
    If it's a draw then players start with a 7, and if we lose they might give 1 or 2 7's if we're lucky.

Would have been nice to see Tanner come on, but that was never going to happen once we went down to ten men.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The most telling marks WOL for any game are the extremes. Otherwise it's pretty predictable.
    If we win then everyone seems to start with an 8, with a couple given a 9 and a couple a mark or 2 lower.
    If it's a draw then players start with a 7, and if we lose they might give 1 or 2 7's if we're lucky.
    Agreed.

I agree. The numbers never matter but the 4 outstanding players all get the 9s which is fair.

I get why Ojo frustrates people at times but we need a player that’s willing to try things. I thought it was one of, if not his best game for us.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

I have a theory that Allsop meant to kick for touch in the last few minutes.

It takes more time to take a throw-in and build incisive possession against a 'set' defence than it would if the ball had been kicked long straight into Norwich's possession.

As confidence improves, Allsop and his 4 man defence may choose to pass the ball around in their area rather than opt for the long kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Madlock View Post
    Kipre was very impressive as was Collins, but for me, Wintle was MOM
    Agreed. Watching yesterday he would have made a better captain than Ralls.
    When Ralls came on he was way off the pace, hesitant, and couldn’t seem to read the game.
    Surprised when I heard he was on the bench but perhaps could better understand when he came on

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post

It takes more time to take a throw-in and build incisive possession against a 'set' defence than it would if the ball had been kicked long straight into Norwich's possession.

As confidence improves, Allsop and his 4 man defence may choose to pass the ball around in their area rather than opt for the long kick.
    Was thinking the same thing!

If I was to criticise I thought all of our midfield players fought hard to win the ball but were all guilty of losing possession again after 2-3 exchanges.
    Maybe that will improve as we play more games ?
    Kip re was outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post

True. But he started doing it way before that.