+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawyers “passes” City to a memorable opening day victory.

Sawyers “passes” City to a memorable opening day victory.

Short on goal attempts, but still so good to see City playing football as they edge out careless Norwich.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Sawyers “passes” City to a memorable opening day victory.

It was nice to see a City side with a bit of the 'dog' about them. Norwich are obviously used to PL refereeing, and when an early 'challenge' on Max Aaron went unpunished I felt City took every opportunity to have nibble at a Norwich player. We're now going to be moving the ball much quicker and anyone who still thought either Harris or Watters could be effective in this team, must surely realize after yesterday they're not.
    Until we bring in a couple of strikers with pace and good feet, I'd leave both of them out and play without an out-and-out striker.

I think Norwich's yo-yoing will end this year as I don't think Pukki will be as effective although I thought some of their better attacking players were on the bench.

For us it was a positive start for the new style and three quarters of the team is sorted. We just need to improve in the final third and I think some of that will naturally occur from playing together more but also by playing against less organised sides.

Good write-up as usual Bob.

I did think Dean Smith had been at the crack pipe when he said that was a mishit pass. Bit of luck with the slight deflection, yes, but if that was deemed a pass Smith must really like his players to fizz it in.

Even against a good Norwich defence, Watters really disappointed me yesterday. I want him to do well because it seems as though he does have some useful attributes, but he just seems so much like a passenger. Reactive, rather than proactive. There was one instance where Collins got to the byline and pulled a great ball back to the penalty spot; there was yards of space there and exactly where any striker worth his salt would have made a run to. Watters didn't even make a run at all.

He seems far too nice, as well. He needs to be a lot more physical and be more of a pest. Size isn't an excuse; Isaak Davies is a good example of a small player who puts himself about and battles, which is an absolute minimum for a striker in this league.

I think everyone agrees that we need 2 strikers in, but until that happens I'd go with Harris over Watters. Again, his impact is limited, but he offers far more than Watters for me.

One other thing that I would say needs to improve is 1 (or 2) of the central midfielders getting into the box more (which, to be fair, is something Morison apparently raised at HT). We've got 2 wingers and 2 full backs who are more than willing to get beyond and whip crosses in, but it's pointless if the only target in the box is a static Watters.

I'll temper all that though by saying that it's still very early days and there's a hell of a lot to like about this new approach. I think we also have to consider the quality of opposition. Yes, we didn't create much, but neither did they. And when you consider the attacking threats in their team, that's encouraging, as a solid defensive shape is always a good platform to build on. Also, consider that we've still got Colwill and Davies to return, Philogene seems to be highly rated, and those 2 strikers are supposedly coming in. I'm definitely happy.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    Good write-up as usual Bob.

I did think Dean Smith had been at the crack pipe when he said that was a mishit pass. Bit of luck with the slight deflection, yes, but if that was deemed a pass Smith must really like his players to fizz it in.

Even against a good Norwich defence, Watters really disappointed me yesterday. I want him to do well because it seems as though he does have some useful attributes, but he just seems so much like a passenger. Reactive, rather than proactive. There was one instance where Collins got to the byline and pulled a great ball back to the penalty spot; there was yards of space there and exactly where any striker worth his salt would have made a run to. Watters didn't even make a run at all.

He seems far too nice, as well. He needs to be a lot more physical and be more of a pest. Size isn't an excuse; Isaak Davies is a good example of a small player who puts himself about and battles, which is an absolute minimum for a striker in this league.

I think everyone agrees that we need 2 strikers in, but until that happens I'd go with Harris over Watters. Again, his impact is limited, but he offers far more than Watters for me.

One other thing that I would say needs to improve is 1 (or 2) of the central midfielders getting into the box more (which, to be fair, is something Morison apparently raised at HT). We've got 2 wingers and 2 full backs who are more than willing to get beyond and whip crosses in, but it's pointless if the only target in the box is a static Watters.

I'll temper all that though by saying that it's still very early days and there's a hell of a lot to like about this new approach. I think we also have to consider the quality of opposition. Yes, we didn't create much, but neither did they. And when you consider the attacking threats in their team, that's encouraging, as a solid defensive shape is always a good platform to build on. Also, consider that we've still got Colwill and Davies to return, Philogene seems to be highly rated, and those 2 strikers are supposedly coming in. I'm definitely happy.
    Important that we got something out of yesterday. The team are going to need patience from the stands at least for the first few months whilst they bed in, so this result buys us a bit of time..

Hopefully the fans will be back in numbers for the Birmingham game in 2 weeks as they and Reading ( next weeks opponents) are 2 sides we should be looking to finish in front of and will provide a very different test to Norwich who looked a shadow of the team that dominated against us 2 seasons ago.

Anyone also think our players looked sharper than theirs ? Quicker to the 2nd ball..

Although their press was far far better than ours. Our front 3 looked disjointed and Norwich walked out of defence far to easily . Watters appeared to be calling the others forward, but by the time they got organised Norwich had played the ball out

Morning Bob, a good read as always. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It was nice to see a City side with a bit of the 'dog' about them. Norwich are obviously used to PL refereeing, and when an early 'challenge' on Max Aaron went unpunished I felt City took every opportunity to have nibble at a Norwich player. We're now going to be moving the ball much quicker and anyone who still thought either Harris or Watters could be effective in this team, must surely realize after yesterday they're not.
    Until we bring in a couple of strikers with pace and good feet, I'd leave both of them out and play without an out-and-out striker.
    Yes,watching us yesterday you can see that a big striker like Kiefer would be a huge mistake and would start to question our current style. We need a fast player who can use both feet (for free ��)

Hopefully Watters improves in terms of the system. We have 6 league games before the window closes, we may not get anyone in until then.
    With any luck, we'll find a way to make it work up front a little better before then.

Is Pukki known for having a bit of a short temper? Seems like someone in the coaching staff thought it was worth telling our players to wind him up at any opportunity. He got a fair few niggly fouls, shoves and (I’m guessing) things said to him which worked in riling him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Is Pukki known for having a bit of a short temper? Seems like someone in the coaching staff thought it was worth telling our players to wind him up at any opportunity. He got a fair few niggly fouls, shoves and (I’m guessing) things said to him which worked in riling him up.
    He's never been sent off, so I don't think so. Doesn't seem the short-tempered type at all. Always looks pretty laid back to me, but the City players were definitely having a chip at him yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Short on goal attempts, but still so good to see City playing football as they edge out careless Norwich.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Another season where I can't get to games.

However watching Jeff Stelling's program on Sky as usual, Lee Hendrie who was watching our game, seemed quite favourably impressed and according to him in the first half we started well, let Norwich get into it a bit when Allsopp made that good save, but the impression he gave was that we were the better side for the rest of the half (or certainly equal) whereas Dean Smith said Norwich were in control for 30 minutes of the half.

Which is right? Mind you should we give any credence to a man who suggested that Sawyers goal was meant to be a pass!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    He's never been sent off, so I don't think so. Doesn't seem the short-tempered type at all. Always looks pretty laid back to me, but the City players were definitely having a chip at him yesterday.
    Might have been down to his propensity to go down so easily and also to push others. Probably wound our players up to the point that they targeted him.

Thought he was really poor and more interested in confrontation & trying to get free kicks and bookings than scoring goals.

So maybe it worked !

This. It was definitely in the game plan. Not complaining. Good to see imo. We were no angels yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    This. It was definitely in the game plan. Not complaining. Good to see imo. We were no angels yesterday.
    Classic bit of shithousery by Ng that brought on the scuffle - a nasty little nibble at Pukki for no apparent reason, and then he goes down clutching his face when he was shoved in the chest. If that had been Cantwell, people would be calling for a five game ban. It added to the atmosphere, that's for sure.

His sending off really annoyed me, though. Three minutes after being booked, he decides to pull an opponent's shirt while he's about two yards away from the linesman and three yards away from the ref. I guess it means Nelson will play alongside the impressive Kipre at Reading, and let's be honest - the prospect of Nelson trying to play passes out from the back doesn't inspire confidence.

Classic bit of shithousery by Ng that brought on the scuffle - a nasty little nibble at Pukki for no apparent reason, and then he goes down clutching his face when he was shoved in the chest. If that had been Cantwell, people would be calling for a five game ban. It added to the atmosphere, that's for sure.

His sending off really annoyed me, though. Three minutes after being booked, he decides to pull an opponent's shirt while he's about two yards away from the linesman and three yards away from the ref. I guess it means Nelson will play alongside the impressive Kipre at Reading, and let's be honest - the prospect of Nelson trying to play passes out from the back doesn't inspire confidence.
    I think there was a reason for the initial nibble at Pukki. Pukki was going after Ralls , Ng stepped into him.

The rest I agree with particularly the face clutching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think there was a reason for the initial nibble at Pukki. Pukki was going after Ralls , Ng stepped into him.
    You're right, I've just watched the replay. Ng was perhaps lucky not to be sent off for that, we've seen players get sent off for less, but the melee that followed probably removed that possibility.

The ref and the linesman weren't as close as I thought when he was sent off for the shirt pulling, either. It was still a stupid thing to do, though.

The selection that would be true to the new principles at the club would be Denham, pretty sure it will be Nelson though.

Totally agree about NG and I'm not at all confident in him. I hope he drops in the pecking order. I also hope you're wrong about Nelson; I can't really see why we need him this season given we've got McGuiness and Denham to play alongside Kipre.

On a totally different matter I'm hoping Whyte is either transferred or goes out on loan soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I got the distinct impression that City were up for it from the start. O'Dowda was saying something to Aarons early on in the game and gave him a push on the back. Aarons didn't like it ! There were games under Morison last season when we seemed to be getting into the other teams faces.

Anyone else had a look at Norwich’s forum? Jesus, you’d swear they were Man City and were kicked off the park by us, aided and abetted by compliant officials. Some posts referring to us a ‘very poor Millwall-like side’. Dear God, they’re very bitter with a ‘we’re so much better than anyone else in this division’ attitude.

I got the distinct impression that City were up for it from the start. O'Dowda was saying something to Aarons early on in the game and gave him a push on the back. Aarons didn't like it ! There were games under Morison last season when we seemed to be getting into the other teams faces.
    Good. I’m all for it to be honest. As cliche as it is, I like seeing some passion and the players definitely weren’t just playing for their pay yesterday. For so many new faces they seem to have bonded well as a group.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyone else had a look at Norwich’s forum? Jesus, you’d swear they were Man City and were kicked off the park by us, aided and abetted by compliant officials. Some posts referring to us a ‘very poor Millwall-like side’. Dear God, they’re very bitter with a ‘we’re so much better than anyone else in this division’ attitude.
    Funny isn’t it. I think it’s going to take a while for us to shed the long-ball clogger tags, even when the evidence is right in front of the supporters who attend that we’re trying to good football.

Definitely some needle from us yesterday, but Pukki in particular looked to go down at most opportunities. The one from NG that caused the melee was bad, though.

I’d like to see Denham partner Cipre, but think Morison may see that as too risky in terms of lack of Championship experience.

Barnsley away and to a lesser extent Birmingham away we’re good examples

all he's got to do is play It to kipre or Romeo though

if João is fot for reading then I wouldn't mind Nelson and Kipre at the back