+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone work with or supply concrete slabs?

Anyone work with or supply concrete slabs?

Need a 750mm x 600mm x 50mm slab fitted for a step.

I can't seem to find one locally online to buy. I'm sure there are builders yards who would have these in stock to collect.

International

Re: Anyone work with or supply concrete slabs?

A bog standard slab is 600x600. You might need to get a 600x900and cut it down to fit.

600 x 900 will be your closest, then just cut it, even if you do it yourself with a cheapo angle grinder ( £25 in screw fix ), take your time on the cut, plenty of water and take it nice and slow

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    A bog standard slab is 600x600. You might need to get a 600x900and cut it down to fit.

beat me too it

Travis Perkins sell them but say no stock in this area. And I have found a place in Swansea that say they sell them but they are closed today.

They are out there - This is what I want. https://www.bpsbuildit.co.uk/0001996.html

There must be a builders yard in Cardiff that sell these.

What about making a frame and pouring your own?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I wish to claim the most useless post of the day but did you know that a frame that you pour concrete in to is called shuttering. 😂

That's quite a heavy duty slab, the public don't really buy those, they're used more for public paving. Try leckwith concrete products, they cast all types of sizes, or Whitchurch building supplies, they have a large stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    That's not a bad shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    I wish to claim the most useless post of the day but did you know that a frame that you pour concrete in to is called shuttering. 😂
    I do now :)

For a tiny concrete slab? This ain't the Severn bridge!

Gryphonn concrete products Blackwell manufacture them give them a ring, they can let you know which of their customers stock them

I've just realised the pavement in my 'cul de sac' has the same slabs.

Either the original builders built the step using the same materials or the previous owners nicked a couple.

My builder has part done the job, putting down the brick base, but he's not come back to do the slab and he's stopped that line of work now.

I wish to claim the most useless post of the day but did you know that a frame that you pour concrete in to is called shuttering. ��
    I'd never heard of that. Would you believe I was in B&Q earlier and asked the guy in the building dept if they had such large slabs and while he said no he asked if we had considered building a shutter and filling it in with concrete ourselves. Coincidence or what.

I wish to claim the most useless post of the day but did you know that a frame that you pour concrete in to is called shuttering. ��
    When I used to be a Chippie, I built the shuttering for the city hall steps ( on the side of the building ) its of course hidden under nice stone steps, but the concrete was done by me

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    When I used to be a Chippie, I built the shuttering for the city hall steps ( on the side of the building ) its of course hidden under nice stone steps, but the concrete was done by me
    The contractor certainly got their pound of flesh out of you on that job!

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    How did you build it. I think that might be my way forward,

YouTube is your friend! There should be lots of videos showing how to shutter, prepare the base, and mix the concrete for a simple step.

If it's a step, then fix a bit of batten on the face of the step, the riser bit, and drop it down to the thickness required. Do the same on the sides if the step has a fall off. Buy a bit of ply, 10mm and cut down strips at required thickness of concrete, and fix to face of batten. Silicone any gaps where the batten and ply meet as water will flow out onto the paving below. Just get on YouTube Mike, it's a piece of piss.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I've just realised the pavement in my 'cul de sac' has the same slabs.

Either the original builders built the step using the same materials or the previous owners nicked a couple.

My builder has part done the job, putting down the brick base, but he's not come back to do the slab and he's stopped that line of work now.
    can you nick one of the ones from the pavement, and then ring the council to come and replace it

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If it's a step, then fix a bit of batten on the face of the step, the riser bit, and drop it down to the thickness required. Do the same on the sides if the step has a fall off. Buy a bit of ply, 10mm and cut down strips at required thickness of concrete, and fix to face of batten. Silicone any gaps where the batten and ply meet as water will flow out onto the paving below. Just get on YouTube Mike, it's a piece of piss.
    it is to those who are that way inclined. I'm going to go and get some ply and some quick drying cement and have a go. It's only a depth of 50mm I need to fill.

it is to those who are that way inclined. I'm going to go and get some ply and some quick drying cement and have a go. It's only a depth of 50mm I need to fill.
    That's the hammer.concrete you want though Mike.

Get some ready-mix concrete, not cement.

Sorry, yes it is concrete

Mike, jewson stock 900x600 x50 mm concrete slabs. You would just have to get 150mm cut off it.