+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone work with or supply concrete slabs?

Re: Anyone work with or supply concrete slabs?

£9.50 each plus vat, Tyndall at jewson, 56 in stock. I've got a disc cutter if you want it cut down.

I used to make up custom shaped slabs off site, personally, if the slab is liftable with 2 people, imho its easier

Piece of board ( we used to keep the old melamine kitchen cupboard shelves to use ) timber around the edge the depth you want the slab

paint the inside of the board and timber edge ( so its nice a smooth ) you could just oil it

then pour the concrete into the mold , fill to brim, force into edges, tamp down with a piece of timber, tap the edges to get rid of any air bubbles

the face next to the board would be the top face

though you could smooth the top of the mold ( bring up the " fat " of the concrete ) and that could be the top, you could add colours or sparkle to create a bit of a effect that way

then wait for a week, then tap the mold sides off and slide of board, then lift into place

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I used to make up custom shaped slabs off site, personally, if the slab is liftable with 2 people, imho its easier

Piece of board ( we used to keep the old melamine kitchen cupboard shelves to use ) timber around the edge the depth you want the slab

paint the inside of the board and timber edge ( so its nice a smooth ) you could just oil it

then pour the concrete into the mold , fill to brim, force into edges, tamp down with a piece of timber, tap the edges to get rid of any air bubbles

the face next to the board would be the top face

though you could smooth the top of the mold ( bring up the " fat " of the concrete ) and that could be the top, you could add colours or sparkle to create a bit of a effect that way

then wait for a week, then tap the mold sides off and slide of board, then lift into place
    I've used butter to grease up the shuttering.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Is that you, Marlon Brando?

a guy I knew swore by Veg oil, used to be cheap at the time

Well, here is my concrete journey.

This was my starting point. I was looking for a slab to lay on the brick base but that was a tall order

20220801_164439691_iOS_800x450.jpg

So I followed advice on here to create a 'shuttering'

20220801_170306175_iOS_800x450.jpg

And I filled it with Blue Circle quick setting concrete

20220801_172817396_iOS_800x450.jpg

Then I made an extra step with some 40 x 40cm patio slabs

20220804_162657589_iOS_800x450.jpg

Then we went for artificial grass to cover the construction. Here I cut and prepare

20220807_104421245_iOS_800x450.jpg

20220807_164028592_iOS_800x450.jpg

And the final result

20220807_193506806_iOS_800x450.jpg

funny enough I removed the shuttering for my slab pour ( which was last Saturday ) when I got back from taking my mum back home to Wales, I was thinking I wonder how your slab went

you will be starting up your own handyman business soon

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Well, here is my concrete journey.

This was my starting point. I was looking for a slab to lay on the brick base but that was a tall order

20220801_164439691_iOS_800x450.jpg

So I followed advice on here to create a 'shuttering'

20220801_170306175_iOS_800x450.jpg

And I filled it with Blue Circle quick setting concrete

20220801_172817396_iOS_800x450.jpg

Then I made an extra step with some 40 x 40cm patio slabs

20220804_162657589_iOS_800x450.jpg

Then we went for artificial grass to cover the construction. Here I cut and prepare

20220807_104421245_iOS_800x450.jpg

20220807_164028592_iOS_800x450.jpg

And the final result

20220807_193506806_iOS_800x450.jpg
    Go on Mike, great job! How much is your day rate?

Go on Mike, great job! How much is your day rate?
    That was enough for me. I've retired from the concrete game (until Mrs M finds something else for me to have a go at).

Thanks for the tips.

That was enough for me. I've retired from the concrete game (until Mrs M finds something else for me to have a go at).

Thanks for the tips.

now this is disappointing

I was going to suggest you made concrete " CCMB awards " for the end of the season, I was so very confident ( and Ive message my fans on here to confirm it ) I would win " the internets best moderator " award that ive cleared a space on my trophy shelf for it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    now this is disappointing

I was going to suggest you made concrete " CCMB awards " for the end of the season, I was so very confident ( and Ive message my fans on here to confirm it ) I would win " the internets best moderator " award that ive cleared a space on my trophy shelf for it
    Your shelf would have to be well fitted as I go big with my concrete mixes. The step I made isn't going anywhere soon

Your shelf would have to be well fitted as I go big with my concrete mixes. The step I made isn't going anywhere soon
    One Step Beyond.............its Madness that you’re now a concrete finisher!