+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ryan Allsop - Goalie Wen

Ryan Allsop - Goalie Wen

Anyone else think some of his positioning yesterday, when play was in the other half is an accident waiting to happen ?
    Last edited by Peajay; 31-07-22 at 13:16. Reason: Beef Burger

Re: Ryan Allsop - Goalie Wen

Nope. Very happy he's our goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Anyone else think some of his positioning yesterday, when play was in the other half is an accident waiting to happen ?
    Didn't notice that, but I did think he looked more comfortable with crosses than any other recent City goalkeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    Nope. Very happy he's our goalie.
    Me too, just had visions of this, if possession was stolen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3IeDoUuy98

I didn't particularly notice this yesterday, and thought it was a great debut. However when he was at CCFC with Derby last year I remember thinking that he was so far out of his area that he was an accident waiting to happen.

Krul was also way out of his goal at times yesterday.

When one of the poor Norwich Free Kicks was grabbed by Allsop he could have shot as Krul was still on half way.

I do think we'll be caught out a few times this season playing out from the back although Allsop may not be guilty of the dodgy pass.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Didn't notice that, but I did think he looked more comfortable with crosses than any other recent City goalkeeper.
    The one-handed take was a joy to watch. Thought he had a great debut and very fetching in the new strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    The one-handed take was a joy to watch. Thought he had a great debut and very fetching in the new strip.
    He looks a footballer, as well as a goalkeeper. That's how it's going now, keepers need a decent touch and good awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He looks a footballer, as well as a goalkeeper. That's how it's going now, keepers need a decent touch and good awareness.
    I thought he was better all round than the Norwich keeper. Though, I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Norwich keeper's throw in and link up with his CB which you don't see very often (if ever?).

When he pulled of that good save from ‘scruffy haircut’ guy, I was thinking… “I wonder if it would have been a more comfortable save if he wasn’t initially so far out of position that he had to scramble across to reach it”.
    Having said that though, as alluded to in another post, Pat Jennings style one handed catches, combined with a Wayne Hennesey calmness on the ball had me soon thinking ‘yup, I like him’.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    When he pulled of that good save from ‘scruffy haircut’ guy, I was thinking… “I wonder if it would have been a more comfortable save if he wasn’t initially so far out of position that he had to scramble across to reach it”.
    Having said that though, as alluded to in another post, Pat Jennings style one handed catches, combined with a Wayne Hennesey calmness on the ball had me soon thinking ‘yup, I like him’.
    Being so far out for Cantwell’s shot surely narrowed the angle, making the save ‘easier’ than if he was further back.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Being so far out for Cantwell’s shot surely narrowed the angle, making the save ‘easier’ than if he was further back.
    I’ll have to look at it again.
    It’s just how I recall it happening at the time. Cos it happened so fast when NG’s pass was intercepted, the Norwich guy did a quick pass to haircut guy, and I remember our keeper scrambling across to get back into position.
    Having said that, if we hadn’t given that ball away so easily, it wouldn’t have been a problem.

And overall, I was impressed by his composure, and I am sure the defenders in front of him will have confidence in him, which is a million times more important. 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’ll have to look at it again.
    It’s just how I recall it happening at the time. Cos it happened so fast when NG’s pass was intercepted, the Norwich guy did a quick pass to haircut guy, and I remember our keeper scrambling across to get back into position.
    Having said that, if we hadn’t given that ball away so easily, it wouldn’t have been a problem.

And overall, I was impressed by his composure, and I am sure the defenders in front of him will have confidence in him, which is a million times more important. 👍🏻

I thought he was excellent gave assurances and made good decision loved the dibble around Hugill, more please great signing

Sorry to be a pedant PJ but not sure the header matches the content of your post.

Goal wen (when) was goalie when needed when I were a lad meaning anyone could be the keeper.
    Usually the case if you could only muster 3-a-side.

Really surprised with this guy. Has had, I think, 13 clubs in his career, loans and frees.
    Seemed to come of age at Derby and hopefully will kick on at Cardiff.
    First impressions we have a very decent goalie on our hands.

A few of his goal kicks went straight into touch..Smithies is a better kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    A few of his goal kicks went straight into touch..Smithies is a better kicker.
    There is always someone ready to rain on the parade.