I think what has surprised me the most about the womens win is that I just don’t care at all. And I mean not remotely, if it was the mens Id be really annoyed with England winning a tournament, but nothing. I just don’t really find it very interesting and actually forgot the game was on so didn’t see it.
Reason I don’t think it’s sexist is that lots of people with love for the game have it ingrained from a young age and from when you get into it most of the news, history or the bigger/more publicised news with clubs, teams, players etc is all towards the mens team. So over the years you’re invested into it (I don’t mean financially but emotionally). You know the players, you know the history between teams when they play each other. You’re hooked and it’s something lots of us move away from. The womens team for me then is MK dons, a new team, it isn’t anymore relevant than going to watch a different club and I don’t have the time or interest in going to watch a different team.

Only thing I find mildly irritating is when sports news will say EG there’s been a goal between arsenal and Chelsea, which is quite confusing as first instinct is to try and find if the game is on. They don’t do that with the u21 teams.

I hope that the win will be a springboard for womens football, and congrats to them for winning it but I think for lots of generations it’s too late and it’ll build with a younger crowd