+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: England v Germany Womens Euro Final

Re: England v Germany Womens Euro Final

Glad they won.
    There will be positive knock-on effects to the women's game throughout the whole of the UK, not just England which can only be a good thing can't it?
    I don't particularly care (anymore) that it was probably over-promoted by the BBC on the back of 2012, but it's certainly paid off, and that will bring positives to the women's game in Wales aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Glad they won.
    There will be positive knock-on effects to the women's game throughout the whole of the UK, not just England which can only be a good thing can't it?
    I don't particularly care (anymore) that it was probably over-promoted by the BBC on the back of 2012, but it's certainly paid off, and that will bring positives to the women's game in Wales aswell.
    My mates daughter loves football , she's a city fan yet was more pissed off that Wales were not in the euros

I would definitely have been cheering on the welsh side

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Yeah, I had a few texts about it this morning. Sometimes kids go free, not sure about the Slovenia match. I prefer watching at CSS. At Newport, in the main stand, it's like a cow shed and very claustrophobic! Definitely go for it for the Slovenia match. It's been a bit like Wales mens team back in the day where it's been so close but ended in heartbreak. Fingers crossed (again) for September. It's worth it to see Jess Fishlock play. She's 35 now and won't be going on much longer but has been a great player for Wales.
    Yeah, I knew her sister a few years ago.

Looking at the fixtures, it's a really interesting end to qualification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_F...3_UEFA_Group_I

Tickets were £8 and £4 for kids I think. Apparently FAW are aiming for 10,000, but if they can get the marketing right, you would like to think they could get more.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Maybe we should start a sweep now -
    How many MBEs/other honours will be given to the women's team in the new year honours?

Also, where did this "Lionesses" come from?
    The men's team aren't called Lions, are they?
    The only Lions (as far as I know) in British sport are the Rugby Union British & Irish(not English) Lions.
    Presumably it's because the England men's team are known as the three lions, the women's team can't be called the three lionesses because they haven't got three lionesses on the badge so they've just called themselves the lionesses, therefore not linking it directly to the badge

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yeah, I knew her sister a few years ago.

Looking at the fixtures, it's a really interesting end to qualification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_F...3_UEFA_Group_I

Tickets were £8 and £4 for kids I think. Apparently FAW are aiming for 10,000, but if they can get the marketing right, you would like to think they could get more.
    Book ‘em now. It’ll be really good down there. I’m getting ours today now I know they’re on sale so thanks for the info. 🤙⚽️

I really like the football they've been using in this tournament

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Presumably it's because the England men's team are known as the three lions, the women's team can't be called the three lionesses because they haven't got three lionesses on the badge so they've just called themselves the lionesses, therefore not linking it directly to the badge
    Time to get into the 21st century and formally make the three lions trans to end this nonsense. That said, if you look closely at the England badge, it does look a little bit like the lions have lipstick on, so maybe it's been hiding in plain sight?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Time to get into the 21st century and formally make the three lions trans to end this nonsense. That said, if you look closely at the England badge, it does look a little bit like the lions have lipstick on, so maybe it's been hiding in plain sight?
    The "lions" on the badge are, strictly speaking , Leopards.

Generally speaking (and there are many exceptions in different traditions), a lion rampant (standing erect with forepaws raised) was a lion, while a lion walking with head turned full-face (passant guardant) – as in the English royal arms – was a leopard.

I'd rather watch Italian tennis star Camila Giorgi.

[QUOTE=JamesWales;5327621

I also enjoyed the one player quite clearly shouting "f*** o** you f***ing pr**k" to one of the Germans[/QUOTE]

How about a commemorative mug marking that exact moment 🙂

https://shop.newsthump.com/product/w...sses-roar-mug/

2 questions to ponder:
    How many girls/women want to play football as opposed to ‘I’d rather stick pins in my eyes’?
    Would Wales (men) win a World Cup/Euros if all our games were in Cardiff?

Having watched some of the game. I think the best park side in Cardiff would beat the new woman's Euro champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lither_1927 View Post
    Having watched some of the game. I think the best park side in Cardiff would beat the new woman's Euro champions.
    so what?

What’s your point?

Having read some of your posts, I think an average seven year-old would make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    so what?
    It's not a good spectacle

I actually didn't mind the Lionesses winning it. That was until less than 24 hours after the feat!

I've had R2 on much of the day and not only was it headline news but the feckin DJ's have been playing all kinds of tunes with connotations to their victory or "girl power"

.... and that feckin Neil Diamond can go and do one too!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Having read some of your posts, I think an average seven year-old would make more sense.
    That's a bit rich coming from someone whose posted the most inane response of this thread. Yes I'm referring to your "miserable white old men" jibe. Brainless.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    How about a commemorative mug marking that exact moment 🙂

https://shop.newsthump.com/product/w...sses-roar-mug/
    Never happened, Jeremy Vine and his callers all said it was played and watched by all in a very sporting manner with none of the aggressiveness or nastiness that is prevalent in the men’s game.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    That's a bit rich coming from someone whose posted the most inane response of this thread. Yes I'm referring to your "miserable white old men" jibe. Brainless.
    I thought that might strike a chord….

I thought that might strike a chord….
    Ah....immature as well as inane.

Ah....immature as well as inane.
    You seem offended. Do you perchance fit the description? If not, why has it bothered you?

Seven year old????

Come on Dave.

That's unfair to seven year olds'

Sheesh. Even a thread about women's football descends into personal spats.

Sums him up, regurgitating identity politics clichè like he's literally brainwashed

Weird how he never disputed my claim that the best Cardiff park side would beat the new Euro Champions