+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

I'm in San Fran for a week in September and have booked club level tickets to watch the Giants.

Anyone Been To Oracle Park ?

Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I'm in San Fran for a week in September and have booked club level tickets to watch the Giants.

I went with the family to see a Blue Jays game and it was boring most of the time. They put live footage of several scantily clad female dancers on the big screen during the breaks, and had a DJ. Most of the fans seemed to be there for the footlong hotdogs and beer,😂

If you're not into baseball or don't really understand it, don't bother. It's a long night. And expensive. Oracle Park is nice though. Home runs can go out of the park and into the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I went with the family to see a Blue Jays game and it was boring most of the time. They put live footage of several scantily clad female dancers on the big screen during the breaks, and had a DJ. Most of the fans seemed to be there for the footlong hotdogs and beer,��
    If all you wanted was hot dogs and beer, a ballpark is absolutely the last place you would go. Ridiculously expensive.

nope

Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs is on my list of sporting venues I’d like to visit

I have never seen it live but like basketball , American football and ice hockey it's utter bollocks

Someone walking down the street in this country in a Boston red sox replica Jersey is lost or very odd

My only visit to see the New York Mets play was in the company of my wife’s cousin who lives in Hoboken. Had he not been there explaining the finer points and what was happening I probably wouldn’t have had a clue what was going on and been bored to tears. Especially as it was a low scoring game short on incident.

I went to watch San Diego v San Francisco in San Diego a couple of years ago, with my wife and son and we all enjoyed it. It was expensive mind, I think a can of beer was 11 dollars ? The guy wouldn’t sell my wife the beer because she didn’t have ID and she was 48 at the time and some guy in the queue had to get it for her. We booked to go and watch the Boston Red Sox but the holiday was cancelled because of Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Madlock View Post
    Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs is on my list of sporting venues I’d like to visit
    An afternoon at Wrigley, or Fenway, a dog and a beer or two is a fantastic experience. You have to love the game and understand the history though.

Watch Field of Dreams. If it moves you, then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    An afternoon at Wrigley, or Fenway, a dog and a beer or two is a fantastic experience. You have to love the game and understand the history though.

Watch Field of Dreams. If it moves you, then go for it.
    Is beer in America basically lager ?

Been there a few times, but don't think its ever been called the same any time ive been, was AT&T Park then something else, and maybe something else the 3rd time. Its a fantastic stadium, worth going just to say you've been there. Last time i was there was on my 50th birthday and saw a grand slam!

Personally I love it. Can see how it would be a hard watch for non fans though. Might be worth having a read through some of the basics just so you know what is going in.

It's a pitching oriented game, so expect more defensive than hitting action.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Is beer in America basically lager ?
    No. it used to be that way. But now there are all these weird microbreweries that make all kinds of weird shit. IPAs that are way too hoppy, darks that are 8%. It's quite ridiculous. Most Americans still drink crap though.

I've been to one baseball game (minor leagues) and one basketball game (Knicks at MSG) and even though I prefer basketball as a sport, I had a better time at the baseball. That's just because I liked walking around with a beer and hot dog. The game was secondary. The experience of the whole thing - the actual game, the food, the atmosphere, the mascots, the crowd games, the view, the U S A - was just better at the baseball.

I’m off to New York next weekend and bought tickets for the Mets v the Braves on Sunday and looking forward to it.

I’ve been to Fenway to watch the Red Sox and saw the Yankees v the Red Sox at the West Ham ground the other year so I understand baseball although the rules aren’t that complicated

I like all American sport and when I’m in the States I generally go to an NBA or NFL game
    I enjoy the day with a few beers and a hot dog watching sport especially at the basketball as there’s loads going on during time outs and halt time etc

you can catch a live game weekly on the MLB channel on youtube, including recordings of previous games, so you can get a feel for it if you don't know it. The jargon takes some getting used to. Try this link for some background.. I wouldn't watch it live without knowing at least the basics. It's a great sport IMHO. Anyone beats anyone, really.

The fans like to do 'tailgate parties'. They turn up into their huge carparks with the SUV loaded with a barbie, burgers, beer, chairs etc and have a get-together. They'd most likely welcome you.

https://www.howbaseballworks.com/TheBasics.htm

I first went in ‘06 and saw the Yankees play Kansas City.
    Loved it.
    The atmosphere was great. The crowds leading up to the stadium reminded me of 6Nations game and once inside it was like an ODI.
    It was a high scoring game so plenty to see.
    I’ve been back since and watched loads of games. That first experience definitely got me interested.
    Take in the full culture. The beers (yeah might be a touch pricy) the food, the Crackerjack, the 7th Inning Stretch. Chat to the locals - wear your City shirt, it’ll get noticed - especially those next to you who can help with some of the subtleties of the game.
    The game itself will probably be long, and a little slow. But the speed of the action in the big plays is electric with fielding skills way above what we see in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffster View Post
    I first went in ‘06 and saw the Yankees play Kansas City.
    Loved it.
    The atmosphere was great. The crowds leading up to the stadium reminded me of 6Nations game and once inside it was like an ODI.
    It was a high scoring game so plenty to see.
    I’ve been back since and watched loads of games. That first experience definitely got me interested.
    Take in the full culture. The beers (yeah might be a touch pricy) the food, the Crackerjack, the 7th Inning Stretch. Chat to the locals - wear your City shirt, it’ll get noticed - especially those next to you who can help with some of the subtleties of the game.
    The game itself will probably be long, and a little slow. But the speed of the action in the big plays is electric with fielding skills way above what we see in cricket.
    Just how I see it. The breaks between innings are for the TV ads and they slow it down, but in youtube you don''t get them. They are always searching for ways to speed the game up as they are losing fans. I mostly like the Mets as they rebuilt a new team after the Brooklyn Dodgers and Giants were taken away from them. Some fan power there. They really hate foreigners who say they are Yankees fans!

Just wondering if there's enough of us to ask Mike to set up a Baseball sub-forum here. After all it's not so long since we had our own version of baseball, fondly remembered. Whadda ya think Mike?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mansfield View Post
    They really hate foreigners who say they are Yankees fans!
    I know 🤣

Been back to see the Mets too at Citi Park. Worth going just for the Jackie Robinson Rotunda.

However, I’ve been back to see NYY too at the new stadium. And got to say it was a better experience all round. A better experience walking up to the ground, place is steeped in history, the ground is fantastic, the Yankees weren’t playing the Marlins (God, they are bad!!) and the locals were more chatty at Yankee stadium than Citi Park.

Also saw the Mets play the Nationals. Cheered the Mets on, obviously.

Week later went to DC and saw the Nationals play the Brewers. In the first innings the team in the grey kit hit a huge home run. So I cheered loudly and enthusiastically. Only the Nationals weren’t wearing grey this time. 🙄

It’s easy to move stands at Nationals Park.

We (the whole family) went to see the Dodgers when we were in the US a few years back and surprisingly all found it quite dull (and my eldest son is a sports journalist and loves American sport).

I'm glad that we went but I wouldn't be desperate to go again or say that you'll love it. It is worth seeing as a traditional US pastime, but not much more than that. And it goes on......

Probably exactly like an American going to a cricket match!

saw the Yankees play a while back and was bored rigid. I think part of the issue was a lack of real atmosphere due to there being few away fans in US sport. On the other hand I watched the Philly Flyers play the New York Rangers (Ice Hockey) in Philly a couple of years ago and that was superb. Great sport, great show, and a bit of banter between the fans as they are local rivals.

Definitely go. I've been following the Giants for over 30 years, long story. Oracle Park is rated as one of the best in MLB. The only problem is that they probably won't have much to play for by September. The season has fallen away badly after winning 107 games last season, the most in baseball.
    I've never been to Oracle, I went to their old stadium at Candlestick Park but that was for an NFL game. I have been to Fenway Park which is full of character. Oracle is too, just several decades newer.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Definitely go. I've been following the Giants for over 30 years, long story. Oracle Park is rated as one of the best in MLB. The only problem is that they probably won't have much to play for by September. The season has fallen away badly after winning 107 games last season, the most in baseball.
    I've never been to Oracle, I went to their old stadium at Candlestick Park but that was for an NFL game. I have been to Fenway Park which is full of character. Oracle is too, just several decades newer.
    The giants are new York?

Do you follow the American football side too ? 🤔