+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

Saw a women’s basketball match at Madison Square Gardens four years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The giants are new York?

Do you follow the American football side too ? 🤔
    The Giants MLB team are the San Francisco Giants. They used to be in New York until 1958 but them and the Brooklyn Dodgers moved West around the same time, the Dodgers went to LA.
    The NY Giants are the NFL team, although they play in New Jersey. Strange lot aren't they.
    Yes I do follow the NFL - 49ers fan since NFL first came onto Channel 4. I like San Francisco you may have gathered by this. Good fishing there too

So you reckon ice hockey is bollocks then? You must be a boring person,have you not been to watch the Devils very often then? Most of the time ice hockey is far more exciting then football.Not only that ,the games last 60 minutes,60 minutes of actual action not like football when one third of the ninety minutes involves no actual play at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    So you reckon ice hockey is bollocks then? You must be a boring person,have you not been to watch the Devils very often then? Most of the time ice hockey is far more exciting then football.Not only that ,the games last 60 minutes,60 minutes of actual action not like football when one third of the ninety minutes involves no actual play at all.
    Yeah ice hockey is fantastic as a spectator sport. Rules are relatively straight forward and it's action all the way through. I got into it 5 or so years ago after a trip to Canada and saw the Leafs while in Toronto. Went to see the Kings when in LA a few years ago too, which was also great.
    However, I saw the Clippers play Golden State at Staples Center on my first visit to the States in 2012 and fell asleep in the 3rd quarter. Impressive skills no doubt, but I found basketball pretty boring.

Yeah ice hockey is fantastic as a spectator sport. Rules are relatively straight forward and it's action all the way through. I got into it 5 or so years ago after a trip to Canada and saw the Leafs while in Toronto. Went to see the Kings when in LA a few years ago too, which was also great. The skill coupled with the speed is just unbelievable.
    However, I saw the Clippers play Golden State at Staples Center on my first visit to the States in 2012 and fell asleep in the 3rd quarter. Impressive skills no doubt, but I found basketball pretty boring.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If you're not into baseball or don't really understand it, don't bother. It's a long night. And expensive. Oracle Park is nice though. Home runs can go out of the park and into the bay.
    I've been to many American baseball games. Obviously, it helps if you understand what's going on. Baseball is a very studied, mathematical game, advancing through nine innings, three outs per innings, four balls or three strikes on each batter. It's slow but methodical, a bit like cricket in that sense. When I go I usually take a book, and glance up when things get scary, like when the pitcher is trying to dig out of a bases loaded, no-outs situation, always interesting.

And then there are the oddities. I took my dad to a game once and he wanted to know why the pitcher deliberately threw the batter four balls (bads), thus conceding first base. "He walked him," I said. "What's that?" "He's a very good hitter, and they're afraid that if they throw him something he can hit, he'll hit it out of the park. So they gave up first base instead of potentially something worse."

He was amazed. Thought it was cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mansfield View Post
    Just wondering if there's enough of us to ask Mike to set up a Baseball sub-forum here. After all it's not so long since we had our own version of baseball, fondly remembered. Whadda ya think Mike?
    I don't think it'll take off enough to require a forum of it's own. Maybe an MLB thread like the Glammy one.

Only live sport I've seen in the USA was Brooklyn Nets v Washington basketball in Brooklyn. Glad I experienced it.

I like baseball but it can be a bit tedious. I like NFL as well.

I personally find ice hockey boring . I also find basketball boring . Horse Racing , I think that's boring too .

The commonwealth games is hard work as well .

If people are into ice hockey more power to them but I find it completely tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    The Giants MLB team are the San Francisco Giants. They used to be in New York until 1958 but them and the Brooklyn Dodgers moved West around the same time, the Dodgers went to LA.
    The NY Giants are the NFL team, although they play in New Jersey. Strange lot aren't they.
    Yes I do follow the NFL - 49ers fan since NFL first came onto Channel 4. I like San Francisco you may have gathered by this. Good fishing there too
    Do places like Oakland have a team or are they under the 49ners wing ?

In NFL the raiders have moved between Oakland and LA a couple of times, but now in Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

Watch Field of Dreams. If it moves you, then go for it.
    It’s the only movie where I know every word in the script and receipt it in time with the actors.

Weirdly I’m not a fan of modern baseball by I love baseball history & have probably watched every available film / documentary.

Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-bitch when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It’s the only movie where I know every word in the script and receipt it in time with the actors.

Weirdly I’m not a fan of modern baseball by I love baseball history & have probably watched every available film / documentary.

Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-bitch when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!
    I love Ken whatshisface's documentary on baseball, and theres a good one all about Ebbets field on Netflix too. Battered Bastards of baseball is a cracker tho.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    In NFL the raiders have moved between Oakland and LA a couple of times, but now in Las Vegas.
    The thread started with the Giants who spent 8 decades in New York before moving to SF in the 50’s, they’re 140 years old!

I seen it so many times. I still get choked up at the end when he says "dad, do you wanna have a catch?".

Oakland has a baseball team. The Oakland As. Formerly the Philadephia Athletics.

The thread started with the Giants who spent 8 decades in New York before moving to SF in the 50’s, they’re 140 years old!
    How can a team spend eighty years playing in such a fantastic city as New York, just up sticks and move right across the country to another state, it defies belief!
    They would have surely built up a loyal fanbase during that time, along with merchandise of the club throughout the city.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    I love Ken whatshisface's documentary on baseball, and theres a good one all about Ebbets field on Netflix too. Battered Bastards of baseball is a cracker tho.
    Burns? If so, he's an excellent documentary maker. The American Civil War, The West, Country Music and a lot else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    How can a team spend eighty years playing in such a fantastic city as New York, just up sticks and move right across the country to another state, it defies belief!
    They would have surely built up a loyal fanbase during that time, along with merchandise of the club throughout the city.
    The word 'Franchise' says it all. The dollar means more than tradition in many ways in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    By the end of the1950s their attendances had dropped and the Polo Grounds where they played in upper Harlem was in a bad state of disrepair. This was in spite of them winning the world series in 54 and having Willie Mays on the team, often rated as one of the greatest players ever. The people running baseball were keen to see expansion too as there weren't any teams west of St Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    By the end of the1950s their attendances had dropped and the Polo Grounds where they played in upper Harlem was in a bad state of disrepair. This was in spite of them winning the world series in 54 and having Willie Mays on the team, often rated as one of the greatest players ever. The people running baseball were keen to see expansion too as there weren't any teams west of St Louis.
    & they followed the Dodgers who went to LA. NY went from 3 teams to 1

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Burns? If so, he's an excellent documentary maker. The American Civil War, The West, Country Music and a lot else.
    Excellent, thanks for the lead, plenty to look at there.

https://kenburns.com/the-films/

Yeah it's bloody great. I've been to a few games in Philly NY and Chicago and loved it. Never been to Oracle but a good mate of mine has and he loved it. IMHO it's the quintessential American sporting experience, there's nothing quite like belting out Take Me Out To The Ballgame in the 7th innings stretch.

The pace is similar to cricket, its quite relaxed with lots of breaks punctuated by occasional outstanding athletic feats. Unless you're going to a playoff game or a pennant games, it won't be that busy and you can mill around and pretty much sit where you like. Booze and food and be expensive but they often have promotions and freebies.

It’s the only “North American” sport I’m really into. Got into it by pure chance in my student days in the early 00s via Channel Five and got hooked. They had an endearing crew covering between innings in a slightly ramshackle and irreverent style, made up of British and ex-pat Americans/Canadians. Nice nostalgic write up here: https://theathletic.com/1040282/2019...y-2000s/?amp=1

Followed the show until it sadly went off air in the late 00s. Lost touch with the game until a few years back and have got back into it again. Watch a game a week, give or take, and listen to Baseball Tonight a few times a week.

Wish BT Sport would resurrect something similar to the C5 setup for a UK audience now they have the rights.

It’s a big sport in Japan too and worth going to watch a game there should the chance present itself, bit of a different atmosphere and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    It’s the only “North American” sport I’m really into. Got into it by pure chance in my student days in the early 00s via Channel Five and got hooked. They had an endearing crew covering between innings in a slightly ramshackle and irreverent style, made up of British and ex-pat Americans/Canadians. Nice nostalgic write up here: https://theathletic.com/1040282/2019...y-2000s/?amp=1

Followed the show until it sadly went off air in the late 00s. Lost touch with the game until a few years back and have got back into it again. Watch a game a week, give or take, and listen to Baseball Tonight a few times a week.

Wish BT Sport would resurrect something similar to the C5 setup for a UK audience now they have the rights.

It’s a big sport in Japan too and worth going to watch a game there should the chance present itself, bit of a different atmosphere and experience.
    very big in South Korea too

Glad I saw a game at Yankies stadium, for the overall experience.
    The game was shite and way too long.
    Once was enough.