+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 64

Thread: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

  1. #21

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mansfield View Post
    They really hate foreigners who say they are Yankees fans!
    I know 🤣

    Been back to see the Mets too at Citi Park. Worth going just for the Jackie Robinson Rotunda.

    However, Iíve been back to see NYY too at the new stadium. And got to say it was a better experience all round. A better experience walking up to the ground, place is steeped in history, the ground is fantastic, the Yankees werenít playing the Marlins (God, they are bad!!) and the locals were more chatty at Yankee stadium than Citi Park.

    Also saw the Mets play the Nationals. Cheered the Mets on, obviously.

    Week later went to DC and saw the Nationals play the Brewers. In the first innings the team in the grey kit hit a huge home run. So I cheered loudly and enthusiastically. Only the Nationals werenít wearing grey this time. 🙄

    Itís easy to move stands at Nationals Park.

  2. #22

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    I'm in San Fran for a week in September and have booked club level tickets to watch the Giants.

    Anyone Been To Oracle Park ?
    We (the whole family) went to see the Dodgers when we were in the US a few years back and surprisingly all found it quite dull (and my eldest son is a sports journalist and loves American sport).

    I'm glad that we went but I wouldn't be desperate to go again or say that you'll love it. It is worth seeing as a traditional US pastime, but not much more than that. And it goes on......

    Probably exactly like an American going to a cricket match!

  3. #23

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    saw the Yankees play a while back and was bored rigid. I think part of the issue was a lack of real atmosphere due to there being few away fans in US sport. On the other hand I watched the Philly Flyers play the New York Rangers (Ice Hockey) in Philly a couple of years ago and that was superb. Great sport, great show, and a bit of banter between the fans as they are local rivals.

  4. #24

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Definitely go. I've been following the Giants for over 30 years, long story. Oracle Park is rated as one of the best in MLB. The only problem is that they probably won't have much to play for by September. The season has fallen away badly after winning 107 games last season, the most in baseball.
    I've never been to Oracle, I went to their old stadium at Candlestick Park but that was for an NFL game. I have been to Fenway Park which is full of character. Oracle is too, just several decades newer.

  5. #25

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Definitely go. I've been following the Giants for over 30 years, long story. Oracle Park is rated as one of the best in MLB. The only problem is that they probably won't have much to play for by September. The season has fallen away badly after winning 107 games last season, the most in baseball.
    I've never been to Oracle, I went to their old stadium at Candlestick Park but that was for an NFL game. I have been to Fenway Park which is full of character. Oracle is too, just several decades newer.
    The giants are new York?

    Do you follow the American football side too ? 🤔

  6. #26

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Saw a womenís basketball match at Madison Square Gardens four years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

  7. #27

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The giants are new York?

    Do you follow the American football side too ? 🤔
    The Giants MLB team are the San Francisco Giants. They used to be in New York until 1958 but them and the Brooklyn Dodgers moved West around the same time, the Dodgers went to LA.
    The NY Giants are the NFL team, although they play in New Jersey. Strange lot aren't they.
    Yes I do follow the NFL - 49ers fan since NFL first came onto Channel 4. I like San Francisco you may have gathered by this. Good fishing there too

  8. #28

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    So you reckon ice hockey is bollocks then? You must be a boring person,have you not been to watch the Devils very often then? Most of the time ice hockey is far more exciting then football.Not only that ,the games last 60 minutes,60 minutes of actual action not like football when one third of the ninety minutes involves no actual play at all.

  9. #29

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    So you reckon ice hockey is bollocks then? You must be a boring person,have you not been to watch the Devils very often then? Most of the time ice hockey is far more exciting then football.Not only that ,the games last 60 minutes,60 minutes of actual action not like football when one third of the ninety minutes involves no actual play at all.
    Yeah ice hockey is fantastic as a spectator sport. Rules are relatively straight forward and it's action all the way through. I got into it 5 or so years ago after a trip to Canada and saw the Leafs while in Toronto. Went to see the Kings when in LA a few years ago too, which was also great.
    However, I saw the Clippers play Golden State at Staples Center on my first visit to the States in 2012 and fell asleep in the 3rd quarter. Impressive skills no doubt, but I found basketball pretty boring.

  10. #30

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    So you reckon ice hockey is bollocks then? You must be a boring person,have you not been to watch the Devils very often then? Most of the time ice hockey is far more exciting then football.Not only that ,the games last 60 minutes,60 minutes of actual action not like football when one third of the ninety minutes involves no actual play at all.
    Yeah ice hockey is fantastic as a spectator sport. Rules are relatively straight forward and it's action all the way through. I got into it 5 or so years ago after a trip to Canada and saw the Leafs while in Toronto. Went to see the Kings when in LA a few years ago too, which was also great. The skill coupled with the speed is just unbelievable.
    However, I saw the Clippers play Golden State at Staples Center on my first visit to the States in 2012 and fell asleep in the 3rd quarter. Impressive skills no doubt, but I found basketball pretty boring.

  11. #31

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If you're not into baseball or don't really understand it, don't bother. It's a long night. And expensive. Oracle Park is nice though. Home runs can go out of the park and into the bay.
    I've been to many American baseball games. Obviously, it helps if you understand what's going on. Baseball is a very studied, mathematical game, advancing through nine innings, three outs per innings, four balls or three strikes on each batter. It's slow but methodical, a bit like cricket in that sense. When I go I usually take a book, and glance up when things get scary, like when the pitcher is trying to dig out of a bases loaded, no-outs situation, always interesting.

    And then there are the oddities. I took my dad to a game once and he wanted to know why the pitcher deliberately threw the batter four balls (bads), thus conceding first base. "He walked him," I said. "What's that?" "He's a very good hitter, and they're afraid that if they throw him something he can hit, he'll hit it out of the park. So they gave up first base instead of potentially something worse."

    He was amazed. Thought it was cheating.

  12. #32

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mansfield View Post
    Just wondering if there's enough of us to ask Mike to set up a Baseball sub-forum here. After all it's not so long since we had our own version of baseball, fondly remembered. Whadda ya think Mike?
    I don't think it'll take off enough to require a forum of it's own. Maybe an MLB thread like the Glammy one.

    Only live sport I've seen in the USA was Brooklyn Nets v Washington basketball in Brooklyn. Glad I experienced it.

    I like baseball but it can be a bit tedious. I like NFL as well.

  13. #33

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    So you reckon ice hockey is bollocks then? You must be a boring person,have you not been to watch the Devils very often then? Most of the time ice hockey is far more exciting then football.Not only that ,the games last 60 minutes,60 minutes of actual action not like football when one third of the ninety minutes involves no actual play at all.
    I personally find ice hockey boring . I also find basketball boring . Horse Racing , I think that's boring too .

    The commonwealth games is hard work as well .

    If people are into ice hockey more power to them but I find it completely tedious.

  14. #34

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    The Giants MLB team are the San Francisco Giants. They used to be in New York until 1958 but them and the Brooklyn Dodgers moved West around the same time, the Dodgers went to LA.
    The NY Giants are the NFL team, although they play in New Jersey. Strange lot aren't they.
    Yes I do follow the NFL - 49ers fan since NFL first came onto Channel 4. I like San Francisco you may have gathered by this. Good fishing there too
    Do places like Oakland have a team or are they under the 49ners wing ?

  15. #35

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Do places like Oakland have a team or are they under the 49ners wing ?
    In NFL the raiders have moved between Oakland and LA a couple of times, but now in Las Vegas.

  16. #36

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

    Watch Field of Dreams. If it moves you, then go for it.
    Itís the only movie where I know every word in the script and receipt it in time with the actors.

    Weirdly Iím not a fan of modern baseball by I love baseball history & have probably watched every available film / documentary.

    Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-bitch when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!

  17. #37

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It’s the only movie where I know every word in the script and receipt it in time with the actors.

    Weirdly I’m not a fan of modern baseball by I love baseball history & have probably watched every available film / documentary.

    Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-bitch when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!
    I love Ken whatshisface's documentary on baseball, and theres a good one all about Ebbets field on Netflix too. Battered Bastards of baseball is a cracker tho.

  18. #38

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    In NFL the raiders have moved between Oakland and LA a couple of times, but now in Las Vegas.
    The thread started with the Giants who spent 8 decades in New York before moving to SF in the 50’s, they’re 140 years old!

  19. #39

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It’s the only movie where I know every word in the script and receipt it in time with the actors.

    Weirdly I’m not a fan of modern baseball by I love baseball history & have probably watched every available film / documentary.

    Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-bitch when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!


    I seen it so many times. I still get choked up at the end when he says "dad, do you wanna have a catch?".

  20. #40

    Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Do places like Oakland have a team or are they under the 49ners wing ?
    Oakland has a baseball team. The Oakland As. Formerly the Philadephia Athletics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •