+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever done stand up comedy properly? Advice

Re: Anyone ever done stand up comedy properly? Advice

Confessions of a taxi driver are likely to be far funnier than home made jokes which the writer might find amusing but the audience don't. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Re-sign Carl Dale View Post
    What an opportunity - would definitely go for a story (or two) rather than a string of gags and puns.

Is the event open to the public?
    Try this anyone that's interested.

https://facebook.com/events/s/virtua...0849237415338/

I was best man at wedding and had to give a speech infront of 400 guests
    I was bricking it for weeks but it went ever so well
    Guests coming up to me at the bar afterwards congratulating me
    My advice would be one main story with a great punchline - everyone was weak with laughter and a few spin off shorter stories that tie into the main joke
    I also started by bringing a duffel bag from under the table from which I brought out props and placed them infront of me after showing each one to the room
    The props had everyone guessing plus they all meant something to each story which helps you keep your train of thought

Good luck Bob

I think the taxi driver stories will be a winner. People like comedy they can relate to and that’s a good start.

I have done it a few times, pick out someone in the audience and pounce on them when they move or do anything, do it a few times and then say i forgot where i was with that story now always wastes time that

Quote Originally Posted by Bozza64 View Post
    I have done it a few times, pick out someone in the audience and pounce on them when they move or do anything, do it a few times and then say i forgot where i was with that story now always wastes time that
    I'm wondering why you'd feel the need to do that?

Surely the aim would be to try and get everything to run as smoothly as possible?

If you are a Taxi driver, then you could tell the audience you use your indicators. They’ll be putty in your hands after they stop laughing at that one 👍

Bill Hicks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Re-sign Carl Dale View Post
    What an opportunity - would definitely go for a story (or two) rather than a string of gags and puns.

Is the event open to the public?
    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    If you are a Taxi driver, then you could tell the audience you use your indicators. They’ll be putty in your hands after they stop laughing at that one 👍
    Haha. Joke en joke. Like it

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I was best man at wedding and had to give a speech infront of 400 guests
    I was bricking it for weeks but it went ever so well
    Guests coming up to me at the bar afterwards congratulating me
    My advice would be one main story with a great punchline - everyone was weak with laughter and a few spin off shorter stories that tie into the main joke
    I also started by bringing a duffel bag from under the table from which I brought out props and placed them infront of me after showing each one to the room
    The props had everyone guessing plus they all meant something to each story which helps you keep your train of thought

Good luck Bob
    Although at a wedding everyone is behind you and wants you to do well. Not always the case in a stand up show!

Cheers lads for sponsorship. I am truly truly humbled by that.
    And some great advice on this thread as well
    Cheers xx

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I'm wondering why you'd feel the need to do that?

Surely the aim would be to try and get everything to run as smoothly as possible?
    Being too polished sometimes doesn't work.

Doing the above makes it seem like it's not rehearsed and you're the first people to hear it - can work or you can make yourself look a dick

Write it out on paper - at least the important bits. Look at opportunities to add funny quips occasionally. Then do the whole thing 'live' in your living room, and time it. See if it works. Make sure it flows along. Get someone else to listen and maybe give feedback. What is funny to you may not be funny to anyone else. It has to end on a laugh, so make sure it does.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Cheers lads for sponsorship. I am truly truly humbled by that.
    And some great advice on this thread as well
    Cheers xx
    Pick on the audience-' Did i have you in my cab once?' I recognise the smell...

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Although at a wedding everyone is behind you and wants you to do well. Not always the case in a stand up show!
    I thought that only happened in pantomimes?

Don't do it unless you have balls of steel or the confidence of Tyson fury buying a coffee at Greggs.
    It's the hardest thing ever.

You could buy a bit of time during the taxi driver story. Stop talking for 15/20 seconds mid flow (will seem like an age but it obviously isn’t), resume the story with a ‘Whoops, sorry about that, old habits die hard, I thought you were on the meter’.

Introduce yourself as a taxi driver, explain you're a bit nervous, and then turn your back on the audience and take a mirror out of your pocket. Then talking to the mirror, say, thats better, i feel at home now.

A 5 minute story is too long i think. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Introduce yourself as a taxi driver, explain you're a bit nervous, and then turn your back on the audience and take a mirror out of your pocket. Then talking to the mirror, say, thats better, i feel at home now.
    Good grief

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    😭😭🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Classic!

I start my training tonight for 8 weeks. Gig is on 27th November.
    I'm bricking it now.
    I've been writing some shit gags building up to this.

I start my training tonight for 8 weeks. Gig is on 27th November.
    I'm bricking it now.
    I've been writing some shit gags building up to this.
    You are very brave. I have always wondered about people even getting to the point of considering a first gig. Any stories as to how any of you got to that juncture?

Training was pretty basic tonight. Just introducing ourselves and a quick story of who our favourite comedians are and one simple joke.
    My memory is so so bad. I've written about 20 jokes to fill in about 5 minutes of stage time but I couldn't get through telling just one without me stuttering and quivering in front of 25 people who were all in my shoes.
    Some who were there were like me had never done it before and others were doing it for the umpteenth time.
    I realised tonight karaoke confidence is completely different to telling a joke in front of total strangers or to your mates.
    It can only get better with practice

Training was pretty basic tonight. Just introducing ourselves and a quick story of who our favourite comedians are and one simple joke.
    My memory is so so bad. I've written about 20 jokes to fill in about 5 minutes of stage time but I couldn't get through telling just one without me stuttering and quivering in front of 25 people who were all in my shoes.
    Some who were there were like me had never done it before and others were doing it for the umpteenth time.
    I realised tonight karaoke confidence is completely different to telling a joke in front of total strangers or to your mates.
    It can only get better with practice
    Keep us informed as it's an interesting story.

In the meantime, what made you interested in getting from telling jokes with your mates to trying it onstage. I'm really interested as it's a huge leap.