+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever done stand up comedy properly? Advice

Re: Anyone ever done stand up comedy properly? Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Did you hear the joke about the footballer who spent some of his money on booze women and fast cars? The rest he squandered.
    Is that the Best you can come up with

What about the paranoid scrum half.
    Every time there was a scrum, he thought they were talking about him!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Is that the Best you can come up with
    Nice one. George Best's autobiography was a great read.

Wrote a few myself. They are pretty bad but at least they are mine and not stolen which is what they want us to do.

I'm thinking of starting up my own business making snooker Cues.
    Anyone got any tips?

Dont ever do a sleepover with the band the fuegees.
    Everytime I nodded off they'd each take it in turns putting a pillow over my face.
    They were trying to kill me softly.

So this Indian guy I know, when he goes to bed
    he sleeps on this big bag of rice.
    It makes a lovely pillau.

Robbie williams was once asked which one he preferred, Birds Custard or Angel Delight?
    I think I'll let you be the judge of that?

And there's more. Uncle Bob, you could always fall back on a letter from me mammy a la Jimmy Cricket if you dry up.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I am really struggling with this comedy gig I've volunteered to do for charity.
    For those that know me well I'm usually a pretty confident type of person in general. But after week 3 of training, I am starting to doubt I can do this I am really finding it difficult to get up and present my 5 mins worth of material without getting all flustered and just not able to remember anything I've wrote.
    My mind is just going completely blank when I get up in front of people and then I'm just stuttering and going into a sweat.

I believe it has now started effecting my day to day living so much so that my anxiety levels and blood pressure readings have hit an all time high.
    So much so that it's on red on the machine saying seek immediate medical help.

I won't be dropping out as this should be a dream come true for me. But I just don't think I'll be able to function properly on the night and will balls it all up spectacularly in front of all my family and friends.
    It's only 5 minutes I have to do but I've never experienced pressure like this it's absolutely mental torture.
    Anyway, that's week 3 update.

Fingers crossed I don't have a clutcher before the gig. ❤️❤️🤞😂😂
    Try and catch "This Morning" on the ITV HUB, either yesterday (Thurs 20th) or the day before, Sara Pascoe (comedienne) was on and was explaining some of the things your worried about as she's starting to tour again after 5 years off having had her first child. I'm sure there'll be things she talks about that'll be very useful too you.
    Good luck!

Wrote a few myself. They are pretty bad but at least they are mine and not stolen which is what they want us to do.

I'm thinking of starting up my own business making snooker Cues.
    Anyone got any tips?
    Sorry I haven't a cue.

OK I'll chalk you off for any advice

Comedy training night week 6.

Update. ** Absolutely buzzing this morning after somehow remembering my jokes last night and performing my little set in front of the other guys who are doing the course with me.

Yesterday morning I got to admit the stress of doing this gig was driving me insane.
    If so many people I know hadn't bought tickets and also sponsored me I'd have just withdrawn from it as it was taking over my life every second I was awake.
    I've never ever felt so much pressure to do something that I have got in my mindset I just couldn't do anymore.
    My memory is knackered.

And then I met My mrs for dinner yesterday afternoon and it suddenly came to me after trying all day to remember my lines.

It lifted my spirit and my confidence.

At the training itself I felt more and more confident as the night went on and then it was my turn to do my 4 minute set.
    It was far from perfect, it was probably even crap, but I'm now confident I can do this as I remembered my script without looking at my book and actually suprised myself.

Today I've been practicing all morning to myself in my taxi, and I'm almost nailing remembering every single joke I've written myself.
    I am on cloud nine today and if I keep practicing like I am I will pull this off and not make an ass of myself.
    This is actually the first day since signing up that I am really looking forward to doing this gig instead of dreading that I had signed up to do it.
    I can't wait.
    😛😛😛❤️❤️❤️❤️

Good luck, great that it’s coming together.

Good luck UB.

I think one of the reasons this has been such a popular thread, is the way in which you have managed to convey your emotions in all of this (the self-doubt in particular). Most of us can empathise, as at some point in our lives we would have experienced similar feelings to a lesser or greater degree, obviously not related to being a stand-up comedian, but... job interview, that first date and what to say, etc.

Anyway, good luck!

Selfish plug by me but if you'd like to sponsor me even a quid I'd be absolutely humbled by your generosity.
    I hate these things but honestly, I am well outta my comfort zone now and I am stressing big time at what I have done.
    Cancer research is a charity close to my heart having a mate who is dying with it currently and knowing lots of relatives who have had the big c and no longer with me.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Ian-Oldfield1

Cheers for allowing this. ❤️❤️
    Bumping your just giving link. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I think one of the reasons this has been such a popular thread, is the way in which you have managed to convey your emotions in all of this (the self-doubt in particular). Most of us can empathise, as at some point in our lives we would have experienced similar feelings to a lesser or greater degree, obviously not related to being a stand-up comedian, but... job interview, that first date and what to say, etc.

Anyway, good luck!

This ⬆️

Good luck tonight.

Cheers guys. Not posted much as I've been so depressed leading up to this week.
    All of a sudden, I've had a little taste of success down at the Glee club 2 weeks ago whereby I shouted out to a comedian something on stage which got a big round of applause from the crowd, then he asked me my name and what I did.
    Instead of saying I'm a taxi driver, I told him I was in training for 8 weeks to do what he was doing on stage.
    He asked what type of comedy so when I said jokes I'd been writing he gave me the mic in my seat at the front of the stage.
    I told 3 jokes and had lots of laughs.
    It was a full house in there so got a big round of applause which I recorded on my phone.
    I managed to get a recording of me telling a joke and the whole crowd going nuts. It was the biggest buzz of my life so far.
    But remembering the stuff I found impossible until this week whereby I've found a formula whereby I write down just one trigger word from each joke I've written and I'm now getting more and more confident everyday.
    I practice every half hour in my taxi when nobody's in my car and I'm parked up.
    It's slowly coming together.
    Not in a million years would I have said that I'd get to this point just a few days ago.

Done my gig tonight. I'm pleased to say it all went really well.
    As promised by me after a few on here sponsored me for cancer research he is my video of my 4 minutes of fame.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...8&id=785829407

As promised by me after a few on here sponsored me for cancer research he is my video of my 4 minutes of fame.

Great that.

Takes some balls to even get up there but they wanted more which says it all.

****ing brilliant mate, nice one.

Comedy training night week 6.

Update. ** Absolutely buzzing this morning after somehow remembering my jokes last night and performing my little set in front of the other guys who are doing the course with me.

Yesterday morning I got to admit the stress of doing this gig was driving me insane.
    If so many people I know hadn't bought tickets and also sponsored me I'd have just withdrawn from it as it was taking over my life every second I was awake.
    I've never ever felt so much pressure to do something that I have got in my mindset I just couldn't do anymore.
    My memory is knackered.

And then I met My mrs for dinner yesterday afternoon and it suddenly came to me after trying all day to remember my lines.

It lifted my spirit and my confidence.

At the training itself I felt more and more confident as the night went on and then it was my turn to do my 4 minute set.
    It was far from perfect, it was probably even crap, but I'm now confident I can do this as I remembered my script without looking at my book and actually suprised myself.

Today I've been practicing all morning to myself in my taxi, and I'm almost nailing remembering every single joke I've written myself.
    I am on cloud nine today and if I keep practicing like I am I will pull this off and not make an ass of myself.
    This is actually the first day since signing up that I am really looking forward to doing this gig instead of dreading that I had signed up to do it.
    I can't wait.
    😛😛😛❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Well done mate. It's great reading your story and thanks for sharing. I'm so glad it's coming together for you. You've my utmost admiration. Glad the training went well and good luck.

I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

Brilliant - really enjoyed that.

That reaction to you telling jokes at the Glee must have given a hell of a boost.

Superb stuff, you really have my admiration. Made me laugh a few times as well and, more important, the audience certainly seemed impressed

Great effort.

Enjoyed watching that.

Well done on the achievement and for sharing your story and experience.

Sad news now. I actually didn't know on the morning of gig but woke up with blood coming out my ear and screaming with puss.
    Shivering cold all day at the gig and I was supposed to be the very last act on but I asked if I could go on first as I felt so weak.

Anyway I'm up the heath hospital now for at least 7 days as I have meningitis and sepsis on my brain. I am absolutely feeling terrible.

Thanks for the donations everyone. Love the bobster

Well done mate. Should be proud for overcoming your nerves and self doubt