+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Kion Etete - NEW SIGNING CONFIRMED

Kion Etete - NEW SIGNING CONFIRMED

The latest striker rumour doing the rounds on Twitter- supposedly we've tabled a bid of around half a million for him.

6ft4-6ft6 (depending on which outlet you believe) 20 year old who was out on loan at Northampton (22 apps, 6 goals) and Cheltenham (13 apps, 3 goals) last season. From a quick Google search, it appears he didn't travel on Spurs' pre-season tour to South Korea and expects to leave this summer.

Can't say I've ever heard of him, and not a name I'd even heard mentioned before yesterday. Anyone got any thoughts/more info on him?

Re: Kion Etete- Spurs striker

Quote Originally Posted by Colin'sReversibleHat View Post
    The latest striker rumour doing the rounds on Twitter- supposedly we've tabled a bid of around half a million for him.

6ft4-6ft6 (depending on which outlet you believe) 20 year old who was out on loan at Northampton (22 apps, 6 goals) and Cheltenham (13 apps, 3 goals) last season. From a quick Google search, it appears he didn't travel on Spurs' pre-season tour to South Korea and expects to leave this summer.

Can't say I've ever heard of him, and not a name I'd even heard mentioned before yesterday. Anyone got any thoughts/more info on him?
    Sounds like he's not the immediate answer to our problem position, more of another "project". On one level, the fact that he's six foot six is a bit of a negative, but if a team like Spurs were attracted to him originally, then you'd think there is a more rounded game there than that height may suggest.

Could all be rubbish of course, but this strikes me as the sort of player we're looking for given what Mehmet Dalman said on that video last week.

However, if the striker being mentioned on another board, Nahki Wells is the one who we want to sign on loan, then I'd say that an encouraging summer of rebuilding will be ending on a downbeat note.

interesting move if the link is genuine.

seems to be down the pecking order of young strikers at Spurs, Troy Parrot and Dane Scarlett for example, which could be why they'd be prepared to let him go now.
    If he came good though that could be a really good investment.
    looking at his career so far, probably isn't ready to be a main striker in the championship , but if we could get him to be that eventually then it will have been a good bit of business.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sounds like he's not the immediate answer to our problem position, more of another "project". On one level, the fact that he's six foot six is a bit of a negative, but if a team like Spurs were attracted to him originally, then you'd think there is a more rounded game there than that height may suggest.

Could all be rubbish of course, but this strikes me as the sort of player we're looking for given what Mehmet Dalman said on that video last week.

However, if the striker being mentioned on another board, Nahki Wells is the one who we want to sign on loan, then I'd say that an encouraging summer of rebuilding will be ending on a downbeat note.
    I love a palindromic name, don't you, Bob?

Let's face it we are unlikely to get an established striker. On paper Collins looked a good bet; established goalscorer, Irish International and cheap but look what happened to him. Our only option appears to be a striker that is over the hill or a project which this latest link appears to be. Of the two options I would prefer this Spurs guy even though it is probably a bigger risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I love a palindromic name, don't you, Bob?
    Yes, perhaps that's why we're after him? Been trying to think of another one who played for us, there must be some, but the best i could come up with was Noone

Yes, perhaps that's why we're after him? Been trying to think of another one who played for us, there must be some, but the best i could come up with was Noone
    ojo

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    ojo
    also Eze at Palace - I think him, ojo and Etete all have Nigerian descent, I wonder if palindromic names are common there

also Eze at Palace - I think him, ojo and Etete all have Nigerian descent, I wonder if palindromic names are common there
    I blame the parents watching too much countdown.

Easy for you to say.

Agree with all of that Bob- especially the Nakhi Wells bit! Appears Etete's potential would be vastly above Harris and Watters', but would likely require patience- something we're not blessed with as a fanbase.

I would have preferred Dane Scarlett but he’s gone on loan to Pompey.

Good move for them

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    I would have preferred Dane Scarlett but he’s gone on loan to Pompey.

Good move for them
    I'd imagine they'll do with him what they did with Etete last year- if all goes well at Portsmouth, hook him halfway through the season and loan him to a better standard of club- could be one to keep an eye on for a January loan maybe.

Logic would indicate signing Etete keeps our enviable record of giving money to Unique Sports Group each season.

From seeing him play u23 for Spurs twice he's got good feet / finds a cross - but dont remember him being on the end of a header or playing with back to goal - deep low crosses seemed to be how they played the ball into him

Nahki Wells - uninspiring - but if the case, hope he proves me wrong - wasn't he at QPR and was on fire one season then moved and stopped scoring? Maybe someone thinks we want to play like when he was at qpr and not BC hoof

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    From seeing him play u23 for Spurs twice he's got good feet / finds a cross - but dont remember him being on the end of a header or playing with back to goal - deep low crosses seemed to be how they played the ball into him

Nahki Wells - uninspiring - but if the case, hope he proves me wrong - wasn't he at QPR and was on fire one season then moved and stopped scoring? Maybe someone thinks we want to play like when he was at qpr and not BC hoof
    There’s a few goals by Etete when he was at Northampton and Cheltenham on video if you Google him - typical right place, right time striker’s goals, nothing special with one of them a close range header.

Not looked it up, but didn’t Wells score a hat trick against us in the New Years Day massacre a few years back?

There’s a few goals by Etete when he was at Northampton and Cheltenham on video if you Google him - typical right place, right time striker’s goals, nothing special with one of them a close range header.

Not looked it up, but didn’t Wells score a hat trick against us in the New Years Day massacre a few years back?
    Well, Well, Well.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Well, Well, Well.
    Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin'sReversibleHat View Post

I'd be happy with if we bought aEtete and took Wells on loan

WOL on the ball as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    WOL on the ball as always.
    The article says we’ve not paid any transfer fees this season. I know Tanner was only £50k but it still counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    A later Tweet from the same man says Spurs have insisted on inserting a buy back clause in the deal for a player they still rate a lot - sounds good, but it could mean if he does well, we may have to lose him for a relatively small fee.

Morison's done it again. This guy is like one of the mounties - always gets his man.