An interesting read:

Michael Chopra on gambling addiction and turning his life around

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62283858

Re: Chopra & Gambling

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    An interesting read:

Thanks for posting that, it sounds like Chopra may have turned a corner - it's not a surprise, but the article seems to confirm that gambling was a problem with him for all of the time he spent at City.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks for posting that, it sounds like Chopra may have turned a corner - it's not a surprise, but the article seems to confirm that gambling was a problem with him for all of the time he spent at City.
    I was told a tale by someone I knew who was close to an ex City player, that Chopra would irritate the feck out of Dave Jones. Chopra would race off the field at half time and spend the entire interval checking his phone for bets he had placed prior to the game kicking off. Not paying the slightest attention to Jones's half time team talk. Chopra knew that Jones wouldn't drop him

I was told a tale by someone I knew who was close to an ex City player, that Chopra would irritate the feck out of Dave Jones. Chopra would race off the field at half time and spend the entire interval checking his phone for bets he had placed prior to the game kicking off. Not paying the slightest attention to Jones's half time team talk. Chopra knew that Jones wouldn't drop him
    So the question begs....why didn't Jones just snatch the phone out of Chopra's hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    So the question begs....why didn't Jones just snatch the phone out of Chopra's hand?
    I'm not sure? What is your take on why he didn't do that ?

Mark Hudson said in the Under the cosh podcast, that one day at training, a couple of hard cases turned up looking for Chopra. Chopra got word of it before they seen him and hid. Dave Jones told the fellas Chopra wasn’t there and they went. Probably to do with gambling debts.
    Glad to see Chops has turned things around.

Any addiction is horrible and glad to see he's got it under control

It's easy to slip into especially online.

Find myself betting £100 a weekend whereas if I was in a bookies it would be £5 max

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    My interpretation of the Dave Jones years is that he gambled by bringing in a number of players who were very talented but had various problems and to an extent he just let them get on with it.

From a football perspective it nearly paid off spectacularly

One of the best strikers i’ve seen at the City. Unplayable on his day. Responsible for one of my favourite ever chants down the City as well.
    Glad to hear he’s eventually turning things around. Addictions are an absolute nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    My interpretation of the Dave Jones years is that he gambled by bringing in a number of players who were very talented but had various problems and to an extent he just let them get on with it.

From a football perspective it nearly paid off spectacularly
    I think you are right there with regard to talented footballers with problems.

I loved the football we played under Jones, He never quite got us over the line though

didnt Bellars hide his phone at 1/2 time and they got into a bust up, Chopra refused to go back out on the pitch till his phone was returned

Chopra told his side that he needed to check a "inspirational message" from a motivation speaker, yet it was no secret what was going on with his gambling and checking his phone at 1/2 time

I think you are right there with regard to talented footballers with problems.

I loved the football we played under Jones, He never quite got us over the line though
    We played some of the best football i’ve ever seen down the City under Jones. The 6-0 thrashing of the Wurzels, and Chops with his red hot boot celebration, right up there.
    The play off defeat against Blackpool was just heartbreaking. ( never felt so down after a game). On the down side, needing 1 point from the last 4 games and not getting it was unforgivable though.

International

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    We played some of the best football i’ve ever seen down the City under Jones. The 6-0 thrashing of the Wurzels, and Chops with his red hot boot celebration, right up there.
    The play off defeat against Blackpool was just heartbreaking. ( never felt so down after a game). On the down side, needing 1 point from the last 4 games and not getting it was unforgivable though.
    If Bothroyd had an injection, things would have been so different!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    https://youtu.be/kydyRktil6I
    Not sure what took more of a battering that night. The Wurzels or the City fans hot dog on 6m 43s !

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    didnt Bellars hide his phone at 1/2 time and they got into a bust up, Chopra refused to go back out on the pitch till his phone was returned

Chopra told his side that he needed to check a "inspirational message" from a motivation speaker, yet it was no secret what was going on with his gambling and checking his phone at 1/2 time
    Yep bellamy did that at ashton Gate. 2010/11 season around xmas time. New years day maybe.

International

An interesting read:

Hopefully he's over it, but most go back to it at some point.