+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Italian General Election

Italian General Election

25th September, after the last government collapsed.

Will be one of the most interesting and important elections in recent years given the relative importance of Italy and everything that is going on in Europe at the moment.

Will likely be a battle between the Democratic Party (centre left) and Brothers of Italy (right wing). I think the Democratic Party will win, but it will all come down to coalition partners and the Brothers of Italy could probably get over 50% more easily.

A minor party called Italexit are running for the first time too, which is interesting if nothing else.

Opinion Polls:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...neral_election

Re: Italian General Election

Election tomorrow. Always surprises me how little coverage and interest there is in these major European elections, compared to say the US.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/indepe...-b2173947.html

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Election tomorrow. Always surprises me how little coverage and interest there is in these major European elections, compared to say the US.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/indepe...-b2173947.html
    Indeed. Most people in Folkestone probably know very little about current affairs and politics just 20 miles south of them - and I'm using those people as a representation of us all in the UK and how parochial our media can be.

I find it bizarre. America is of course pretty much the most important country on earth (for want of a better word) with whom we share a linguistic and cultural heritage, but Italy is on our doorstep, and until recently who was elected would literally impact upon our own laws here. The gap between the coverage is very odd. Same goes for every European election. France and Germany perhaps get a little more coverage, but still..nothing compared to American presidential elections

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Indeed. Most people in Folkestone probably know very little about current affairs and politics just 20 miles south of them - and I'm using those people as a representation of us all in the UK and how parochial our media can be.
    Just look how parochial our media have been over the last 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Just look how parochial our media have been over the last 10 days.
    The UK media has of course been rather pre-occupied the last week or two, in an over the top manner many would say, but there we go. Nonetheless, it meant other news was pushed out which happens sometimes. But this isn't a new observation, it happens all the time.

And I'm not saying it should be followed avidly, but I do think it should be talked about more - both to understand Italy, to understand Europe and to understand also that many of the same problems exist everywhere and there are no easy answers etc.

Odd thread ..this is European business...nothing to see here. Go back to your sovereignty