+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Some Sense From A British Politician At Last

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Some Sense From A British Politician At Last

We will have to talk about peace and reconciliation at some point. The alternative is perpetual war. Escalation is unthinkable. You don't have to agree with or like Putin to see that is our only option.

So I'm concluding from the responses that anyone who talks of peace with Putin is naive. Thanks for that guys. War it is then. I think that anyone who talks of 'stopping Putin' should be prepared to take up arms themselves and fight. They should know that their own country is likely to be destroyed or crippled in the process and that their children, family and loved ones will likely die.

Saying things like Corbyn sounds like Putin's mouthpiece is unhelpful. I also realise that those of us who want to avoid an escalation of conflict will be shouted down as Putin appeasers. There doesn't seem to be much point in trying to have a sensible and mature discussion about this if this is a litmus test of people's feelings on this board.

MEP Clare Daly- speech from 23 Jun 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    We will have to talk about peace and reconciliation at some point. The alternative is perpetual war. Escalation is unthinkable. You don't have to agree with or like Putin to see that is our only option.

So I'm concluding from the responses that anyone who talks of peace with Putin is naive. Thanks for that guys. War it is then. I think that anyone who talks of 'stopping Putin' should be prepared to take up arms themselves and fight. They should know that their own country is likely to be destroyed or crippled in the process and that their children, family and loved ones will likely die.

Saying things like Corbyn sounds like Putin's mouthpiece is unhelpful. I also realise that those of us who want to avoid an escalation of conflict will be shouted down as Putin appeasers. There doesn't seem to be much point in trying to have a sensible and mature discussion about this if this is a litmus test of people's feelings on this board.

MEP Clare Daly- speech from 23 Jun 2022

I don't think anyone is suggesting perpetual war is preferable to peace talks. The point is that Putin's Russia would have occupied the whole of The Ukraine if he had not met stiff resistance and he will only come to the table to talk peace when he sees fit - and probably when he decides that war has go to the stage where there is an impasse and when he decides to settle for the chunk of Ukraine that he controls at that juncture. He is unlikely to hand back the Crimea, parts of the Donbas and other areas, of course.
    Zelensky is in the difficult position of having to send troops to war at present and when Putin decides to settle for what he has, Zelensky has the very difficult task of effectively letting part of his country go.
    I work for a charity that supports Ukranian refugees here in Somerset/Devon and the Ukranians I meet are currently in favour of resistance to Russia as things stand - so it's not a case of sitting here in the UK and unilaterally deciding that war should continue as it doesn't affect us personally.
    The peace, when it comes, will be down to pragmatism by Putin in respect of what he can realistically achieve in the conflict. It won't be down to western politicians appealing to him on humantarian grounds or by withdrawing logistical support to Ukraine's armed services.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I don't think anyone is suggesting perpetual war is preferable to peace talks. The point is that Putin's Russia would have occupied the whole of The Ukraine if he had not met stiff resistance and he will only come to the table to talk peace when he sees fit - and probably when he decides that war has go to the stage where there is an impasse and when he decides to settle for the chunk of Ukraine that he controls at that juncture. He is unlikely to hand back the Crimea, parts of the Donbas and other areas, of course.
    Zelensky is in the difficult position of having to send troops to war at present and when Putin decides to settle for what he has, Zelensky has the very difficult task of effectively letting part of his country go.
    I work for a charity that supports Ukranian refugees here in Somerset/Devon and the Ukranians I meet are currently in favour of resistance to Russia as things stand - so it's not a case of sitting here in the UK and unilaterally deciding that war should continue as it doesn't affect us personally.
    The peace, when it comes, will be down to pragmatism by Putin in respect of what he can realistically achieve in the conflict. It won't be down to western politicians appealing to him on humantarian grounds or by withdrawing logistical support to Ukraine's armed services.
    I don't understand her POV..how would the ukraine be able to join the EU if it was part of Russia?