Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
The 2019 manifesto was the 2017 one buried under an incoherent 'cop out' Brexit 'policy'.

It was balanced in that it pissed off Remainers and Leavers equally. Remind me who was the author of that policy? Not the Shadow Brexit Secretary, surely? That nice Keir Starmer? Corbyn has to take final responsibility as leader, but as is clear from the Forde Report amongst other sources, he was not in control of the PLP or Labour officials.

And whilst we're throwing the 'on steroids' label about - it certainly applies to the media abuse of Corbyn. There is no way that his treatment by the media was the norm for Labour leaders - it was on steroids and more.

He may have brought some of that on himself - although I doubt we will agree on when and how that happened - but it was way off the scale of what any other Labour leader ever got. I suppose the world has changed with the arrival of mass social media, but a simple comparison of newspaper front pages makes it clear enough.
I agree with you on the Brexit policy, it was a mess. The party was totally cornered by Brexit with the majority being remainers but a hardcore of hard left members supporting a ridiculous and fanciful "Lexit." IMHO this last group included Corbyn, who I believe was disingenuous in his support of remain. As you have alluded to, Corbyn had no control over the party and any party lacking strong leadership is doomed to fail.

Yes, Corbyn was treated appallingly by most of the media but he did bring a lot on to himself with documented comments and associations. Often clipped and exaggerated but that's what happens to Labour leaders. His recent comments about Ukraine shows clearly that he was never fit to lead the Labour Party or be PM. WTF is he doing speaking to a Lebanon TV station with links to Iran and the Assad regime in Syria?