+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Interest rates up 0.5%!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    International

Interest rates up 0.5%!

Tough times if you have stretched your mortgage and not fixed or are coming out of a fixed rate in the next 12 months!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62408868

Re: Interest rates up 0.5%!

I'm 33 now, since I've been an adult I've never known a good economy. Is this really the best we can do? The tories are economically illiterate, you're a fool if you believe otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I'm 33 now, since I've been an adult I've never known a good economy. Is this really the best we can do? The tories are economically illiterate, you're a fool if you believe otherwise.
    Don't be silly, mun. We're still paying for the fact Labour screwed the world economy in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Don't be silly, mun. We're still paying for the fact Labour screwed the world economy in 2008.
    Think the winter of discontent has got something to do with the problems the country is having currently as well.

International

Have you ever heard of Covid?

Are there Torries in America?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61804877

US makes biggest interest rate rise in almost 30 years

Are the Torries in Europe ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62240730

Eurozone raises interest rates for first time in 11 years

You can't shut the World down for two years and expect everything to be hunky dory!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post

You can't shut the World down for two years and expect everything to be hunky dory!

Are Torries the same as 'bogg trotters'?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Are Torries the same as 'bogg trotters'?
    I might create some 3D game creatures for a survival horror RPG and call them Torries!

....and yet, the Tories blamed Labour in 2008. Weird huh? It's almost like, what's the word?....oh yeah, hypocrisy.

True, but why is it that the UK is predicted to have the lowest growth rate out of the G20 apart from Russia?

https://www.newstatesman.com/chart-o...ery-g20-russia

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    True, but why is it that the UK is predicted to have the lowest growth rate out of the G20 apart from Russia?

https://www.newstatesman.com/chart-o...ery-g20-russia
    There is no good news around for anyone, but you needs to look at ACTUAL data, rather than predictions.

Usual real data, The UK currently has the second highest growth in the G20.
    https://tradingeconomics.com/country...al-growth-rate

This of course is linked to the previous anaemic growth, but so too must future growth (or lack thereof) be compared to the more rapid growth mentioned above. All economies are on slightly different cycles following Covid.

The reality is, there is very little good news around for anyone

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    There is no good news around for anyone, but you needs to look at ACTUAL data, rather than predictions.

The reality is, there is very little good news around for anyone
    Apart from Shell, BP, Exxon Mobil, Centrica and all the other Oil companies.

Usual (mis)interpetation of the situation from Doucus, and usual insult aimed at anyone who thinks differently.

If only the economy was as predictable.

I think you are incorrect. Interest rates and inflation have been consistently low for most of your adult life compared to say the 1970's when interest and mortgage rates were in excess of 20%.

In answer to Eric's comment - labour did not ruin the economy. It was World factors including a virtual collapse in the Banking system internationally. Labour got the blame for the financial crisis in 2008 but later detailed analyses showed that the problems experienced were due to factors completely outside their control. Again the country is in a growing financial mess due to factors outside governmental control such as COVID fallout and the war in Ukraine (which alone adds around 13% to inflation). It's going to be rough for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I think you are incorrect. Interest rates and inflation have been consistently low for most of your adult life compared to say the 1970's when interest and mortgage rates were in excess of 20%.

In answer to Eric's comment - labour did not ruin the economy. It was World factors including a virtual collapse in the Banking system internationally. Labour got the blame for the financial crisis in 2008 but later detailed analyses showed that the problems experienced were due to factors completely outside their control. Again the country is in a growing financial mess due to factors outside governmental control such as COVID fallout and the war in Ukraine (which alone adds around 13% to inflation). It's going to be rough for the next few years.
    Labour were cringingly apologetic too. They sucked up way too much Tory propaganda and didn't fight it properly. They were weak then when it came to opposing Tory austerity.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Labour were cringingly apologetic too. They sucked up way too much Tory propaganda and didn't fight it properly. They were weak then when it came to opposing Tory austerity.
    Eh! The Tories didn't gain power until 2 years after the 2008 crisis; austerity came much later. I agree that was a very poor policy. We should have been expanding the economy and not reducing it. The argument that there was no money was clearly incorrect as £405bn was found to pay for COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Eh! The Tories didn't gain power until 2 years after the 2008 crisis; austerity came much later. I agree that was a very poor policy. We should have been expanding the economy and not reducing it. The argument that there was no money was clearly incorrect as £405bn was found to pay for COVID.
    I know this. My point was when the Tories formed a coalition with the Lib Dems in 2010 the conservative narrative that Labour f*cked the economy and there was no money was created as means of justifying the austerity ideology and Labour were too weak and apologetic instead of fighting that narrative. Had they done so effectively, we still wouldn't have this nonsense that they were totally responsible for 2008 still peddled even today in this thread. So, we're actually in agreement, I think, though I can never really tell on CCMB.

When you read through the post on hear you can see they are just base on hated of a specific party , somewhere in the middle of all this is the truth , global events effect the economy whatever party is in power its what folk call globalism or being party of a bigger environment like the EU , incredibility for such a small such a small island /land mass compared to the huge continents and countries we are the sixth-largest national economy in the world and equally importantly the eighth-largest by purchasing power .

Now take a look at the political parties that have ruled over us in the last 60 years and you may find one party has been in charge of for the majority of time including the public purse that controls the NHS , Education , Police , Security ,the next question one may ask are the majority in a desperate position ??

Could we do better of course we could ,have we become spoilt perhaps ?

Do other countries have it worse , well yes as our wealth is 6th out of 193 countries and some have been starving for decades as we just waste ??

Is there a worse cost of living and poverty crisis elsewhere compared to what we face now I guess the answer would be yes and has been for decades , do we really care because our mortgages go up whilst others live in dreadful housing around the world ??? are we only reacting now because we can feel it coming ??

By the way town was busy tonight and it wasn't full of millionaires zzzzzzzzzzz

About 50% of the population of the UK are fools then. You also seemed to think anyone who doubted man-made climate change was a fool, the same with anyone who supported brexit. There's a theme running here..

You forgot to put Trump on that list. Anyway I don't think Brexit has happened due to the amount of times I keep hearing ECHR on the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Parti Mellow View Post
    You forgot to put Trump on that list. Anyway I don't think Brexit has happened due to the amount of times I keep hearing ECHR on the news.
    What has the ECHR got to do with Brexit?

Why do you peddle this rubbish ? Labour were in power from 1997 to 2010 and wrecked the economy. Blame them. Its taken the last 12 years to try to recover from what they did and now we have had a pandemic to deal with and Ukraine war as well. Employment and tax revenues are at record highs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Why do you peddle this rubbish ? Labour were in power from 1997 to 2010 and wrecked the economy. Blame them. Its taken the last 12 years to try to recover from what they did and now we have had a pandemic to deal with and Ukraine war as well. Employment and tax revenues are at record highs anyway.
    The economy was wrecked by a worldwide crash in 2008. The Conservative opposition of that time backed the measures Labour took to stop a run on banks - if Labour did wreck the economy, they did it with the backing of the main opposition parties.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post

You can buy 1 , 2 or 3 bedroom properties in Bargoed , Merthyr, Nelson between £70,000 - £120,000. In line with 1980’s prices.

Depends where you wish to live I guess and what you’re looking for

International

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    You can buy 1 , 2 or 3 bedroom properties in Bargoed , Merthyr, Nelson between £70,000 - £120,000. In line with 1980’s prices.

Depends where you wish to live I guess and what you’re looking for
    Great point and possible more affordable than many years ago?

Great point and possible more affordable than many years ago?
    Yes , in relative terms much more affordable with help to buy and the fact that mortgage companies take some means tested benefits into the affordability test.

The Doucas poster must be looking in North Cardiff