+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interest rates up 0.5%!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Interest rates up 0.5%!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    That's a silly remark
    Houses were cheaper but so were wages lower and then you could only borrow 2.5 x salary for a mortage, plus interest rates were a lot higher. Interest rates of 11% were not unusual.
    As an example when I got married in 1972 I had the opportunity to buy a 4 bedroom house for just over £10,000.00 but although I was on a good wages I couldn't afford the repayments. That same house today is worth over £1/4 million.
    So people then were using a much larger percentage of their disposable income to buy a house than you have ever experienced. But as you have never known any difference you expect it to last for ever. It doesn't sadly. We all wish it would.
    It was far easier to buy a house in the 1970s than it is now, I don't know how this can be denied? I'm still waiting for someone to address the glaring white elephant in the room that boomers at the same age owned 7x more wealth than millenials at the same age. I don't know why people are ignoring this fact and just denying that financially selfish older generations have ****ed younger ones over big time.

source- https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ers-2019-12-04

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    It was far easier to buy a house in the 1970s than it is now, I don't know how this can be denied? I'm still waiting for someone to address the glaring white elephant in the room that boomers at the same age owned 7x more wealth than millenials at the same age. I don't know why people are ignoring this fact and just denying that financially selfish older generations have ****ed younger ones over big time.

There is no argument that house/flat prices to salary ratios have grown steadily over the past 40 years. It has doubled for first time buyers. Private sector rents have also risen massively in real terms.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/5...affordability/

International

For a start thats America?

The facts look way out too!

Seriously you want to forget about this sort of jelousy, you can't help when you are born, but you can decide if you want to make the most out of your life, or constaly moan that life would have been better if this or that had happened.

Spend less time on here moaning about the torries and get on with your career, crying on here is not going to change anything!

International

On a phone so correcting some of the typos!

For a start that’s America?

The facts look way out too!

Seriously you want to forget about this sort of jealousy, you can't help when you are born, but you can decide if you want to make the most out of your life, or constantly moan that life would have been better if this or that had happened.

Spend less time on here moaning about the Tories and get on with your career, crying on here is not going to change anything.

How the heck do you know ? You can buy a new 2 bed just outside Cardiff for £250k A 90% mortgage will cost you £1100. You can get mortgages from practically everywhere - the Govt. will even chip in. I had to do odd jobs, save for 3 years with one of only 3 or 4 places you could get a mortgage - then once I'd saved up with them I had an 'interview' . No furniture/carpets, no white good. I had F. all. In those days you just went out and got on with it. Not a penny from my folks, and I didn't expect it either..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    How the heck do you know ? You can buy a new 2 bed just outside Cardiff for £250k A 90% mortgage will cost you £1100. You can get mortgages from practically everywhere - the Govt. will even chip in. I had to do odd jobs, save for 3 years with one of only 3 or 4 places you could get a mortgage - then once I'd saved up with them I had an 'interview' . No furniture/carpets, no white good. I had F. all. In those days you just went out and got on with it. Not a penny from my folks, and I didn't expect it either..
    These youngsters could always buy a house up the valleys if they really wanted to get on the ladder,plenty going for less £100,000. And these youngsters can afford it just get rid of their Netflix, top mobile phone contract, Sky, holidays etc. etc but they would rather moan than actually do any of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by ABLUEBIRD View Post
    These youngsters could always buy a house up the valleys if they really wanted to get on the ladder,plenty going for less £100,000. And these youngsters can afford it just get rid of their Netflix, top mobile phone contract, Sky, holidays etc. etc but they would rather moan than actually do any of the above.
    Is Netflix, at what 8.99 a month actually deemed a luxury these days? It’s less than 2 pints in a pub…..some saving if you ditch it, that £100 a year….

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Is Netflix, at what 8.99 a month actually deemed a luxury these days? It’s less than 2 pints in a pub…..some saving if you ditch it, that £100 a year….
    Don’t know mate I’m old and don’t have Netflix, nor a £30+per month phone contract or Sky at what £60 plus , you see how it all adds up

Quote Originally Posted by ABLUEBIRD View Post
    Don’t know mate I’m old and don’t have Netflix, nor a £30+per month phone contract or Sky at what £60 plus , you see how it all adds up
    Not to old to sign up on here though after all these years…..it’s free all this knowledge you’ll gain

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I have that sorted, got my daughter to pay for it so its free for me

I don't know why people are ignoring this fact and just denying that financially selfish older generations have ****ed younger ones over big time.
    as Mike Rutherford once sang, Every generation, Blames the one before ( always knew at some point in my life I could use that , today is the day )

its not a new thing, I can remember the old boys on site when I was a apprentice blaming the last generation for this and that

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    as Mike Rutherford once sang, Every generation, Blames the one before ( always knew at some point in my life I could use that , today is the day )

its not a new thing, I can remember the old boys on site when I was a apprentice blaming the last generation for this and that
    Yeah, but I think pretty much being responsible for a 6th extinction event is a bit of a biggie Matt and guarantees nobody will be writing songs about it. https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/what-...sixth-one.html