+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Interest rates up 0.5%!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Interest rates up 0.5%!

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    It happens, when we downsized my mums house for a bungalow, the guy in the bungalow rang me the night before it was going to go through. He said we going to have to postpone a few days as he had to find a new safe place to put the 250k he had in cash hidden in the bungalow we were buying…..I couldn’t believe it. Said he didn’t trust the banks. Bit of a one off he was but I know a few who took a lump out of their pension, topped it up with savings and bought a house to rent out….
    It's no surprise , when there is big money to be made that there are a lot of dodgy people involved who don't care about the people who rent off them .

And nor did the government who encouraged it all .

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    What's the difference between rental privately and through the Council, ie Housing Associations ? People need to rent for lots of reasons.
    Rented property used to be mostly council , with a small residential renting sector .

Thatcher sold off council houses and the area left was taken up by private landlords .....higher rents and less security for the tenant .

Of course there are decent landlords but people I know with no interest in the welfare of tenants and their housing situation own upwards of 30 properties .

Whilst some people may just want a 1 year let for a short term work contract many others rely on private landlords because there is no housing to rent from the state and very little is being built .

When the landlord for financial reasons decides to give the tenants notice they have to look elsewhere . It's very stressful , a lot of people in this country have a roof over their head but are forever looking over their shoulder , its no way to live and those who saw over this sort of housing policy should be ashamed of themselves .

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Rented property used to be mostly council , with a small residential renting sector .

Thatcher sold off council houses and the area left was taken up by private landlords .....higher rents and less security for the tenant .

Of course there are decent landlords but people I know with no interest in the welfare of tenants and their housing situation own upwards of 30 properties .

Whilst some people may just want a 1 year let for a short term work contract many others rely on private landlords because there is no housing to rent from the state and very little is being built .

When the landlord for financial reasons decides to give the tenants notice they have to look elsewhere . It's very stressful , a lot of people in this country have a roof over their head but are forever looking over their shoulder , its no way to live and those who saw over this sort of housing policy should be ashamed of themselves .
    Top post! Well said Sludge!

I know a few of the larger ones. They don't put in fire alarms/smoke detectors and are happy to take the hit with a fine. The max is £5k but it's now about £10k to fit out an HMO.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I know a few of the larger ones. They don't put in fire alarms/smoke detectors and are happy to take the hit with a fine. The max is £5k but it's now about £10k to fit out an HMO.
    There is a place as you were indicating in your question for buy to let but the fact its now such a large part of providing housing for this country ......High rents , very poor security of occupation .....is bad news

There are some very socially minded landlords out there . Nothing wrong with using wealth to help others at the same time as developing a business .

There is a place as you were indicating in your question for buy to let but the fact its now such a large part of providing housing for this country ......High rents , very poor security of occupation .....is bad news

There are some very socially minded landlords out there . Nothing wrong with using wealth to help others at the same time as developing a business .
    Agreed. There should be better protection for private tenants and more properties available for long-term rental contracts. Rolling 12 months is a nightmare for many, especially families.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    meanwhile.......Exxon Mobil made $18bn in profits in the past three months. Shell and Chevron each made nearly $12bn. Those are all record numbers.
    They are wholesalers and not retailers per se.

No one complained when they made record losses in 2020.

They are also taxed at an effective rate of 65% on UK profits.

The taxpayer does well out of their profits, so do pension funds

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    They are wholesalers and not retailers per se.

No one complained when they made record losses in 2020.

They are also taxed at an effective rate of 65% on UK profits.

The taxpayer does well out of their profits, so do pension funds
    My heart bleeds. Seriously, I'm choked.