+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: It's time for Martin Tyler to retire

It's time for Martin Tyler to retire

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-62435996

Football commentator Martin Tyler has apologised after referring to "Hillsborough and other hooligan-related issues" in a BBC interview.

Re: It's time for Martin Tyler to retire

It’s a massive overreaction. Tyler’s a decent man. If he’d used the word ‘various’ instead of ‘other’, nobody would have batted an eyelid. I’m sure he wasn’t for one minute suggesting Hillsborough was a hooligan issue.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It’s a massive overreaction. Tyler’s a decent man. If he’d used the word ‘various’ instead of ‘other’, nobody would have batted an eyelid. I’m sure he wasn’t for one minute suggesting Hillsborough was a hooligan issue.
    Absolutely.

Seems like a slip of the tongue to me too

Everyone with a political leaning in Liverpool always jumps on every word of the disaster that gives themselves air time. It was a disaster but they still use it as a political points scoring.....

Sadly it was the same for politicians at the time who jumped on hooliganism & Hillsb'gh for the same reasons - political points scoring

Everyone forgets that the way fans were treated across the country at any game was dehumanised - open air toilets, horses charging through, people rammed together, etc etc - and the idiots - the hooligans - gave owners and authorities more justification for treating people the way they did. Thats the only linkage - hooligans made it acceptable for these people to behave the way they did at Hills'bgh and for the lies to seem believable.

As for Tyler - yep decent guy; used the wrong word. if only they would Calm Down, Calm Down

His comments are minor compared to comments and actions of former and present members of Sky Sports.

A slip of the tongue. However, he should be sacked for this...
    'AND ITS LIVE!'

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    His comments are minor compared to comments and actions of former and present members of Sky Sports.
    Any examples?

Everyone on TV is under the spotlight. Even the slightest slip is highlighted. He's a decent commentator and that's enough for me.

This.

What happened at Hillsborough was awful and the cover up completely wrong, could have been any of us. However they do like to jump on any misstep regarding it, Tyler used a wrong word - simple as that. Sky are a pretty obnoxious organisation, but I hope they don’t bow to pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    This.

What happened at Hillsborough was awful and the cover up completely wrong, could have been any of us. However they do like to jump on any misstep regarding it, Tyler used a wrong word - simple as that. Sky are a pretty obnoxious organisation, but I hope they don’t bow to pressure.
    I've heard the interview in question. He leaves quite a pause after saying Hillsborough, it wasn't as if he just rattled off 'Hillsborough and other hooligan related issues' in one breath.

It's where we're at, though. During the Wales - Ukraine playoff final Tyler said of an injured Ukrainian player that he would 'soldier on'. I regard Tyler as one of the best wordsmiths to commentate on football. It's where society is at, though, where someone now gets rinsed for an accidental slip of the tongue. Surely common sense dictates whether something is accidental or not.

Spot on

Tyler has done nothing wrong

But the reason why Merseyside is so twitchy about Hillsborough is because .....it was a fecking traumatic nightmare

It's not good saying the scousers are victims etc as if a similar disaster happened to us it would have torn our fans and city to bits . And like Liverpool , it would still be very raw .

👍

did he mean heysel when he mentioned other hooligan related issues ?

Think he’s over rated myself, but there’s no way he should be sacked for what he said - he’s apologised and that should be an end to the matter.

I'm possibly the only one here who actively avoids listening to Martin Tyler. I've never ever liked his commentating style and I regularly turn the sound down on the TV when he's commentating. To be fair he's not the only one, there's only a tiny minority of football commentators I am prepared to listen to nowadays. I come from the radio listening fan base and afficionados of Alan Greene and his Ilk.

However, I don't think Tyler's comments on Hillsborough merit his sacking. If you happen to enjoy his commentating style then he has provided excellent service over many years.