+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fair play to Brighton

Fair play to Brighton

Selling 2 players - Ben White to Arsenal last season and now Cucurella to Chelsea for a whopping total of £110m is not to be sniffed at.

I like the way they have evolved as a club in recent times. Having a great coach helps as does having an excellent recruitment team. I'd like to think we could do something similar in the future but I can't see it happening with the current set-up.

Re: Fair play to Brighton

They also made something like a £15 million profit on Yves Bissouma when he signed for Spurs recently.

You're right, Brighton appear to have been a really well-run club for some time. This will be their sixth season in the top flight following promotion in 2017. They're showing what can be done.

Fair play.
    They finished 1 place and 2 points ahead of us in 2018/19. How things could have been different for both clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Selling 2 players - Ben White to Arsenal last season and now Cucurella to Chelsea for a whopping total of £110m is not to be sniffed at.

I like the way they have evolved as a club in recent times. Having a great coach helps as does having an excellent recruitment team. I'd like to think we could do something similar in the future but I can't see it happening with the current set-up.
    I liked that they rejected City's offers of £30m+ for Cucurella and Chelsea ended up paying twice that (if you believe the media anyway), after he has had one good season in the Premier League.

Now THAT is how you negotiate.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Fair play.
    They finished 1 place and 2 points ahead of us in 2018/19. How things could have been different for both clubs.
    Hard to say it but the right club survived in 2018/19. They obviously had plans in place to progress as a club whereas we most certainly didn't.

Clearly they have a very good recruitment strategy. We should be pinpointing 3 or 4 prospects each year for a low fee as a potential future investment.
    You're not always going to get it bang on, but as they've shown, it only takes the odd one here and there to strike gold and set you up nicely.

It's good to see them pulling up a few trees in the greedy league

I think their fans deserve it , all those years at Gillingham then the withdean .

We wouldn't have got through that , the club would have folded .

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Clearly they have a very good recruitment strategy. We should be pinpointing 3 or 4 prospects each year for a low fee as a potential future investment.
    You're not always going to get it bang on, but as they've shown, it only takes the odd one here and there to strike gold and set you up nicely.
    Isn't that what we are doing now ? I think people need to stop beating the club over the head with things that happened five, ten years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's good to see them pulling up a few trees in the greedy league

I think their fans deserve it , all those years at Gillingham then the withdean .

We wouldn't have got through that , the club would have folded .
    You seem to have a generally low opinion of City fans.
    How can you say for sure that we wouldn't have responded in the same way?

If Saturday was anything to go by I think our manager and recruitment staff have done a good job by bottom fishing in the market. WE seem to have a much better team than last season at a fraction of the cost (if WOL is anything to go by) in terms of wages.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Isn't that what we are doing now ? I think people need to stop beating the club over the head with things that happened five, ten years ago.
    Who's doing that? Not me, that's for sure!

The only potential investment we've made recently is Etete. Let's be brutally honest here, most of our academy prospects usually fall short. We should be buying in 3 or 4 Etete's each year.

Don't think you're being fair there. We are just praising a club who has got it right and wishing we could follow in their footsteps. Nothing wrong with that. However, yes we do appear to have changed our strategy, which is refreshing to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I liked that they rejected City's offers of £30m+ for Cucurella and Chelsea ended up paying twice that (if you believe the media anyway), after he has had one good season in the Premier League.

We bid £30 million+ for Cucurella

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We bid £30 million+ for Cucurella
    £20million of that was just for his hair.

Isn't that what we are doing now ?
    It looks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

Ex-Barcelona failure who thought Brighton was beneath him. He probably thinks it will will improve his chances of international football too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Ex-Barcelona failure who thought Brighton was beneath him. He probably thinks it will will improve his chances of international football too.
    It's a win win situation for both sides. Brighton get a huge amount of cash and Cucurella gets an opportunity to play for one of the top teams in the country. No losers there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    You seem to have a generally low opinion of City fans.
    How can you say for sure that we wouldn't have responded in the same way?
    There is absolutely no way that if we had to play our home games 70 miles away then play several seasons at a sports centre we would have survived

That's not having a low opinion of Cardiff City fans , it's just staring us in the face

The stress and hassle the trust had from our own fanbase was proof of that

They’ve done well so far with a good manager to go with it. However you get the impression that their fans would just be happy to stay there. Having said that , they are by no means guaranteed to stay in the Promised Land and a slump in form over half a dozen games would see them in a relegation battle. Like similar clubs of their standard, they definitely need a good start this season. If they don’t start well, doubts will creep in , into their eligibility to stay where they are.Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    They’ve done well so far with a good manager to go with it. However you get the impression that their fans would just be happy to stay there. Having said that , they are by no means guaranteed to stay in the Promised Land and a slump in form over half a dozen games would see them in a relegation battle. Like similar clubs of their standard, they definitely need a good start this season. If they don’t start well, doubts will creep in , into their eligibility to stay where they are.Time will tell.
    I certainly know after 3 , 1 season visits since 1961 most of us would be happy to just hand around . Even doing a Swansea for 6 years would be like winning the lottery .

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    It's a win win situation for both sides. Brighton get a huge amount of cash and Cucurella gets an opportunity to play for one of the top teams in the country. No losers there.
    Getafe paid 6 million Euro for him, and Brighton paid around 18 million Euro, so Chelsea have been rinsed again.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I certainly know after 3 , 1 season visits since 1961 most of us would be happy to just hand around . Even doing a Swansea for 6 years would be like winning the lottery .
    Probably more of a downer getting relegated after establishing yourself in the top division for a number of years than yo-yoing like Norwich and West Brom for instance but yeah it would be nice to hang around for say 5-10 years.